D&D 5E Playing D&D with my 6 year old

NotAYakk

Legend
For a pet, Scene 3b: Dragon, Green Egg and Ham should deliver her a Pseudodragon ally.

I just have to find some bad jokes to use.

Why couldn’t the dragon eat his birthday cake?
He destroyed it while trying to blow out the candles.

Why did the Dragon Cross the Road?
He wanted to eat some chicken.

Why do dwarves hunt dragons in the morning?
Because the early beard gets the wyrm

Have you ever seen a baby dragon eating ice cream?
It'll melt your heart.

Why are dragons such good story tellers?
Because they have long tails

From here:
What do you get if you cross a river with a suit of armour?"
"I don't know?"
"Let's find out!" (throws someone in armor into water)

-What do you call a bear with no teeth? -Hungry. (or gummy bear)

-What do you call a pig who knows karate? Amazing. (or pork chop)

-What do you call an alligator in a vest? -Stuck. (Investi-gator)

What do elves learn in school? The elf-abet. Get it? Because it sounds just like the alphabet, but it's the elf-a-bet! Because they're elves.

What do you call a halfling marriage? A full-ling. A FULL-ling. Because they are both HALF-lings. And two halfs makes a full. Why aren't you laughing?

Do you know what a dragon’s fart smells like? Proceed to fart on party

Have him act like a host, offer to prepare them food. Whatever they ask for, serve steak instead (particularly if anyone is a vegetarian). When they complain, say it was a simple mis-steak.

Why did the dragon cross the road? To get the gold on the other side!

-Knock, knock.
-Who's there?
-[PC's name]
-[name] who?
-You don't know who you are! Hahaha

How do you scale a [field/mountain/forest/village?]
proceeds to place a scale on the ground

How do you end a [stroy, list] quickly?
You dont let it dragon too long!

I’ve met Elves and half-elf’s, Orcs and half-orc’s, but I’ve yet to meet a full blooded Ling.

A human, an elf and a dwarf enter a bar. A fly lands in each of their drinks. The human flicks the fly out and downs his, the elf pushes his away, and the dwarf lifts the fly and shakes it yelling, “spit it out ya thieving bugger”

Our bard uses only one chord to create an illusion.
renderTimingPixel.png

It's A minor.

NotAYakk

Legend
Scene 3: The Town Square

Scene 3a.1: Dragon, Green Egg and Ham

You hear the festival going on in the town square. When you enter it, you see something new: a huge, dark dragon in the middle of the town square. Your heart starts to pound.

Now you have read about dragons. You have heard stories about dragons. You have even seen pictures.

Make a DC 14 wisdom save. On failure, you are Frightened. Your mouth drops open. Your legs tremble. You physically cannot move closer to the Dragon. Until someone sees your reaction, and says:
"Amazing isn't it? It looks so lifelike. Hard to believe it was made out of stone!"

On success, you start becoming frightened, then realize that nobody else is, and that the Dragon isn't moving -- it isn't even breathing.

There is a large Dragon statue in the middle of the Town Square. It wasn't there the last time you where in town, before the trip to your Aunt's. It looks huge and so lifelike.

(Backstory: It was a gift given to the town by a nearby Dragonborn community. In fact, two Dragonborn are standing in front of it in ceremonial outfits.)

Scene 3a.2: Green Egg.

The dragon is sitting on a Green Egg. This egg is not easy to see. Hints:

History: The Dragonborn ceremonial outfits are egg hatching outfits. That is strange?
Perception: As you pass the Dragon, you see a green glow coming from between its legs.
Insight: You feel something pulling you towards the dragon. Sort of the opposite of the Fear you felt earlier.

(Presuming protagonist finds a green egg)

Scene 3a.3: And Ham.

(The egg hatches a pseudo dragon, which bonds with the protagonist. The pseudodragon is a bit of a comedian (come up with pre-canned jokes). Social encounter. Maybe has to protect said pseudo dragon from a problem?)

Scene 3b: Games Games!
(You didn't bring your purse. But you do have a few coins in your pocket. There is an archery game where you can win more coins, however (and maybe more games?))

Archery: Pay 3 cp to try to hit a bullseye with a light crossbow.
10: Hit the target. Shoot again!
15: Outer circle. Get your 3 cp back.
20: Red circle. Earn 1 sp.
25+ or natural 20: Bullseye! 2 sp!

From these look reasonable:

Greased Pig Catching
Head-to-head. Roll initiative for the first chance. DC 18 grapple check (greased), then a DC 18 strength and DC 18 dex check to get it out of the pen.

Arm Wrestling
Roll 1d4+Strength, then 1d6, etc. Get a +1 to your roll for each previous win. First to win by a margin of 5 wins.

What's that Smell?

1d20 contestants are seated at a table with blindfolds on. Each round, something will put put in front of their nose and each contestant must guess what it is. Players are welcome to say anything from normal to absolutely absurd things. Last one around wins.

Contestants must roll 1d20 to see if they were right. On a roll of 10 - Perception, they were correct. On being incorrect, they get one more try. If both attempts are failed, they are knocked out. The DM is expected to reveal an absolutely completely absurd thing as the right answer. (eg, roasted dragon's thigh, pickled basilisk lips, a dwarf's bum, etc.)

(TODO: more)

Scene 3c: Adults looking for you!
(Have to avoid some adults who are looking for the wayward princess.)

(TODO: names of the adults, some minimal stats)

Scene 4: The Lemon Tart Cart!
(Buying or stealing the lemon tart. Eating it. Maybe getting caught.)

The tart costs 2 sp, or 1 gp for a half-dozen.

Last edited:

SpellJammer16

Apprentice of the Seventh Circle of Mystery
Great ideas here. Good luck with this!

I'm currently playing with my 4 and 6 yo. but I'm still learning the later rules lol so we are still board gaming it.

I pretty much replace anything I can with painted miniatures on any games we get to D&Dify it.

I'm fortunate enough to have copy of this game below and the expansions and a large miniature collection so it's pretty miniature heavy when we play.

They also like the Adventure game system... We have tried Castle Ravenloft so far and we printed out the campaign rules for it.

My biggest complaint with this one is the cards don't have alot of art and when you can't read that well the pictures are helpful.

They are actually asking to go back to Ravenloft because they want me to be in the Party instead of being the DM. While I like that they want to include me I hope they get used to it :p:cool:

delphonso

Explorer
Depending on how good you are at improv, this and the posts here are plenty. I've done a few games with kids (I'm a tutor) and found they react better than you expect. Imaginative, as people said, and often willing to fail if success seems possible soon.

Enjoy, and remember: do the voices.

Remove ads