D&D 5E Playing through a Sample Stat Draft (COMPLETED!)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus

No, you didn't. I made a mistake in clearing up the mistake. Sigh. You listed CON 14 for both, not 12. (I have now edited the post).

Homer Simpson Thinking GIF

Yeah, that is one of the potential bugs I am trying to work out (though I tend to prefer lower stats that are built on through play - but also tend to prefer longer old-school campaigns). However, I do think that if Swarmy had made one or two choices differently, his total would have been 69 or 70 without changing others people's totals too much.
I'd like to see the array today. We don't have to start today, but I would like to see what you generate next.

Swarmkeeper also chose two stats below 10, otherwise he would have +3. After placing his ASIs he would have +3, even if her back-filled the 8 and 9 with a +2/+1. Interesting...
Yeah, with my over-eager, rules-misunderstanding 8 pick, I definitely left that STR 10 on the table. With it, I see how I still would have had 1st pick for the 2nd go-through. Later, when I needed CHA, 9 was unfortunately best on the board.

Conny's ok with it, though. He has assistant librarians who do the real heavy lifting for him, even if he is just ever so slightly awkward in asking them to do it...

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yeah, with my over-eager, rules-misunderstanding 8 pick, I definitely left that STR 10 on the table. With it, I see how I still would have had 1st pick for the 2nd go-through. Later, when I needed CHA, 9 was unfortunately best on the board.

Conny's ok with it, though. He has assistant librarians who do the real heavy lifting for him, even if he is just ever so slightly awkward in asking them to do it...
What are the rules on swapping? I’d be willing to trade that 10 strength for your 8 if that’s allowed. Seems a bummer to get burned for a simple rules misunderstanding, and I had been planning to dump strength anyway thanks to that 16 Dex.

What are the rules on swapping? I’d be willing to trade that 10 strength for your 8 if that’s allowed. Seems a bummer to get burned for a simple rules misunderstanding, and I had been planning to dump strength anyway thanks to that 16 Dex.
Thank you! I do appreciate the gesture but, honestly, I'm fine with it. It's only 5% off the average. Although, if @el-remmen starts throwing 9 foot wide pits at us in our hypothetical campaign, I may rethink my decision and wish I had accepted your offer... leaving your character to figure out how to use that highest party Dex to parkour their way past such hazards. :p

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
What are the rules on swapping?

While I have never allowed it, a friend who ran a stat draft for one his campaigns did allow some limited swapping, though I don't remember what the limits were. Probably one swap per person. Personally, I'd rather make sure everyone understands the draft rules from the outset than try to mitigate their choices after the fact.

I also think that getting to choose between sets and putting the other in the bank for anyone to use means everyone will have a good chance of getting a version of what they want.

Remove ads