• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Playstation 3 pricing announced

Arnwyn

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
I find it amusing though how they are flat out lying and stating both versions of the PS3 have identical functionality when they obviously don't. In the E3 coverage I was checking out they were stating that, but you can't do true HD on the "lite" version due to the lack of the proper output and that lovely DRM packed Blu-Ray down sampling the HD output. So apparently the 499 dollar vesion can only output like 480 resolution instead of 1080. But that kind of marketing BS isn't nearly as bad as thier behavior in the music arena.
That's only speculation with people only looking at the hardware from outside a glass case and making wild guesses. "Obviously" indeed.

Unconfirmed.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Isn't there a "flag" in blu-ray that can be turned on that will downsample the output unless you are connected via HDMI, which the PS3 lacks? So the lower cost version lacks the digital output which is a definate loss of functionality I would think. Now the ICT flag is soemthing that is enabled on a disc by disc basis from what I've been reading so it will be up to the studios. However to think it won't be used is foolish IMO based on the direction the media conglomerates are trying to move. Not to mention the lack of Wi-Fi or memory card readers.

I don't decry them for having a cheaper version, I just thougth it was kind of weak for the rep I heard to claim they both have identical functionality. For me its just an academic discussion since I don't buy Sony anymore.

I am pulling for the new Nintendo to really hammer both Microsoft and Sony though. :)

Arnwyn

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Isn't there a "flag" in blu-ray that can be turned on that will downsample the output unless you are connected via HDMI, which the PS3 lacks? So the lower cost version lacks the digital output which is a definate loss of functionality I would think.
Only for movies, and not for games. IGN had a "Truth about Blu-Ray" article just a short time ago.

Now the ICT flag is soemthing that is enabled on a disc by disc basis from what I've been reading so it will be up to the studios. However to think it won't be used is foolish IMO based on the direction the media conglomerates are trying to move.
Correct (again, for movies).

Not to mention the lack of Wi-Fi or memory card readers.
Unconfirmed.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Well movies is what I was talking about. :)

I would assume that Sony wouldn't be so foolish as the downgrade the video quality of thier own games...but then again I would have thought Sony wouldn't be so foolish as to put rootkits on CD's then lie about it when caught.

As for the memory card reader that was confirmed by a CEO in an article on ars technica. He claims you can hook it up to your PC with USB and do that functionality. Anyway here is the article I was reading earlier Ars Technica article

John Crichton

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
I am pulling for the new Nintendo to really hammer both Microsoft and Sony though. :)
I'd start with wishing for some halfway decent 3rd party supprt and more than 3-4 excellent exclusive games per year. Don't get me wrong, I want all the consoles to put out lots of great games (I'm not for any one company over the other as I support all 3) but Nintendo's consoles haven't produced nearly enough great games in the last 2 console generations. :(

Zappo

Explorer
trancejeremy said:
In Sony's case though, it was basicaly a different company.
True that. Remember that Sony is an enormous company with many independent divisions. Chances are that the unethical people who are responsible for the rootkit fiasco have nothing to do at all with those that are behind the PS3. Then again, I'm enough of a bastard to buy from an unethical company if they make me a good enough offer. :]
Flexor the Mighty! said:
I find it amusing though how they are flat out lying and stating both versions of the PS3 have identical functionality when they obviously don't.
As you noted, they do have the same functionality for games (unlike the two versions of 360, I may add, since one of them lacks the HD and provides no alternative), which is what they were talking about. The cheaper PS3 only provides less ways to express some of those functionalities, but never removes them altogether: you still have net connectivity (only, you'll have to use a wire) and you still can save on a removable device (only, it'll be a USB stick instead of a memory card).

There is only one functionality that the cheaper PS3 really removes, and that is importing PS2 game saves (since AFAIK the PS2 only saves to memory card).

KenM

Banned
Banned
Zappo said:
As you noted, they do have the same functionality for games (unlike the two versions of 360, I may add, since one of them lacks the HD and provides no alternative)

Thats not true. The 360 does have memory card units for it. Not sure how much MB it holds though.

Last edited:

Arnwyn

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Anyway here is the article I was reading earlier Ars Technica article
Thanks for that!

The Ars Technica writer was a little misleading, though, (and Kaz was correct) as we all know we can watch HD just fine (and have been doing so) with our "analog" cables (namely component cables). The lack of HDMI is hardly concerning (except for the future, when the movie studios actually do implement their HDMI/HTCP-only security 'features'). Then the owners of the gimped PS3 will be screwed. Bleh. (But, really, who buys the gimped models anyways? The 'Core' 360 is selling quite poorly compared to the 'Premium' package.)

But in any case, Sony deserves all the bile thrown at it for releasing two different versions (just like MS got theirs when they announced two packages). Dumb.

ohGr

First Post
Anyone remember this?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=11209

Phil Harrison has criticised Microsoft for planning to put two versions of the new Xbox 360 console on the market, claiming the decision will merely "create confusion" for consumers.

[...]

Speaking at the European Game Developers' Conference in London today, when asked if Sony might follow in the Redwood giant's footsteps the VP of studios replied: "Unlikely."

"Are there two versions of the Xbox 360 that people want to buy, is my question," he continued. "I don't know."

"This is my personal view, not my corporate view, but when I look at those formats, I think it just confuses the audience. They don't know which one to buy, developers don't know which one to create for, and retailers don't know which one to stock."

"So I think we wouldn't take that strategy. We wouldn't create confusion," he concluded.

Heh. :heh:

Sorry, i couldn't resist. :D

Remove ads