D&D (2024) Playtest Druid and Paladin One D&D survey is live.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
It's always surprising to me how many people don't seem to actually want mechanical fairness. I mean, are a lot of people really saying "Pfft, I don't care if the Druid can have 150% of my hit points as a dumb bear as long as I can hit stuff with a greatsword using action surge four times in one round for 2d6+4!"?

Incenjucar

Legend
It's always surprising to me how many people don't seem to actually want mechanical fairness. I mean, are a lot of people really saying "Pfft, I don't care if the Druid can have 150% of my hit points as a dumb bear as long as I can hit stuff with a greatsword using action surge four times in one round for 2d6+4!"?
Make sure primary casters gets the short end of the unfairness stick and you'll see plenty of people proclaim how important it is.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I can't speak for everyone, but what I want is for every class to feel like it is described. I want my fighter to be a master of combat. I want my wizard to be able to make the laws of physics shut up and sit down. I want my druid to be a master, or perhaps a force, of nature. Those things are more important to me than how equally they all perform in comparison to each other. This is why I liked the varying experience tables of editions gone by and much of the OSR.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I can't speak for everyone, but what I want is for every class to feel like it is described. I want my fighter to be a master of combat. I want my wizard to be able to make the laws of physics shut up and sit down. I want my druid to be a master, or perhaps a force, of nature. Those things are more important to me than how equally they all perform in comparison to each other. This is why I liked the varying experience tables of editions gone by and much of the OSR.
Why not both?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I keep hearing how you don't need 6-8 encounters per day to challenge a group and you can do it with only 1 or 2 encounters. If that's true then damage over the day is going to vary quite a bit based on DM encounter choices. The fewer the number of encounters, the bigger the hit the new paladin will take.
Why would anyone say that, it's clearly not true...? Sure, you can have fun with a less than full Adventure day, but that's still the basis of balancing options. This Paladij change does mean that Paladins won't overpwrform as much on less full days: I reckon that Monks and Warlocks will get adjustments the other way, to make them underperformed less on non-full days. On full Advebturijf days, this change has zero effect on the Paladin's output.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The idea of a martial support still exists.

Give them bonus action help of rogues mastermind. Commander's stike from the battle master. Share second wind of the banneret. Expertise to trip. Ect...

Stuff like that.

Really, there are enough features already in the game. They just need put them together in coherent package.
They don't really need to as 4E encouraged, to fill out a grid. As you point out, there are options that get the job done already.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The new Paladin isn't nerfed: theybget the same number of Smites in an Adventuring day, the tempo has been adjusted slightly.
No idea, but I get told it by a number of folks whenever I complain about the game being balanced around 6-8 encounters per adventuring day. 🤷‍♂️

Parmandur

Book-Friend
No idea, but I get told it by a number of folks whenever I complain about the game being balanced around 6-8 encounters per adventuring day. 🤷‍♂️
I mean, it is balanced around that as the maximum: there is plenty of fun to be had below the balance threshold, bit valance gets wonky. Thus fix makes it less won't to go under the threshold, without changing the balance.

Remove ads