D&D (2024) Playtest Druid and Paladin One D&D survey is live.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Feedback mostly positive. Gave Druid overall high rank, and then bottom ranked half its features, used every avaialable word for my primary written feedback.

Basically, moon is boring, wild shape too limited in several unnecessary ways, base class should upgrade other uses of channel nature not just wild shape.

Said that wild shape should either be less limited. Just give tiny forms a durability limitation, and put them and aquatic forms at level one bc wtf? Add Fey at later levels, and the ability to cast self and touch spells either to the base feature or to moon Druid.

Moon also needs to invoke the moon, like having lycanthropy themed regeneration, eventual hybrid forms, ability to add radiant damage in the form of moonlight with attacks, ability to take on a luminous spirit form, etc.

Wild companion should be a spirit advisor, not a less-good-than-the-spell familiar.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
As I read the changes to dying (stable is not longer a thing), you regain 1 hit point and remain unconscious after death save success. No easy up and down seems to be the intent. The Playtest Spare the Dying only works on a character with the Dying condition. They should clarify the language but I agree, the spell should specify that when you regain a hit point, the Dying condition ends but Unconscious does not.

Clint_L

Hero
As I read the changes to dying (stable is not longer a thing), you regain 1 hit point and remain unconscious after death save success. No easy up and down seems to be the intent. The Playtest Spare the Dying only works on a character with the Dying condition. They should clarify the language but I agree, the spell should specify that when you regain a hit point, the Dying condition ends but Unconscious does not.
Yes, they should clarify that, if that is the intent. Because as written right now, the creature just flat gains a hit point, which means they are up and at 'em: "You touch a creature that has the Dying condition. The creature regains 1 Hit Point."

Given that they were at pains to clarify the rules around unconsciousness and dying, the fact that they left any of that language out of this spell makes me suspect that, no, they want it to be a 1HP heal to a dying creature. But it's possible they just dropped the ball.

Last edited:

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
Yes, they should clarify that, if that is the intent. Because as written right now, the creature just flat gains a hit point, which means they are up and at 'em. Given that they were at pains to clarify the rules around unconsciousness and dying, the fact that they left any of that language out of this spell makes me suspect that, no, they want it to be a 1HP heal to a dying creature. But it's possible they just dropped the ball.
To be fair, Spare the Dying in 5E is not a great spell. It does what a heal check should. If dying is clarified that it ends when you get hit points back, but it takes something more to regain consciousness, I think that would be the way to go.

OB1

Jedi Master
The new death and dying rules gave me a great idea for my homebrewed version, and I think would really simplify things.

While at 0 HP, you have the dazed condition and cannot concentrate on spells. When you take damage while at 0HP, you gain 1 Point of Exhaustion.

And that's it. No death saving throws, no conscious/unconscious states at 0 or 1 HP. Spare the dying get's you out of dazed and prevents the next attack against you from causing exhaustion. Further, by creatures attacking you while at 0HP, they are reducing your effectiveness permanently for the remainder of the fight (and the day). Finally, I'd let the Warrior classes spend HD to remove exhaustion on a Short Rest, so that they aren't over penalized for being on the front lines.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I threw in some comments on the influence action, as I think it’s slipping under the radar. Do people really want intelligence to serve as “sense motive” rather than wisdom? Because that’s how the rule works right now
Which makes me wonder what Insight is for.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
no, it clearly is because of the new Wildshape rules, because your statblock is independent of the animal you choose, so you can have a mouse that hits like a bear with it, whereas in 5e you would be as weak as a mouse

At low level this is OP, at high level it is not because your char’s features have gained in power
I wouldn’t say being able to turn into a mouse that hits like a bear (and takes hits like one) is any more OP than being able to turn into a bear that hits (and takes hits) like a bear. It can move through creatures’ spaces I guess, but that could be fixed with an exception in the test of the feature it the stat block if need be. The main problem in my mind isn’t that it’s OP, it’s that it’s weird.

Remove ads