Playtest Experience [SPOILERS, LONG]

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
A great read. Sounds like my style of play too. (Currently working on putting a playtest together for the long weekend coming up down here...can't wait).

Even if the dwarf went down I reckon it would be memorable. (Much more than saving the dwarf by fudging I believe. An honorable death that could have given his allies time to escape is also cool. Cooler than. 'Oh, the DM saved us'...).

Lancelot

Adventurer
The dwarf surviving was, indeed, just one of those "dumb luck" moments that make the game (all versions!) great. I think the player rationalized it by thinking: "Well, it's just a playtest - I can always try out one of the other characters next week if I die, which I probably will".

However, after the 2nd time the orc chieftain missed him, he started getting really invested in it. I was making a huge deal out of the orc chieftain's ability to get bonuses on his next attack roll every time he takes damage.

"Oh, boy... you're just making him mad! This roll will have an even higher attack bonus on it!" [DM/orc rolls another 2 on the dice, triggering a huge round of player jubilation...]

Looking forward to our next playtest session in a couple days.

Remove ads