Level Up (A5E) Playtest results using pregen characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendweaver

Explorer
Earlier tonight, I managed to rope some player into a playtest of Level Up. One of my biggest complaints about D&D combat is that by default it devolves into a static slugfest, so I was excited to see how "Press the Attack" and "Fall Back" might make combat more dynamic, but I was concerned "Press the Attack" would make sneak attacking trivial.

We selected five level 1 pregenerated characters (Gia, Gywven, Krarg, Maika, and Varskyle from Resources — Level Up: Advanced 5th Edition (A5E)) and ran them through a gauntlet of fights with which I'm quite familiar - they're key fights from a starter adventure of my own creation I've run many times over the years to introduce new players to D&D 5E. These scenarios include:

1. A solo bugbear
2. A solo ogre
3. goblins (4) and a goblin boss
4. A horde of goblins (8)

I used monster stats from the LU Monstrous Menagerie, and tried to use Level Up's rules as written. To my knowledge, the only relevant new rules were the monster stats, pregen character abilities, and the new actions "Press the Attack" and "Fall Back." We made attack rolls, but used average damage to reduce randomization. For scenarios 1 and 2, everyone "took 10" on initiative; for (3) and (4), everyone rolled dex-based initiative.

Here's what happened:

1. Solo Bugbear: Gywven went first, and made a regular ranged attack, which hit. The bugbear went next and didn't press the attack, but dealt a solid blow to Varskyle. Gia went next, closed, and pressed the attack. The bugbear fell back - but the attack still landed. Varskyle and Karaz went next; both pressed the attack and both hit. The bugbear was dead before Maika took her first turn.

In this scenario and this reading of the rule, "Fall Back" was an ineffective counter for "Press the Attack"; it cancelled one instance of advantage, but the action economy multiplied the effectiveness of "Press the Attack." Virtually every PC hit with advantage without any need to maneuver or think creatively. It was pretty bland, and the bugbear looked like a coward.

2. Solo Ogre: Similar setup, but rated as "hard" by the LU encounter table. Actions played out mostly the same (it's embarrassingly easy to hit AC when you get advantage on every hit!) but the ogre survived the first round, and repositioned to make a sweeping strike against four characters...only to miss two of the attacks thanks in part to the disadvantage imposed by falling back earlier in the fight. The next attack ended the ogre after just a round and a half of combat - and again made an uncharacteristic retreat.

1.b These disappointing experiences made us question our reading of "Fall Back" - was it supposed to negate all future "Press the Attack" bonuses for the entire round? We decided to run scenario 1 again with this alternate reading. This time, the bugbear survived to round two, but didn't land a second attack (it couldn't "press the attack" on its turn because it had "fallen back" its previous round) ...and was gone before it got another chance.

3: Goblins and a boss. I'll spare the details because this fight was complicated, but the new rules worked pretty well; "Press the attack" and "Fall back" created a couple interesting knots of movement on the flanks from characters who weren't as worried about counterattacks

4. Horde of Goblins: This was a total bloodbath for the players. I knew the action economy was going to be against them, but press the attack took this to another level. One goblin pressed the attack early, and a PC melee combatant made the mistake of "falling back" in response. More goblins pressed into the gap and ganged up on weaker PCs. The melee combatant who fell back were unable to land hits on the closest goblins (which hadn't pressed) and couldn't get to the other players. One player was unconscious from arrows before taking a single turn. Two more died before they took a second turn...and the others fell shortly thereafter. My players left feeling that "Fall Back" action was a mechanics trap to avoid.

Am I missing some big piece of the rules here that brings these back into balance? How did official playtests go when it came to solo and/or horde fights?

TLDR: It's anecdotal evidence, but "Press the Attack" seemed to be a potent multiplier of preexisting action economy imbalance. PCs vs. solo monsters became significantly easier, and PCs vs. hordes became much harder. Maybe this was a desired outcome (it's probably more realistic...?) but it's the opposite direction O5E has been going, and I certainly want both dangerous solo monsters and survivable (but challenging) hordes. While this rule does seem to make pitched battles between equally sized groups of combatants more dynamic, it imposed a high cost.

Also, "Fall Back" seems to be an ineffective counter. In the RAW case, when you're outnumbered, someone is going to get advantage even if you fall back, and you pay a high cost - it can easily cost a melee combatant's effectiveness for an entire round.

Now, having said all this, I know Morrus said the rules for "Press the Attack" are out-of-date, so I'd love to read the latest text (and even run a play test of that). Absent that, here's my suggestion for rewording these two actions:

Press the Attack:
As a bonus action, target one adjacent creature. If this creature reacts to this action with the "Fall Back" action, you may optionally advance forward 5 ft. into the space they vacated and attack normally; otherwise, you gain an expertise die when making melee attacks against the target creature until the start of your next turn. In either case, all attacks against you are made with advantage until the start of your next turn. You may only Press the Attack when you do not have disadvantage on attacks.

Fall back:
As a reaction when targeted by "Press the Attack," you yield ground and move backward 5 ft., but no creature can gain an expertise dice when making attacks on you as a result of the "Press the Attack" action until the start of your turn. However, your caution prevents you from landing critical hits or taking the "Press the Attack" action until the end of your next turn. A creature using the Rage class feature cannot choose to fall back.

Last edited:

I'm also very curious about this. I'm still in the process of reading the classes, so it will take a bit more before I go into the more general (and important IMO) aspects of the game.
Reading the other posts regarding Press the Attack and Fall Back I also have some doubts they work as intended very often: I understand and applaud the goal of making combat more dynamic, but as many noticed the rules as written can be quite messy and may be off the mark. I know the rules we have are an older version, and hope the next iteration will be much more robust and polished.

I like your standard scenario approach. Having a relatively varied but standard set of combats scenarios seems a very good idea: you can test several synergies in many different situations and see where they work and where they don't in systematic approach.

I'm curious about what approach did the devs have for playtesting.

Stalker0

Legend
It was something I had considered too, and this sounds like a good highlight of it....that once players use their fall back they are at the mercy of however many monsters are left in the fight.

Doesn't even have to be a hoard, could be a 4 on 4 fight....but if its in open territory and all the creatures can swarm a single target, they all gain advantage which ramps up their offense. This in theory would also make combats shorter, the ambusher would do even more damage, but also take more damage in kind should the defenders get a chance to retailate.....resulting in increased damage across the board.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
So the actual final wording (IIRC, I don't have it in front of me) keeps the effects only to the two involved, not their allies etc. So the swarming won't have any special effects.

I don't think that's the issue raised. AFAICT the issue is with the action economy. If you have, say, 3 attackers on one target, they can ALL "Press the Attack" and yet you can only "Fall Back" against one of them, making the action economy very nasty. Shrewd Tacticians (common D&D Players) seem likely to always Press the Attack, effectively giving them advantage all the time. (The only exception being when you're outnumbered, and then the same thing occurs but in reverse).

I haven't seen any of this yet, myself, but I can imagine it.

Stalker0

Legend
So the actual final wording (IIRC, I don't have it in front of me) keeps the effects only to the two involved, not their allies etc. So the swarming won't have any special effects.
And you could argue this the problem. If "fall back" worked against all uses of "press the attack" for the round, then there would be no concern. But because fall back can only work against one instance.....all of the other attackers can press that same opponent, for large amounts of extra accuracy.

I think it would be slightly less bad, as the one target would still get advantage when retaliating against the others, but yeah, it's not solving the "why wouldn't everyone just press the attack to take the one guy out before he can retaliate against anyone" problem.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, if the revised working just applies to those two, then that would remove any reason to not just team up on press the attack on whoever looks like the most important target to take out even if you're against a big group of enemies. After all, you're no longer opening yourself up to attacks with advantage from the multiple opponents. Just the one attack from that one guy, and he can probably only target so many of you in his turn, anyway.

And you could argue this the problem. If "fall back" worked against all uses of "press the attack" for the round, then there would be no concern. But because fall back can only work against one instance.....all of the other attackers can press that same opponent, for large amounts of extra accuracy.
You know, I wonder if this would be solved if each target could only have the "press the attack" action done against them one per round or something.

Stalker0

Legend
You know, I wonder if this would be solved if each target could only have the "press the attack" action done against them one per round or something.
The other option, which I think is more in line with LU's "shake up the movement" aspect the designers wanted, is to allow fall back to keep going back in order to negate more attacks. I'll update the text with this concept:

This would be my personal version of the text as a whole if I was getting to redesign it:

Press the Attack (added to the end)
When you use this action, your target can use its reaction to Fall Back. If they do, you may move into the space they just vacated as a part of this action.

Fall Back
Whenever a creature within your reach takes the Press the Attack action, you can use your reaction to move backwards 5 feet. You gain the effects of the disengage action against that creature. The creature no longer has advantage against you, but you have disadvantage on your attacks against them. These effects last until the end of your next turn.

You may gain the effects of this reaction against multiple creatures, but must move back 5 feet each time a creature uses Press the Attack against you.

A creature using the Rage class feature cannot choose to Fall Back.

This version solves the OA and multiple attackers problem, and I think puts the "vacate the person's space" clause with press the attack, which makes more sense to me as that is the person who is gaining said benefit.. It also allows the defender to "wheezle" their way out of a swarm of pressed attackers. Effectively you push them back with a pressed attack, but if you don't take them out you then open the door to allow them to move around you and gain some tactical advantage. I think that's cool because again its encourages movement, you push in, force the enemy to move back. The enemy then can move around you to the other side if they are able.

Lastly, by using disengage, this might have synergy with manuevers that use disengage, allowing players with such manuevers to get extra benefits when falling back.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads