D&D 5E Playtesting D&D Next: Reapers, Cantrips, Turnings, Rests...

Ratskinner

Adventurer
There is hope.

I just got an email from WOTC. They discovered an irregularity in my account that was causing the issue, and they are scanning the rest of the accounts for similar issues.

The link now works for me.

Sefotron

Doom of Player Characters
I run three games for a total of 12 players of mixed experience (24 year veterans all the way to less than 6 month newbies). Most of them are unenthused about a new edition, and so, are not interested at all in trying the new rules out. I was willing to give it a go, but so many things in the playtest jarred with me, I'm not planning on bothering now.

Shame.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I know roleplayers are usually stereotyped as lacking social skills, but maybe we should all try to have a little empathy with the poor software team working back at WotC trying to make this happen for us? It's easy to complain, it's not easy to do so constructively.
Agreed. I wasn't implying that this was IT's fault; Pelor knows they are the unsung heroes of every business. I have no doubt they are doing the best they can do within the limitations they were given.

It's those limitations that are driving me crazy.

The DLs after the first 48 hours is basically the problem. I grabbed the playtest at 9:30AM yesterday morning, the servers were swamped, but they were fine around 11PM, so let's just say 15 hours. That traffic is probably on the order of 1,000 times their normal traffic. The resources required to be brought in to handle something like that is a poor business choice. They were probably hamstrung by legal to host the content themselves.
I set my alarm for 2:00 this morning, and I got up to check again. I was able to download the .ZIP file to my thumb drive, and then I went back to bed without even opening it. (It's been a long week.) So I think it was mostly a server demand issue. (And I agree with you completely...they were probably hamstrung by legal, which will always be a problem. Always.)

I know nerdrage and entitlement are strong. The "I should get everything I want right now!" sentiment is powerful, but sometimes you just can't always get what you want. Especially for a free non-product.
You are only half-right, though. It isn't "nerdrage," it is "customer dissatisfaction." And it isn't about entitlement, it is about delivery...we were invited to a party, and when we showed up, we were told the party was postponed until further notice. They knew how many guests to expect (they required a digital RSVP from every single person), and they knew how much cake would be needed (they knew the file sizes and bandwidth.) We aren't vagrants who showed up expecting a handout; we all had personal invitations from the host. So we are well within our rights to complain.

Right. Except that this is just the first round of the playtest. I hope we can expect better from them in the future.
This, right here, is why I even posted this from my blog in the first place. In a few months, I want to be able to point to this thread and say "Look at how far they have come!" or, more likely, "See?! They still haven't learned!!"

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
DM's Log: May 24, 2012. Playtest Materials Received

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was finally able to download the packet. I had set the alarm on my phone to go off at 2:00 a.m., thinking that the server demand would be at a peak low at this time. I was able to download the packet in just a few seconds. So I saved it to my thumb drive without even unzipping it, and went back to bed.

My first impression: "All that hassle over a six-meg file?"

My girlfriend can vouch for me here; I am pretty cranky at 2 a.m.

-----

I got up 30 minutes early this morning, went to my laptop, and unzipped the packet. I read the letter from Mike Mearls (Hi Mike!), and then I queued up all of the documents to print while I was in the shower. I grabbed them on my way out the door, and I will look them over on my lunch break.

Stay tuned.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
"Peak low" is oxymoron

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was finally able to download the packet. I had set the alarm on my phone to go off at 2:00 a.m., thinking that the server demand would be at a peak low at this time. I was able to download the packet in just a few seconds. So I saved it to my thumb drive without even unzipping it, and went back to bed.

My first impression: "All that hassle over a six-meg file?"

My girlfriend can vouch for me here; I am pretty cranky at 2 a.m.

-----

"Nadir" might work better. ("Peak low" is like "maximum minimum.")

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I wanted to write "I wonder if the next time if ENworld has some downtime we get "OMG Paizo forums are still up - Paizo is showing Morrus how it's done again!"" but i decided not to - we want to talk about the playtest, after all, and that would just derail the thread. Anyway, i'd guess that neutral is the new unaligned. I like it better that way - the "work hard to stay true neutral" part never really resonated with me.

Agamon

Adventurer
I set my alarm for 2:00 this morning, and I got up to check again. I was able to download the .ZIP file to my thumb drive, and then I went back to bed without even opening it. (It's been a long week.) So I think it was mostly a server demand issue. (And I agree with you completely...they were probably hamstrung by legal, which will always be a problem. Always.)

It looks like it was actually an issue with the actual server, as reported. Around 8:00 PM MST last night, I finally broke through, and was able to easily repeat the link. I posted here and others found they could easily get the download, too. So it looks like an unexpected problem that needed fixing rather than demand, so, Pelor willing, we won't have this problem going forward.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
DM'S Log: May 26, 2012. First Impression of the Caves

I've had a chance to look over the playtest packet in detail. I will be running a few test games later this weekend (Pelor willing), but here are my first impressions of the material.

The first thing I read was the adventure module, "The Caves of Chaos." I read it side-by-side with the original B2 module, and made a few notes about the differences between the two.

First of all, I want to thank the designers for taking the time to make a faithful conversion. For the most part, the adventure module is identical to the original in nearly every way (except as noted below). If a room had seven kobolds in it armed with shortswords, with a barrel of water and some gold coins on the floor, well, that was what the conversion had as well. Serioulsy, kudos, guys. That means that it will be a lot easier to convert my old BECM modules in the future, should I decide to do so.

The most obvious thing that was changed in the conversion was the value off treasure. For example, the jeweled goblet at Area 33 was reduced in value from 1,300 gp to 15 gp. That is a HUGE reduction...the "new" goblet is worth less than 1% of the original! It isn't an isolated occurrence, either...every single treasure has been dramatically reduced in value, usually to less than 2% of its originally published value. Copper coins and silver coins were left alone, for the most part.

I am curious about why this was done. I think it is a step in the right direction, especially for a low-level adventure...but will this be adjusted forward to later adventure modules? Is it linear? What does this mean about the assumed economy of the D&D game?

Also, many of the magic items (such as the rope of climbing, or the scroll of fireballs) were removed entirely. I imagine this was done for the same reasons for reducing the values of all the other treasures. Since this adventure was designed for low-level characters, I don't have a problem with it per se....but sitll, I remember thinking "it was good enough for the original author; why did they need to "fix" it this time?"

Another thing I noticed: in a couple of places, the sex of some of the monsters was changed from male to female. I wonder why, since there is no technical or mechanical difference between a male or female creature in the game. If this was a purely cosmetic change that has no affect on the game, then there is arguably no reason for it. I could understand the change if there was a plot-based reason for it (the guard needs to be female because she is the daughter of the king, or something), but from what I can tell, it looks like a change for the sake of change...or at the worst, it could be interpreted as sexist stereotyping (if it were done to make the guard look weaker or less of a threat, as in "Oh, don't worry about her, it's just a woman," or to create some sort of conflict among the players, as in "I can't hit a girl.") Be careful with that, guys.

But aside from those two things, the module is a faithful and complete conversion of the original Caves of Chaos, and even uses the original map. I applaud the team for their attention to detail and commitment to the roots of the game. Seriously, thanks.

Last edited:

Truename

First Post
Another thing I noticed: in a couple of places, the sex of some of the monsters was changed from male to female. I wonder why, since there is no technical or mechanical difference between a male or female creature in the game. If this was a purely cosmetic change that has no affect on the game, then there is arguably no reason for it. I could understand the change if there was a plot-based reason for it (the guard needs to be female because she is the daughter of the king, or something), but from what I can tell, it looks like a change for the sake of change...or at the worst, it could be interpreted as sexist stereotyping (if it were done to make the guard look weaker or less of a threat, as in "Oh, don't worry about her, it's just a woman," or to create some sort of conflict among the players, as in "I can't hit a girl.") Be careful with that, guys.

Just the opposite, I suspect. There was a lot of unconscious gender discrimination at the time the module was originally published (of the form you describe, actually--"it's just a woman"), and I wouldn't be surprised if the original B2 only used female warriors to be "surprising," if at all. You can see this in 70's and 80's movies... the protagonist greets "Dr. Smith" only to discover that he's the assistant; the real doctor is--gasp--the woman!

By making a few non-mook creatures female for no in-game reason at all, Wizards puts women on the same footing as men and thereby makes the game more inclusive--without really changing the module. They deserve kudos for the attention to detail.

(I don't have the original B2 to compare to, so perhaps I'm misinterpreting things. Can you be more specific about what's been changed? My scan of the text found three non-70s-stereotype women: The Watcher (p7), the elite orc sentry (p10), and the chieftan (p16), so that's my guess about what was changed.)

Last edited:

Remove ads