Please Critique My Psionic Feats

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Psispell [Metamagic, Psionic]
You are able to cast memorized spells without losing them.
Prerequisite: Must be able to cast prepared arcane or divine spells, access to 1st level Psionic powers.
Benefit: You are able to expend a number of psionic power points equal to the level of the spell you are casting to retain it for future use.

Psionic Sustenance [Psionic]
You provide your body nourishment by sacrificing power points.
Prerequisite: Mind Over Body, Psionic Body
Benefit: By sacrificing one power point per class level you have, you do not need to eat or drink for one full day.

Telepathic Communication [Psionic]
You are able to communicate between minds.
Prerequisite: Power point reserve
Benefit: You are able to communicate verbally, without the need to speak, to anything with a brain and an intelligence of 3 or greater.
Special: This does not allow the being receiving your words to understand what you are saying or communicate telepathically back to you. In order to understand what you are saying the creature(s) must be able to communicate in the language you are speaking in. In order for any creature to communicate telepathically it must have this feat.

-----------------------
What do you think?

Last edited:

SteelDraco

First Post
Frukathka said:
Psispell [Metamagic, Psionic]
Prerequisite: Must be able to cast prepared arcane or divine spells, access to 1st level Psionic powers.
Benefit: You are able to expend a number of psionic power points equal to the level of the spell you are casting to retain it for future use.
This is Cerebremancer territory, melding normal spellcasting with psionic manifestation. I certainly wouldn't allow it as written, and probably not with normal power point progression (a 1st level power costs 1, a 2nd 3 pp, and so on, as in the XPH). I'm doubtful about anything less than power cost progression + 6, and even then, it seems better as a PrC ability than a feat.

Benefit: By sacrificing one power point per class level you have, you do not need to eat or drink for one full day.
Why does this get more difficult as you get more experienced? I'd put this at a fixed cost, probably 5 pp. At that point, it's fine - not very powerful, since food and water is a non-issue in most games, but flavorful.

Telepathic Communication [Psionic]
Prerequisite: Power point reserve
Benefit: You are able to communicate verbally, without the need to speak, to anything with a brain and an intelligence of 3 or greater.
Special: This does not allow the being receiving your words to understand what you are saying or communicate telepathically back to you. In order to understand what you are saying the creature(s) must be able to communicate in the language you are speaking in. In order for any creature to communicate telepathically it must have this feat.
*shrugs* I don't really see any problems with this one. It's the psionic power Missive at will, essentially. No power cost, but it's not really any more effective than just being able to talk. Does it take an action of any kind to 'speak' to someone in this way? Can you do anything over this link other than communicate? Is it selective (that is, can you talk to just that guy over there, and not all his friends?) Do people you talk to in this way know where the voice is coming from? How far can you project your thoughts? These are all questions that need answered regarding the feat. I'd probably add the Missive power to the list of prerequisites, but I'm a completist.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Telepathic Communication [Psionic] - Revised
Prerequisite: Any psionic core class, access to Missive
Benefit: This feat only allows you to communicate verbally, without the need to speak, to anything with a brain and an intelligence of 3 or greater. This can be used as a free action and is usable at will. You can 'converse' with a number of creatures equal to your psionic level plus one per point of intelligence bonus.
Special: This does not allow the being receiving your words to understand what you are saying or communicate telepathically back to you. In order to understand what you are saying the creature(s) must be able to communicate in the language you are speaking in. In order for any creature to communicate telepathically it must have this feat. When you 'speak' to any creature(s), they must be aware of your presence and know where you are.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Psispell [Metamagic, Psionic] - Revised
Prerequisite: Must be able to cast prepared arcane or divine spells of 2nd level, access to 2nd level Psionic powers.

This is going to be a prerequisite for a PrC I am designing that allows the character the progression of the Cerebramanner, but with some ohter Special abilities added. I was going to make it a 15 level PrC, but with the revsion of this feat, I'll have to tone it down to a 12 or 14 level PrC.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
SteelDraco said:
Why does this get more difficult as you get more experienced? I'd put this at a fixed cost, probably 5 pp.

A good point. Here is the revision:

Benefit: By sacrificing six power points your body has no need for food or water for one full day.

Ferret

Explorer
I just want to back the above thoughts. Except my feeling is thatthe last power is a tad abusable. Gaged, bound, you can talk. Inventive DMs can over come this e.g. they're bound somewhere foreign or in the middle of nowhere. So I don't know if my gut reaction is right; it's overpowered, or just a novelty.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I only have one race in my campaign that can use Psionics right now - my Snakefolk of a part of the world that is known of, just geographically isolated from the characters, this feat would not automatically slip into the hands of any character. It is going to be a good three or four hundred campaign years, till psionics are commonly available to PCs. I'm using the Snakefolk only as NPCs.

However, based on what you are saying, I just thought of a new Psionic Power called Brainlock; it effectively shuts off your psionic abilities and prevents incoming or outgoing powers, including telepathy. Probably appropriate as a 9th level power. I'm thinking a duration of 1 day per manifester level.

Yair

Community Supporter
Benefit: By sacrificing six power points your body has no need for food or water for one full day.
Am I missing something? This is essentially the sustenance power, only at a higher cost. I would just throw away the feat and take Expanded Knowledge (or just pick the power).

Psispell [Metamagic, Psionic] - Revised
Prerequisite: Must be able to cast prepared arcane or divine spells of 2nd level, access to 2nd level Psionic powers.
I strongly disagree on the price; the price must at the very least match the cost of manifesting an equal-level power. Otherwise, the character gets to effectively cast an X level spell at a "lower cost" then it would cost to manifest a power with the same effect. Even then, it is a powerful ability and I'll be tempted to impose a penalty of 2 or 4 power points. Flexibility must come at some price!

Telepathic Communication [Psionic] - Revised
Prerequisite: Any psionic core class, access to Missive
Benefit: This feat only allows you to communicate verbally, without the need to speak, to anything with a brain and an intelligence of 3 or greater. This can be used as a free action and is usable at will. You can 'converse' with a number of creatures equal to your psionic level plus one per point of intelligence bonus.
Special: This does not allow the being receiving your words to understand what you are saying or communicate telepathically back to you. In order to understand what you are saying the creature(s) must be able to communicate in the language you are speaking in. In order for any creature to communicate telepathically it must have this feat. When you 'speak' to any creature(s), they must be aware of your presence and know where you are.
I see no problem with this feat.

Remove ads