Please Critique These 3 Feats

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Dread Shriek [Monstrous]
The sound of your voice makes men flee in terror.
Prerequisites: Baleful Moan
Benefit: You can emit a dreadful shriek as a free asction. All living creatures within a 30 foot spread must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 your HD + your Cha modifier) or become frightened for 1 minute. This is a supernatural, sonic, necromantic, mind-affecting fear effect. A creature that successfully saves against the shriek cannot be affected by your shriek for 24 hours.

Empyreal Vitality [Divine]
Prerequisite: Sacred Vitality
Benefit: As a standard action you can spend one of your turning attempts to gain immunity to ability damage, ability drain and energy drain for a number of minutes equal to three minutes plus an additional minute per point of Charisma bonus.

Improved Corpsecrafting [General]
Undead your raise or create are quite resilient and much tougher than normal.
Prerequisite: Corpsecrafter, Spellcraft 12 ranks
Benefit: Undead that you raise or create with a necromancy spell gains a +6 enhancement bonus to Strength and +4 hit points per Hit Die.
Special: The bonuses from this feat replace and do not stack with those from the Corpsecrafter feat.

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I wish I still owned the books you are getting the pre-requisites from. Libris Mortis, right? Could you summarize corpsecrafter, baleful moan and sacred vitality do?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Yes, Libris Mortis.

Baleful Moan allows you to emit a moan that effects creatures a 30 foot spread. If the creatures fail a Will save (same formula as I have in Dread Shriek) they are shaken.

Corpsecrafter allows the character to enhance undead with a +4 to Str and +2 hit points per Hit Die.

Sacred Vitality allows the character to expend one Turn Undead use to gain one minute of immunity.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
The duration for Empyreal Vitality (cool name, btw) is a little odd. Should extra turning really increase the duration of the protection by 4 minutes? Usually the benefit of divine feats are phrased in terms of one's charisma bonus- how about 1 minute per point of charisma bonus (like divine vigor)?

I think there should be an additional pre-requisite to improved corpsecrafter. If a wizard or cleric has both feats when he first gains the ability to cast animate dead his minions will be too tough for 5th level parties. I'd recommend making him have to cast sixth level spells.

I think, too, that not all creatures who might take Baleful Moan should be able to take Dread Shriek. Make a charisma requirement (15 or 17) so that only very special monsters can take it.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Okay, I updated the feats. I'd like to point out that Baleful Moan has the prereq of Daunting Presence. Daunting Presence makes anyone who looks at you make a Will save (still same formula) or be shaken for ten minutes. So basically the character would have to expend three feats to gain the benefit of Dread Shriek. The prereqs for Daunting Presence are Cha 13 and BAB +1.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Frukathka said:
I'd like to point out that Baleful Moan has the prereq of Daunting Presence. ... The prereqs for Daunting Presence are Cha 13 and BAB +1.

It seems a waste of space, but most feats list all the pre-requisites of the pre-requisite feats. Anything with great cleave as a pre-requisite will thus have cleave as well, and thus Power Attack and Strength 13+.

On the positive side, it enables one to tell at a glance how far down a feat chain a particular feat is, which helps to evaluate its power.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Do you still think that Dread Shriek is overpowered? Also, I forgot to mention that the other two Prereqs for Baleful moan are Undead type and incorporeal subtype.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Frukathka said:
Do you still think that Dread Shriek is overpowered?

Actually, I never thought it was overpowered. I just wanted to make it seem more special. Not every ghost should be able to take it, after all, only the more powerful and impressive ones.

Remove ads