Please Deleat Thread

I'm afraid that I really don't like the way this class works in the context of D&D 3.5 - and the problem is really not "they wield two shields". That's perfectly fine as a start. There are however a lot of problems I can see, starting with the fundamental one that if this is supposed to be about dual wielding shields and you only get that at level 5 then what is the point of the first four levels? If you're only going to give them their signature ability at level 5 and are using a lightly modified fighter chassis just make the whole thing a prestige class. Off the top of my head:
  • Is a powerful but limited mind controller really the aesthetic you want to go for? (Also Taunt is going to outscale saves and has unlimited range and cumulative targets and either no serious end condition or a trivial one)
    • Taunt is very much an MMO ability. The 4e version would be to block attacks against your allies with your shield, and it reflects the damage. Making the foe make a choice
  • You've basically got a lightly modified fighter here (there's little you do that couldn't be done without adding balanced feats).
  • The relative strengths of the classes is well known and outlined in the 3.5 class tier list. The fighter is near the bottom.
  • It's a largely passive class. What do you actually do with your time other than play as an NPC-bot?
    • There's no room for "diving shield saves" that would be cinematic
    • Your taunt is basically passive
    • You're joined at the hip to whoever you are shielding so you've no mobility and you aren't even really making the choices of where to go
    • You're not doing any significant damage so in your average or easy fights you're basically redundant (the best damage prevention method is killing them before they kill you). And the only reason enemies don't simply ignore you in a fight is the taunts
    • Out of combat for practical purposes you're a Commoner; 2+Int skill points and no other abilities.
    • You're very equipment dependent; don't have shields with you and you basically don't have a class. How do you go to the bar with two tower shields? (Or do you have two bucklers as well). A "Can count improvised weapons as bucklers" would be a good start
  • You've a bit of anti-synergy going on there
    • Mettle is a decent ability - but you seem to have low Fort and Will saves - so Mettle will rarely trigger. For that matter you've no real defense against spells in general.
    • Endurance letting you sleep in medium armour when the class calls for heavy armour is awkward. Give a custom ability
  • You're making the textbook "Yes a limited variant of a spell is really worth a full class feature" D&D 3.5 homebrewing mistake
    • Level 1 Shield Ally feels like a much less flexible Shield of Faith
    • Level 7 Shield Other 1/day is a 1/day use of a second level spell clerics can choose at level 3 - and they normally get three second level spells at that level up. (Most have better things to do than Shield Other).
  • You're just not that tough for all the hit points and shield. You've two low saves, a low Touch AC, and no energy resistance.
Honestly try playing it. I'm not seeing a fun experience there. And in terms of power it's pretty bad.

Remove ads