• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Please help me price this item creation?

Keldin

First Post
So, I was wondering if anyone could help me create this item (or tell me if something similar is already out there). The original basis for this item is the Artificer's Monocle (from D&D's Magic Item Compendium 72) and the Googles of Elvenkind (from Pathfinder's Ultimate Equipment 225). Obviously, I'm aware that I'm combining two different games.

The idea here is, of course, to create an item that helps in item crafting. I'm going to be lopping certain parts out (like the goggles' low-light vision) and adding certain things in (like the Detect Magic Aura, because Pathfinder's Artificer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/artificer) does not have the Eberron Artificer's Artificer Knowledge ability.

Glasses of the Artificer
Price: 11,750gp
These gold-rimmed glasses, made of ground glass tinted with emerald dust, grant the wearer a +5 competence bonus on Spellcraft checks and Use Magic Device checks. When dealing with an item, he may make a special knowledge check with a bonus equal to his Artificer level + his Int modifier to detect whether the item has a magical aura. The artificer must hold and examine the item for one minute, after which a successful DC 15 check determines that the item is, indeed, magical. The artificer cannot take 10 or take 20 on this check. A particular item can only be examined in this fashion one time; if the check fails, the artifi cer can learn no more about that object. If the user has at least 2 ranks of Knowledge (arcana), spending one additional minute with the item allows you to identify the abilities of that item as if you had cast identify on it.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, detect magic, identify, guidance, 2 ranks of Knowledge (arcana), 2 ranks of Spellcraft, 2 ranks of Use Magic Device

Okay, here we go. The original items were priced at 1,500gp and 8,500gp respectively. Building from the magic item creation rules (Pathfinder Core Book 548), we start with the +5 bonus on Spellcraft for (bonus squared * 100gp), 2500gp. The +5 to Use Magic Device is similar. The cost of adding Detect Magic as a 'use-activated item' is 1,000gp (Spell Level (counts as 1/2) * Caster Level * 2,000gp). If we count the cost of the monocle by figuring it out similarly (use-activated), the cost is 2,000gp, so I'll use that.

What I come up with is 2,500gp + 1,875gp + 1,000gp + 500gp = 5,875gp. (Pathfinder Core Rulebook 549, multiple similar abilities)

What do you all think? Am I an idiot and mistaking something here?

And here's the real problem I'm having: what do you all think it would cost to add a +n competence bonus to *all* Craft checks, not just individual ones?

Keldin

First Post
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, detect magic, identify, guidance, 2 ranks of Knowledge (arcana), 2 ranks of Spellcraft, 2 ranks of Use Magic Device

I forgot to mention, I used 2 ranks here because the original monocle used 5 ranks of Knowledge (arcana), which you could get at 2nd level. At 2nd level, you could only have 2 ranks in that skill in Pathfinder.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads