• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Please help with shapeshift

Vahktang

First Post
The ninth level spell.
It says 'any non unique creature'.
But isn't every creature unique with a history and desires of it's own?
No?
Forget about it, it's D & D?
OK

So, the question came up for templates.
I think we can all agree that one cannot shapeshift into, say, a cleric, or a hill giant/barbarian.
Levels are not allowed.
And skills and feats don't go with the shift, too, right?
How about a template?
They're kind of like levels.
Can one shapeshift into a ghost, vampire, or half fiend?

Thanks.

More later,

Vahktang

kenobi65

First Post
Vahktang said:
But isn't every creature unique with a history and desires of it's own?
No?
Forget about it, it's D & D?

Well, yes, a particular displacer beast is a unique creature...but there's a lot of displacer beasts, and, statistically, they're the same. "Non-unique", in this case, refers to creatures that there's more than one of. So, you can't shapechange into Orcus, for example, because there's only one of him, but you can shapechange into a balor demon.

Vorput

First Post
Vahktang said:
And skills and feats don't go with the shift, too, right?
How about a template?
They're kind of like levels.
Can one shapeshift into a ghost, vampire, or half fiend?

I believe you gain any bonus racial feats, or racial skill bonuses just as the creature you change into.

I think as per RAW, the various templates would be acceptable... ultimatly it's a DM's call- polymorph opens up a lot of abuses... but for the most part, I feel within the power of what high level wizards/sorcerers should be able to do. Just make sure you do your gen work ahead of time to save on headaches during the session.

Edit: Thinking on it some more, this will definetly require a DM's call... else you could very easily become a half-fiend, vampiric, lycanthrope radioactive half golem red dragon... etc. Maybe limit it to one template or something.

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Sepulchrave II rules that every +1 CR a template adds is the equivalent of +2 HD for the purpose of summoning limits.

You could easily adopt a similar rule for shapechange.

Make them do a few hours "research" prior to adopting a really weird form so you can add an ad hoc increase in CR to some abusive combo or underpriced template.

Kieperr

First Post
I don't believe you can use the spell to change into a creature with a template. Shapechange states that it functions like Polymorph and Polymorph states that it functions like Alter Self. Alter Self states that you cannot take the form of a creature that has a template. There is nothing in the Polymorph or Shapechange spell descriptions that changes this stipulation. The spells could be used on or by a creature with a template but they cannot be used to change into a creature with a template. So no ghosts, vampires, or halffiends.

Remove ads