• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Please rate Energy Substitution

Rate Energy Substitution

• 1 - You should never take this feat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2- Not very useful

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3- of limited use

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 4- below average

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 5- Average

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • 6- above average

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • 7- above average and cool

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • 8- good

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • 9- Very good

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • 10- Everyone should take this feat

Votes: 14 13.5%

Merlion

First Post
Pax said:

I agree. One of the "thematic styles" for Sorcerors that I'm fond of, is all five EnSub feats (with Empower; works best for human sorcerors). Granted, you won't get thee until 12th levle, and won't do diddly besides in terms of feats ... but then you get maximise at 15th, twin at 18th, and then go on into epic levels. :)

Well, the ig dealis, very few things are [sonic]-resistant, so it's a BIT cheesy -- not enough IMO to warrant banning the feat at all ... but enough to make EnSub[sonic] by FAR the most common choice of the 5 possible variations.

My fix was to make EnSub[Sonic] require any OTHER EnSub feat as an additional prerequisite. :)

That'd be nice, but ... it'd take an entire sourcebook (maybe PHB sized!) to cover just the spells published to date ... once for each alternate element, plus the original version (for reference).

It'd be nice, but ... it's just plain too much work IMO.

Ohh for the record I DO agree that taking it for Sonic JUST because almost no creature is resistant to it is kind of cheesy. but thats a play style issue IMO.
What I meant about the different affects is someone was saying that sonic altered the secondary effects of spells...I was just saying that their are other element/spell combos that alter(or sensibly should alter) secondary spell effects. Theirs also some where you wonder how the feat would interact with it...Sleet Storm for instance. No damage but Cold descriptor.

Sir Whiskers

First Post
This one is almost useless for wizards - with a good spellbook, a wizard will just memorize the proper spell (if available).

For sorcerers, it's a must-have. In fact, combined with Sculpt Spell, a sorcerer can parlay a single known spell (Lightning Bolt, Fireball, etc) into just about any area-effect damage effectl needed. Try it - you'll like it.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
What I meant about the different affects is someone was saying that sonic altered the secondary effects of spells...I was just saying that their are other element/spell combos that alter(or sensibly should alter) secondary spell effects./B]

An Acid-Substituted Sound Burst will still cause deafness. A Fire-Substituted Electric Orb will still cause magnetism.

It's only the elemental type of the damage that changes.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I think it's a very good feat, mechanically, but Sonic substitution is the bane of all that is good and holy. ;)

I'm trying to decide whether a Sonic-Substituted or Acid-Substituted Fire Shield has more style...

-Hyp.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
IMC, I have a Feat "Elemental Focus" which adds +2 to the DC of all spells with a particular Elemental descriptor.

It's a good replacement for Energy Substitution as a pre-req for Elemental Savant.

-- Nifft

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
You know, WotC should have just made the spell form for the appropriate level. Say, [element]ball is a 3rd level spell. Instead of Energy Substitution, one could just have acidball and sonicball and so on and so forth.

Of course, there would need to be an adjustment for sonic, like +1 to the spell level.

Maybe the Sonic trick is a reason to use more dangerous foes like the Formian (Sonic Immunity or Resistance) or Bards (countersong) :)

The feat is not bad, but it is not really overpowered, even with the Sonic Trick - remember, most creatures do not have a special resistance against it, but most creatures do also not have a special weakness against it, so it is not so impressive.

For my Sorcerer, I figured out that I would simply learn a spell for every energy form (as far as possible), so I can be dangerous to everyone - Melf`s Acid Arrow, Fireball, Cone of Cold, Prismatic Spray, this should give the most forms, and what`s missing - hell, who cares - there are still other guys in the groups!

Mustrum Ridcully

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I give it a '7'.

It wins big points for style, and it is very valuable to a sorceror. It is a solid feat for a wizard as well.

I agree there are issues regarding Sonic being the too obvious choice. I think that is really a problem more with monster design rather than feat design.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads