Pathfinder 1E please recommend pathfinder books

d12

First Post
So I've got my next campaign narrowed down to either the Kingmaker AP or Rise of the Runelords AP. I am going to switch over to running the Pathfinder RPG for this one.

I already have the Core Rulebook and Bestiary 1 and 2. Please suggest other Pathfinder titles I might find useful. Assume I know nothing about the qualities of various titles. My players aren't going to purchase anything, so feel free to suggest Pathfinder titles they might find useful. I don't want to buy everything but I don't mind shelling out for 4 or 5 books.....

innerdude

Legend
For sure the one book I'd consider a must-have is the Advanced Player's Guide. There's just so many more options that help make characters less of a generic class, and more unique to the spirit of what players want them to be. After that, it's pretty much gravy.

Most reviews I've seen of Ultimate Combat / Magic are pretty much "take it or leave it."

If you're committed to running Pathfinder long-term, the only other book I'd consider a must have as a GM is the NPC Codex. At the very least, get it in PDF.

(Of course, it's not too late to switch to Savage Worlds . . . just sayin' ;-) )

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
d12, definitely take the time to check out the Pathfinder SRD and the d20PFSRD, as both have the mechanical content from Paizo's hardcover books on them (the former has only those, whereas the latter has most of their softcover books, and a number of third-party ones as well).

If you go with Kingmaker, I'd recommend Ultimate Campaign, as it expands on a lot of the ideas originally presented in the Kingmaker Adventure Path (e.g. exploration, kingdom-building, and mass combat), along with many others (I also believe that most of the book's mechanics are on the d20PFSRD too). Likewise, there's the third-party Ultimate Rulership to further expand on kingdom-building options.

Crothian

First Post
I've got most of the Pathfinder books because I'm insane like that. We rarely use them. My players just pull up the Pathfinder SRD on their smart phones and find everything in one place.

If you are going to run Kingmaker Ultimate Campaigns will be great. I wish it was out when we did Kingmaker. It has a lot more great options for that kind of campaign. For Rise of the Runelords make sure you have the hardback compilation. It is a nice improvement over the original adventures. Other then that I'd just get books you think you might use. For instance if as a GM you would benefit from additional information of the area around the AP's then buy those. I personally love to expand the AP's and involve more details and adventures around the AP's. It is a lot more work but I find it very beneficial and effective.

I'm presently playing in the Rise of the Runelords AP and so far it's a "classic" adventure, and it's really good, although I've lost 6 or 7 characters so far (it can be very deadly). We have the core book and the advanced player's guide at the table, but other than that we use the d20pfsrd site. Have fun!

AR

I'll second the recommendation for the NPC Codex for ongoing campaign play. Having just a pile of NPC stats to pull out for any given situation is very handy.

I have not tried out any of the stuff in Ultimate Campaign yet, but it looks very interesting. It does have the updated kingdom stuff, but I ran Kingmaker without it, and it works pretty well by itself.

Marshall Gatten

First Post
I'm studying up on Kingmaker right now in preparation of running for the first time as well. Two things Kingmaker blazed the trail on are kingdom building and mass combat. It was a decent first attempt, but like any first attempt it has a lot of weaknesses. "Ultimate Campaign" takes both of these systems from Kingmaker and improves upon them and streamlines them a bit. I'm still not totally in love with either system, but they are both vastly improved over the rules provided in the Kingmaker AP. I'd call Ultimate Campaign a must-buy for anybody gearing up for Kingmaker.

The Advanced Players Guide is excellent, and will provide your game with a lot of new options and new rules to cover a lot of situations. It has several new combat maneuvers, new subclasses, new skills, new feats. Just a lot of very good stuff.

Steer clear of the Gamemastery Guide if you expect it to be like the D&D Dungeon Masters Guides. It's not a bad book, but it isn't what you expect it to be. It's a book full of (very excellent) tips for running a successful game, building a world, creating encounters, etc. If you are already confident in your game mastery skills, you'll find it less than useful. I wish I'd been told that before buying it.

I would strongly suggest getting all six of the Kingmaker AP books and reading all six before starting. One of the most common complaints I've seen is that the events in the last book aren't sufficiently foreshadowed in the first five books, so it feels tacked on even though it's the climax of the story. By reading them all first, you'll be able to pull things out of later books to provide foreshadowing in earlier books.

The Guide to the River Kingdoms and other similar River Kingdoms-specific setting guides seem to be pretty unnecessary. They might be helpful if you have players who are really into travelling outside the expected area and communicating with unexpected leaders in unexpected kingdoms. But Kingmaker covers a pretty huge swath of land, and it provides more than enough information on that area. I'll be very surprised if my players feel the need to head off the map all of a sudden.

Get the Map Folio for Kingmaker! This is pretty much a must-have for me. It's tough to find in print, and expensive, but it's available in pdf. Get the pdf and print out the maps. You'll be glad you have it.

There's a pretty good thread addressing the same question on the Paizo forum here.

m

Remove ads