Display: Vi
Manifestation Time: 1 action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area/Target: Cone
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Power Resistance: No
Power Points: 9

A blinding flash affect all creatures that can are in the area of effect and can see you. They are stunned for 1 round/level and temporarily blinded for 1d4/level rounds, independently of HD.

Hadel Ionque on the WOTC boards posted this and I wanted to put it out to the masses, i.e. You, to see if you feel it is balanced before allowing it into my game. Please tell me what yo think.

Last edited:

JLXC

First Post
Flash
Discipline: (Psychokinesis) [Light]
Level: Psion 5
Display: Vi
Manifestation Time: 1 action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Area/Target: Cone
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Power Resistance: No
Power Points: 9

A blinding flash affect all creatures that can are in the area of effect and can see you. They are stunned for 1 round/level and temporarily blinded for 1d4/level rounds, independently of HD.

I am sorry for the earlier error

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Stunned for 1r/level is a death sentence. The only thing that I can think of that stuns for more than 1r is the Mind Blast power.

In fact I can't see the stun making sense in here.

I would have thought it would be better as merely blinding all targets in the cone for 5d4r, fort save to avoid - toughing it out (why Will save?)

Cheers

JLXC

First Post
Plane I didn't make the power, I'm trying to iron it out though.

Why not Fort? Why Will? I dunno. Seems most people are arguing Why is it not a Ref save?

So you feel it is overpowered as is? Cool.

Making a 5th level power that can blind for a few rounds in a cone is WEAK. I liked the Stun aspect of it, I just think it's overpowered. Any suggestions?

Al

First Post
I don't think it's overpowered. Using the parity between spells and powers, it quickly is demonstrated not to be excessive. After all, confusion is lower level and lasts for 1rd/level. Perhaps not as immediately deadly as stunning, but nearly as disruptive. A Chained Hold Person would be 5th level: the DC to save against is much lower, but the effects (held vs. stunned) are much much nastier. Feeblemind and Dominate Person affect a narrower category of people (one vs. a coneload) but the effects are very nasty indeed. Bear in mind that the 1st level Color Spray manages to stun for 1 round against those with high HD, making a 5th level power stun for 1 round seems virtually pathetic. I think it's pretty much balanced as written: if you really are still apprehensive, drop the stun to 1 round/2 levels.

Remove ads