• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Plumbing in a basement?

Nellisir

Hero
smilinggm said:
Adding a bathroom to your basement is going to cost at least $1000 or more depending on exactly what you want in this bathroom and what part of the world that you live in.

He lives in Connecticut. The toilet, pipes, and having the plumber walk in the door will run $1000, never mind framing, sheetrock, insulation, electrical, and whatever goes for flooring (look into snap-together laminate - inexpensive, simple, and easy to do yourself).

smilinggm

First Post
Nellisir said:
He lives in Connecticut. The toilet, pipes, and having the plumber walk in the door will run $1000, never mind framing, sheetrock, insulation, electrical, and whatever goes for flooring (look into snap-together laminate - inexpensive, simple, and easy to do yourself).

Agreed, but I did not want to kill the OP with sticker shock!

I would be carefull with the snap-together-laminates esp in a basement. IF this basement has any water problems (ie Flooding or water seaping in thru the walls), then you will have constant costly problms with the laminate flooring. Yes it is cheap and easy, but basemets usualy present too many problems for a propper install. I would suggest one of 3 floor coverings: Painting w/a Good floor paint or Epoxy, Staining the Concrete w/a concrete stain, or Tiling the floor. All have a high tolerance for water. If you want your can place a rug in stratigic areas. But I will not ever suggest carpet in a basemet. Also I would strongly suggest look in to using Paperless Wallpaper or some form of cement board over straight sheetrock. Basic sheetrock is very prone to mold problems in basements again due to moisture and water issues.

To the OP All of this work can be done yourself and it can save youself lots of money. It is called Sweat Equity for a reason. Just be sure that you get the proper permits else you may find yourself w/o water to your home untill you satify your local building inspectors.

Nellisir

Hero
smilinggm said:
Agreed, but I did not want to kill the OP with sticker shock!
Better now than when he gets the bill!

I would be carefull with the snap-together-laminates esp in a basement. IF this basement has any water problems (ie Flooding or water seaping in thru the walls), then you will have constant costly problms with the laminate flooring. Yes it is cheap and easy, but basemets usualy present too many problems for a propper install. I would suggest one of 3 floor coverings: Painting w/a Good floor paint or Epoxy, Staining the Concrete w/a concrete stain, or Tiling the floor. All have a high tolerance for water. If you want your can place a rug in stratigic areas. But I will not ever suggest carpet in a basemet. Also I would strongly suggest look in to using Paperless Wallpaper or some form of cement board over straight sheetrock. Basic sheetrock is very prone to mold problems in basements again due to moisture and water issues.
Water in the basement is the biggest danger. On the other hand, the OP has apparently lived there before, on a sofa, so it's already furnished and probably doesn't have a dangerously high moisture level. We've done quite a few basement remodels; moisture can be controlled in a basement with some common sense. Concrete or tile is the best for moisture resistance, but their attractiveness and comfort is highly subjective - I find tile and concrete floors very uncomfortable.

Too little information, really - maybe we should have an enworld field trip to his basement!

RichCsigs

First Post
Yes, better now for sticker shock before we start doing anything.

While I was picturing a high price for this, it's beginning to sound like it'll be even bigger than I was thinking. I'm thinking I can live without the shower, but I have to have a toilet (being "sick" & having to run up stairs to use the toilet sucks big time).

Nellisir said:
Too little information, really - maybe we should have an enworld field trip to his basement!

Ack!! Let us decide if we're going to do this and clean out the basement first! ;)

ssampier

First Post
Such a project sounds expensive. Does such a project increase the home's value may that much or more, generally? Example if you spent $5000 on the basement, would the home be worth $6k or $7k more? I realize it can depend, I am just curious what the general "going-rate" would be.

Nellisir

Hero
ssampier said:
Such a project sounds expensive. Does such a project increase the home's value may that much or more, generally? Example if you spent $5000 on the basement, would the home be worth $6k or $7k more? I realize it can depend, I am just curious what the general "going-rate" would be.

Assuming a good, code-acceptable, remodel with no glaring problems - I'd say yes, it's probably worth it, within reason. No marble, no brazilian cherry hardwood flooring (beautiful stuff, though), and don't spend $500 on bath fixtures, for crying out loud. It depends on the value of the house, how much the renovation covers, etc and so forth. I can't give a dollar value. A functional apartment with its own entrance, that could be legally rented out, is much more worthwhile than a basement room with unfinished concrete walls and a 1/2 bath (toilet and sink).

Last edited:

ssampier

First Post
Nellisir said:
Assuming a good, code-acceptable, remodel with no glaring problems - I'd say yes, it's probably worth it, within reason. No marble, no brazilian cherry hardwood flooring (beautiful stuff, though), and don't spend $500 on bath fixtures, for crying out loud. It depends on the value of the house, how much the renovation covers, etc and so forth. I can't give a dollar value. A functional apartment with its own entrance, that could be legally rented out, is much more worthwhile than a basement room with unfinished concrete walls and a 1/2 bath (toilet and sink).

As a straight-man I hate to admit I like watching those "flip" this house shows. I just wanted to know how much was reality ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads