Pogre's Story Hour - with Pics of Minis & Scenery (Final Update)

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Re: Episode 49

pogre said:

The small stone boxes around the central sarcophagus opened simultaneously. From each of these issued forth what looked like a badly malformed infant. The infants all wailed and cried, creating an unbearable cacophony of voices.

The Queen rose with malice burning out of her dead eyes. Her crippled infant children crawled and squirmed along the floor towards the adventurers.

“Turn them!” Johann yelled to Bridget.

Bridget froze in fear.

To be continued…

Very eerie scene there Pogre....

What are the undead infants?

Caliber

Explorer
Re: Re: Episode 49

Broccli_Head said:
What are the undead infants?

Inquiring minds want to know!

So why was Quint failing to cast his spells? Arcane Spell Failure?

Isn't it a pain when the Cleric falls FIRST in the combat?

pogre

Legend
Re: Re: Re: Episode 49

Caliber said:

So why was Quint failing to cast his spells? Arcane Spell Failure?

Isn't it a pain when the Cleric falls FIRST in the combat?

Hi Caliber!

Quint's spell failures were due to a new mechanic we are using from the forth coming Badaxe's Grim Tales. Quint was really breaking the odds failing as much as he did.

pogre

Legend
Episode 50!

Episode 50

*It seems like episode 50 should be something special, I remember buying Issue #50 of Dragon magazine and is was pretty cool. There was a feature where you ran yourself through a solo adventures that was a series of episodes that tested you’re A-D&D knowledge. Well, I have nothing that extraordinary for this episode – I’ll just make it a bit longer. I’ll try to come up with something grand for number 100.

The despair in the chamber was palpable, and Bridget could not bring herself to move. The emotions running through her were difficult to pin down – fear certainly, and a sort of overwhelming sadness. Johann was yelling something at her, she was vaguely aware of that, but his voice bounced like an empty echo through her head. She wanted to cry, but there were no tears.

“Take out big mama and maybe the shorties will fall,” Quint yelled charging the largest mummy.

Johann glanced at Bridget once more and followed Quint into the fray.

The queen mummy landed a telling blow on the charging Quint knocking him across the room. Her supernatural strength caught him off guard and he shook his head trying to shake the cobwebs loose from his mind. Meanwhile, a couple of the infants, trailing bits of linen, crawled over to attempt to bite his legs.

Johann’s sword hit the Queen with full effect nearly knocking her off her feet. Her wails caused the infants to increase their screaming and crawl over to her defense. The reprieve allowed Quint to get to his feet. Johann looked to Bridget hopefully, but could see she was still lost in the overwhelming fear and despair of this place.

Johann braced for the Queen’s assault. She missed him apparently still reeling from his earlier blow. Johann renewed his attack but missed. Quint dashed back into the melee and buried his epee into the undead matriarch ignoring the attentions of her children.

The Queen assailed from two sides seemed to hesitate for a moment and then lashed out against Johann. Johann deftly dodged the Queen’s assault and brought his sword back down on her in reply. The blow knocked the Queen to her knees. She screamed a pitiful curse.

Quint jumped forth and buried his foil again. Johann finished the dead mother with a solid shot to her neck that left her head connected to her body by linen only. Her body shook and then slumped forth.

Quint’s theory about the infant mummies was proved wrong as one of them buried its rotten claw in his calf.

“Aieee! You little git!” Quint cried out. He whirled around and kicked the assailant across the room.

The infants had only increased their loud wailing with their mother’s demise. They swarmed around Quint’s legs forcing him to dance a jig to avoid their attacks.

Johann moved over to Quint’s position and with a sweep of his blade dispatched one of the crawling menaces. Quint stabbed one hanging off his ankle and it receded back laying still. One by one the two adventurers returned the infants to eternal rest.

Finally, the disturbing cries of the undead babes receded from the chamber. Bridget stepped forward and snapped out of her daze.

“Thanks for your help,” Johann snarled at her in a mocking voice.

“How sad,” Bridget commented.

“What are you talking about?” Quint asked.

“They killed all of her babies,” Bridget said. Her shoulders shook and she began to cry softly.

“What’s wrong Brigs?” Quint asked, moving to her side.

“It was a vision. She was his Queen and they did not want him to have an heir. Every time she had a baby the midwife took it out and it came back to her dead. They told her they were stillborn, but she knew they were killing them. She could do nothing about it.” Bridget cried a bit more and then smiled and said to Quint, “I’ll be fine.”

Johann had been searching during the exchange and reported he had found no secret doors. He held up a necklace he retrieved from the Queen’s neck. “Hey, this will a bring a coin or two. But, that’s it for this place let’s go to the other passage.”

Quint wrapped an arm around Bridget and asked her, “Are you ready?”

“Yes, I’m fine,” she answered.

“Don’t freeze up like that over here sister or we may not make it out,” Johann cautioned.

Bridget ignored Johann’s comments and followed Quint and him back to the other passage.

“I’m banking on this being the big man’s tomb,” Johann announced.

“It looks to be,” Quint admitted.

0916_approaching_romenthrok_tomb_th.jpg

Romenthrok’s tomb.

“It mirrors the Queen’s tomb,” Bridget agreed.

0915_main_tomb_layout_th.jpg

Tomb layout.

“You know, and I know a big nasty is coming out of that sarcophagus,” Johann noted. “Is there anything you can give me to help in the coming battle?”

Bridget gave a short chant and cast strength of the bull on Johann.

The group strode into the room and Johann removed the lid of the sarcophagus.

0917_romenthrok_rises_th.jpg

Romenthrok rises.

Johann set his jaw and charged into the chamber. His wide swinging blade hit home and Romenthrok buckled. Quint followed and drove his weapons home. Bridget smashed him with her mace and the former king fell and moved no more.

The group looked around the chamber at all of the treasures.

0918_romenthrok_tomb_th.jpg

Romenthrok’s Chamber.

They began picking up and inspecting the treasures.

“Too easy,” Quint said.

“What?” Bridget asked.

“Yeah, I was thinking the same thing,” Johann stated.

“This isn’t Romenthrok?” Bridget asked.

“I have my doubts,” Quint confirmed. “Besides, I don’t see any scrolls or anything else in this room that resembles a spell. Graywyr has been right so far, why would he be wrong about this?”

“He was not wrong,” Johann commented. He threw a gem across the chamber and laughed as it burst into pieces.

“What are you doing?” Bridget asked.

“They are made of paste stone. They’re fake.” Following his pronouncement, Johann immediately began searching the walls.

Quint joined in the search while Bridget looked at the undead creature they had just dispatched.

“I think this was some sort of zombie with a thickened skin,” Bridget stated.

“No wonder it went down so quickly,” Quint replied.

“Wasted a spell for a stinking Zombie,” Johann muttered.

“Here!” Quint announced excitedly. “A seam in the wall. Come have a look Johann.”

“Definitely a door,” the fighter confirmed. Feeling around for some lever or release mechanism his explorations were rewarded with the discovery of a small button. Johann pushed the button. The secret door hinged slightly open and an audible click was heard in the area beyond.

“Well, the door is opened and I think I just set a trap,” Johann announced.

“Let’s go,” Quint directed.

0919_falling_slab_room_th.jpg

Chamber beyond the secret door.

“Here goes nothing,” Johann stepped inside the chamber. A huge slab came tumbling down. Johann barely cleared out of the stone’s path. Quint and Bridget followed him into the chamber. Another simple door was set in the south door.

The adventurers went through the door and found a simple chamber. An elaborate sarcophagus with a carved lid of a king was in the center of the room.

“Get ready,” Johann warned. He eased up to the side of the sarcophagus and removed the lid. Nothing stirred. Instead he found an ornate, bejeweled breastplate, a decorated rod, and a crown on a corpse. Johann carefully removed the items whistling in a low tone. “Now these are the real deal my friends.”

“Is there a tome? A scroll? Anything that might contain the spell?” Bridget asked.

Johann rifled through the contents of the coffin. “No, nothing,” he responded.

Quint looked around the chamber. This room contained none of the elaborate illustration of the previous chambers. Instead, there was a simple golden script embedded on the walls all around the chamber. “I think I found the spell,” he announced.

Bridget and Johann both looked at him. Both received answers to the question they were about to ask by following Quint’s eyes. The script wound around the chamber with a mysterious simplicity that brought serenity to the place.

“It is the spell,” Bridget confirmed.

“Break the medallion and call Graywyr,” Johann commanded.

Quint removed the medallion he had been entrusted with and put it between his fingers. There was a soft snap as the medallion was broken in twain.

They waited.

“Where is he?” Johann finally inquired impatiently.

“It has been too long,” Bridget stated.

A voice came into their minds. It was Graywyr.

I’m waiting to bring you home. Come to the valley entrance with the spell in one hour or I’m leaving.

“Oh that’s great. How do we get him the spell?” Johann asked.

Bridget retrieved some parchment and began rubbing against the letters on the wall with a piece of charcoal. The impressions of the letters were recorded on the parchment. As she moved around the room the spell was disappearing behind her. Quint pointed this out to her, but she confirmed that the letters remained on the parchment. As her parchment covered the last word and she rubbed something stirred from the sarcophagus.

“I think we just broke the spell,” Quint observed.

0920_true_romenthrok_th.jpg

The true Romenthrok rises.

to be continued...

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Episode 51

Episode 51

The shadowy figure smelled of death and decay and its color was that of dark smoke, insubstantial, and at times translucent. The essence was Romenthrok, however, and his hatred filled the room. With startling ease the shadowy foe moved towards Bridget.

Bridget rebuked the undead spirit, but Romenthrok laughed a silent, mocking guffaw and placed his tendrils of icy cold death on the cleric. Her armor was of no use against this insubstantial attack and she felt her life force being pulled from her.

0921_fighting_romenthrok_th.jpg

Fighting Romenthrok.

Quint stabbed at the dark apparition but his foil passed through. “Not this again!” he stated with exasperation and desperation in his voice.

Johann’s blade passed through the spirit as well and a pall fell over the group as they fully realized Bridget’s predicament.

Tendrils in the shape of fingers reached out and grasped the cleric. More of her life force leached out to the insubstantial veil of undeath.

Bridget lamely sparred with her mace to no avail. Quint stabbed home on the shadowy beast, and a slow wound appeared. Johann likewise dealt the dark monster a blow, but it withstood their assault.

Bridget braced herself, anticipating the attack, and again it came. Olpheria must have watched over her maiden, because though the monster stole some life force – Bridget remained upright with her last ounce of will.

Nearly simultaneously, Quint’s and Johann’s steel bit into the malignant spirit. In a cry of distress and relief the dark shadow faded.

The group quickly scooped up their materials and made for the tomb’s exit. They raced through the chambers and halls and dragged Bridget along by the hand like a recalcitrant toddler.

…..

“Well, with a few minutes to spare,” Graywyr commented. “The spell please.”

Bridget weakly handed the pages of parchment to the aged wizard.

His face could not conceal his pleasure. “Excellent. Most excellent. You have done very well my friends! Let us depart.”

Holding hands the group was gone from the valley in a flash.

…..

The breakfast was excellent as usual and the three talked amongst themselves.

“Ahem,” Graywyr coughed. “I assume you are feeling better Bridget after the treatment?”

“Oh much, thank you,” Bridget answered.

“Excellent, I need to do something before we settle our accounts.” Graywyr snapped his fingers and with the snap each of the adventurers felt something snap within their heads.

They all felt disoriented, and also not quite so sure of their old friend Graywyr.

“We were charmed,” Quint stated.

“Quite true. Unavoidable I’m afraid,” Graywyr said. “Now however, you are in full control of your faculties and I would like to conclude the dealings between us. I restored Bridget’s health in full from the life drain of the spirit. A magical operation I would normally charge many times the gold I promised you.”

“A fair trade,” Quint agreed. “I would settle squared.”

“Obviously, I feel the same,” Bridget agreed.

“This is not even right,” Johann complained. “We have zero bargaining leverage. It’s ridiculous. If I claim to want my money you will just turn me into a toad or something.”

“No, no, please,” Graywyr smiled at Johann. “What do you think is fair?”

“Oh, I do not know, forget it,” Johann said with defeat edging into his voice.

“Very well,” Graywyr replied. “Next time you come to my house, please stay as my guests.”

“We shall. Thank you Master Graywyr. You have been most generous,” Quint stated.

“No. Thank you. Be sure to tell my old friend Ladrophos hello,” Graywyr smiled as he held the front door open for the group.

They all stepped to the outside.

“Man, that was weird,” Johann commented.

"Hey, where's Shannon?" Bridget asked.

To be continued…

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Johann's Story

Johann’s Story

Pragmatist. Johann liked the sound of that word and it really summed up his life outlook quite nicely.

“Causes get you killed.”

He had to laugh a little as he practiced his sword work. Hanging around two clerics had made him follow a lot of causes these days. Still their healing power was worth it.

Finally, when he weighed the choices, the truth was he really appreciated the members of his group in a pinch. They all had a role and for the most part they were pretty good at it.

Now that was pragmatically thinking!

0103_Johann_th.jpg

Johann’s old figure.

1001_johann01_th.jpg

Johann’s new figure view one.

1002_johann02_th.jpg

Johann’s new figure view two.

1003_johann03_th.jpg

Johann’s new figure view three.

Truth be told I really like the old Johann figure, even if it was not well painted. It was a very old citadel mini and I like its darkness. Johann’s player did not share my sentiments generally and provided me with this new figure some time ago. I have to admit it does reflect Johann’s armor and weapons more accurately. As he just gained a level now seems a good time to put the new figure into play.

hwoolsey

First Post
You're my hero

The old fig is a great figure. But you're right, it just doesn't reflect my image of Johann. If I were going to play a ranger or a lighter-armored fighter I'd keep using it.

The new one looks fabulous. I'm so excited to start using it.

Hank (Johann in Pogre's story hour)

pogre

Legend
Final Update

We played last night.
Things were going along fine and then something happened I have not experienced in several years and never in 3E D&D.

TOTAL
PARTY
KILL

I knew I should not have painted a new figure for Johann;)

I will start a new story hour with pics of course for the new campaign in the near future.

Remove ads