• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Point Buy system for weapon proficiency or something.

jgsugden

Legend
One level of multi-classing is often a solution to these problems and better reflects the foray into heavier weapons. I would not make this change. If a PC really wanted to have their Rogue know longbow from the start, I'd tell them, "OK, but at 2nd level you must multiclass into a class that has ranged martial weapons as a multi-class benefit)."

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Using Human, Half-Elf, and Elf races as a rosetta stone, you can figure out how balanced each racial trait is worth and then compare to other races to gage what other traits are valued at. Elves get racial weapon training, which is equal to +1 to any ability score (typically a “primary”* score, so I would balance it to that).
*During point buy it takes (2) points to raise a “Primary score” above 13.

Weapons have a low impact, typically +1 damage. So not a huge balance issue even if you are way off.

If a wizard used a 2d8 melee weapon it doesn’t really affect the balance as much as a fighter using a 2d8 weapon. Giving a wizard longsword for free doesn’t matter, as they are balanced around cantrips, but giving it to a monk might. You need to balance it to the class, not to the game.

Some easy points to quickly adjust sub/races:

All races have 12 points built into them:
2 pts each:
+1 to any ability score
1 skill
1 cantrip

Ribbons (worth 0 points)
-languages
-darkvision
-trance
-fey ancestry

I won’t bother posting the whole chart, but I have a pretty robust racial chart where characters can be a half-dwarf, half-halfling character, or any other pair by selecting racial traits to reflect their parentage and/or upbringing. Ex: a Half-Orc raised in a city to reflect a less tribal-like upbringing that the standard race block pushed towards Fighter or Barbarian.

I run a pretty cosmopolitan world, and find this just increases character options beyond race/class/background. Players have enjoyed it and I haven’t seen any balance issues, even when a couple of them try to optimize it.
I’d be interested to see the full chart if you’re so inclined. Maybe in another thread or a message. No worries if not though.

Jediking

Explorer
I’d be interested to see the full chart if you’re so inclined. Maybe in another thread or a message. No worries if not though.

I will find it and post elsewhere and give you a shout out. Might take a couple days to polish it up for others to view :)

It is only balanced with the PHB, SCAG, and Volo's (non-monstrous only, as WotC specifically called out that the monstrous races were not designed to be balanced against the core races).
Haven't looked at Eberron or Ravnica

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I will find it and post elsewhere and give you a shout out. Might take a couple days to polish it up for others to view :)

It is only balanced with the PHB, SCAG, and Volo's (non-monstrous only, as WotC specifically called out that the monstrous races were not designed to be balanced against the core races).
Haven't looked at Eberron or Ravnica
That’s more than good enough for me 😁 Thank you!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads