D&D 5E Point Buy vs Rolling for Stats

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Or, like in my case, people are forced to roll for ability scores and not given a choice. I see no reason to believe DMs are "forcing" point buy but not "forcing" rolling.

What does force non-rolling char-gen methods is AL, which seems to be how a lot of people are entering D&D these days; and I suspect we might be seeing the results of this long-term influence.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Are DMs dictators?
Yes. Really, they're a step above dictators, wielding not only absolute but unlimited power within the confines of their imaginary domains.

The only question is whether they are benevolent dictators. ;)

What does force non-rolling char-gen methods is AL, which seems to be how a lot of people are entering D&D these days; and I suspect we might be seeing the results of this long-term influence.
It's not been a very long term if we only consider AL, but Encounters goes back to 2010, and with 3e having such a heavy player-side 'build' emphasis, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of groups eschewed random generation for various buy schemes, to just further deepen the system mastery aspect at the cost of the luck aspect...

...IDK what stat generation methods LFR, or the other RPGA 'living' campaigns before it used, though...

Oofta

Legend
Yes. Really, they're a step above dictators, wielding not only absolute but unlimited power within the confines of their imaginary domains.

The only question is whether they are benevolent dictators. ;)

It's not been a very long term if we only consider AL, but Encounters goes back to 2010, and with 3e having such a heavy player-side 'build' emphasis, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of groups eschewed random generation for various buy schemes, to just further deepen the system mastery aspect at the cost of the luck aspect...

...IDK what stat generation methods LFR, or the other RPGA 'living' campaigns before it used, though...

Living City goes back to 1987 (I think), they used a point buy variant. Well, at least since 1993 when I joined.

Hussar

Legend

Not really though. I linked to an En World poll above from 2005 where point buy was more common than die rolling. That predates AL by about a decade. But, yeah, I wonder if things like Living City and whatnot, which have been around for a LONG time, have had some impact.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Not really though. I linked to an En World poll above from 2005 where point buy was more common than die rolling. That predates AL by about a decade. But, yeah, I wonder if things like Living City and whatnot, which have been around for a LONG time, have had some impact.

Probably. A lot of people will prefer the method they learned to play the game with, whether that is rolling or point buy. It's what you are used to, and you know what to expect.

I started of learning with rolling and didn't really consider any other method. Then dropped out of the hobby for several years and came back with the advent of D&D 3.0 and started playing Living Greyhawk - which was point buy only. Learned to to play with lower stats, slow progression, and really cash poor characters. And realized I enjoyed it more than I did rolling stats and playing really powerful characters at low levels.

Last edited:

Arial Black

Adventurer

I agree. I never even considered using any point-buy method I saw in a D&D book, until I was 'forced' to use one when I played Pathfinder organised play, and now AL for 5E.

Point-buy is 'better' than rolling when playing in a competitive environment, but my previous such experience offered no such 'make your own PC but use point-buy' option. Instead, such environments provided a selection of pre-gens and you had to choose one.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I agree. I never even considered using any point-buy method I saw in a D&D book, until I was 'forced' to use one when I played Pathfinder organised play, and now AL for 5E.

Point-buy is 'better' than rolling when playing in a competitive environment, but my previous such experience offered no such 'make your own PC but use point-buy' option. Instead, such environments provided a selection of pre-gens and you had to choose one.

Not being able to roll stats is one of the main reasons I refuse to play AL.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Not being able to roll stats is one of the main reasons I refuse to play AL.
I wonder how much "market" there'd be for a less buttoned-down version of something like AL - organized play, yes, but run with a bit more of an 'anything goes' vibe to it; more like a home game would often be. Roll 'em up any way the DM decides for that table. House rules OK. And to prevent abuses, no transfer of characters from one table to another. Join a new table, roll up a new character.

Lan-"just wondering"-efan

Remove ads