Points of Light and the Forgotten Realms

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
3catcircus said:
Bad idea. This limits a DM (especially a DM new to the realms) to only one region. Which region would you detail? The Dalelands? Cormyr? Silver Marches? What about someone who grew up playing Baldur's Gate II and wants to adventure in Amn? Should they have to wait a few months or years for the region book detailing Amn to be released? That is not gonna attract players to the campaign setting. DMs need a minimum level of detail about the entire campaign world to start a game. Those who *want* more detail will buy supplements. Thos e who want to detail things themselves have a base to go upon.
I actually think it does the reverse. It empowers the DMs to use the areas that aren't mentioned without stepping on canon.

What do the Dalelands look like 100 years in the future? We don't know. Maybe there is a small village called "Samville" in the northern area where goblins live and a beholder is in charge. That's what's cool about it, *I* get to decide.

If they tell me the top 100 NPCs in the region with motivations and titles, give me a detailed map of all the roads and the landmarks, and give me a list of the laws and customs....well, there's no room for MY ideas in the equation.

There needs to be a minimum amount of information, I admit. However, minimum can be pretty low. For instance, the country of Ket in Greyhawk hasn't EVER had more than 3 pages of information written about it, officially. That's what makes it fun to take the information that has been given and figure out the details.

I'd be perfectly fine with the minimum being something like: "Since the Spellplague, Neverwinter has fallen on hard times, the population has decreased dramatically. It is very much a city in ruin. However, the current leader, John Smith a paladin of some renown has been trying to pick up the pieces and has organized the population as best as he could. The city has been attacked by monsters for a couple of decades now, but they continue to survive, if just barely."

That gives me a good basis for running a campaign there with a starting point. It tells me the THEME of a place and lets me come up with the details myself.

Remove ads