POLL: Extra 5'-Step for Haste?

Is an extra 5' Step allowed for Haste?

• Yes, an extra 5'-Step for Haste should be allowed

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • No, there is only one 5'-Step per round

Votes: 49 69.0%
  • Get a life - don't you have better things to worry about.

Votes: 4 5.6%

KarinsDad

Adventurer
AGGEMAM said:

"Except that rule is only stated for Move Equivalent actions. It's not stated for partial actions."

Well, you're wrong there, sorry!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PHB, page 117, Combat Basics, Movement, Last Paragraph.

If your entire move for the round is 5 feet (a 5-foot-step), enemies do not get AoO for you moving.

What does the "enemies do not get a movement AoO if all you do is a 5 foot step" rule have to do with whether you allowed to get use more than one 5 foot step per round.

Rather harse shutting down of Caliban there AGGEMAM and then your reasoning wasn't even applicable.

If you want to show that he is wrong, please quote a reference that refers to what he was talking about.

AGGEMAM said:

why don't you have a look yourself. Two paragraph above, also PHB, page 121. Most Full-round actions allow you to make a 5-foot-step.

Fine. You can make a 5 foot with a full round action. Where does it say that you cannot make a 5 foot with a full round, followed by a 5 foot with a partial when Hasted?

AGGEMAM said:

Remember, that under Partial actions it say:

'Typically, you may take a 5-foot-step as part of a Partial action.'

That word *typically*, always stand for 'exceptions noted'.

Where are the exceptions noted? How can you infer that the exception must apply to when you are hasted and have already done a 5 foot? Maybe it means when you do a partial charge and have already moved with your partial action.

Again, none of the rules quoted so far have definitively stated that you cannot have two 5 foot moves in a round. The only rule that even comes close is the one for MEAs which states this for MEAs. However, you cannot take this specific single case and say that it means it for everything. The designers quite explicitly ONLY stated this for MEAs, possibly because MEAs are the only actions where you can get two in a normal round, but who knows?

But, you cannot infer from this that the designers also meant it for hasted rounds. Nor, can you infer from the reference in the FAQ that they meant it for hasted rounds either. You can assume that, but you cannot infer it and state it as fact.

Artoomis

First Post
Consider this quote (I finally pulled out my PHB)

Combat Chapter (Chapter 8)
Actions in Combat heading
Move-Equivalent sub-heading, paragraph 2 (page 121)

If you move no actual distance in a round (commonly because you have swapped your move for one or more move-equivalent actions), you can take one 5-foot step either before, during or after the action.

Discussion in the other thread.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
I don't know how many time the book says that you only get one 5' step per round... but it's more than one. I'd have to 'vote' that way. No 'extra' 5' step from haste.

Virago

First Post
Artoomis:

Your quote is the very one we are referring to. Note that it occurs in the Move Equivalent Action section. Note that it does not occur in the earlier section regarding full-round actions and their 5' steps.

Tony Vargas:

Rather than bet, why don't you find a second one, and then we'll talk? ;)

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Gees, why is everyone being so hard on art? I think the first post in unbiased enough.

It looks like most people side with him too.

I'm glad I get to run my campaign my way.

--Whistling Spikey

Artoomis

First Post
Virago said:
Artoomis:

Your quote is the very one we are referring to. Note that it occurs in the Move Equivalent Action section. Note that it does not occur in the earlier section regarding full-round actions and their 5' steps.

Tony Vargas:

Rather than bet, why don't you find a second one, and then we'll talk? ;)

See the primary thread on this topic where I discuss the other quote.

Artoomis

First Post
61 votes! Cool.

<Yes, this is indeed a shameless bump to try and get more votes for this poll. It's not my fault that voting doesn't bump a poll to the top of the list.>

Ziggy

First Post
I play with 1 5-foot step per round, and use declared actions to get around the "change the past" sillyness. Thus if you take a 5-foot step, no more movement this round (including haste).

.Ziggy

Remove ads