D&D 5E Poll: Is it rude for a sidelined player to leave the session?

If a player is sidelined with nothing to do for an extended period, is it rude for him or her to lea

Assume that a player has been sidelined with nothing to do for an extended period. (His PC is out of commission, or the party is split, and the DM isn't involving the player in some other way.)

If the player excuses himself from the game session to e.g. go watch a movie with his girlfriend, is that player being rude?

If you pick "Depends," please explain your vote in a comment.

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
Only if there is a strong chance the sideline will be repaired quickly.

If the sideline is expected to be a longer duration then a player with other options should take advantage of them.

My answer: no, it's not rude unless he does it rudely. E.g. if he leaves in a huff, or leaves when it's likely his absence will cause problems for other players later on (e.g. early session termination when the party gets back together), then it is rude. But it is not intrinsically rude to make good use of your time.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
If the player has a higher value (to them) activity they can participate in, and they have confirmed with the DM that they won't be able to rejoin the game in a reasonable length of time, then it's not rude to leave.

It's also not rude to stay, as long as their presence isn't disruptive to the game. If their presence is disruptive, then it would be rude not to leave.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Like just about everything else in the hobby it comes down to what the goal of your game is.

First off, if you're a bit clever as a GM you can absolutely fill in a little bit of time where someone's one character isn't available. Hand them a relevant NPC in an encounter or story to fill in for. Give them a task to write up or do something for game management, or even solicit them for feedback and results on something. With some groups that should work fine.

In my younger days I do recall some people doing this sort of thing rudely. Not people I gamed with frequently, but occasionally I'd play with another group or a one-off person that intentionally didn't want to be a part of the game except for "their turn" or whatever. Constantly in their phone or going back to their desk to play Everquest or something. Essentially they really didn't value other people's time very much, and that's rude. Similarly later in life I had a player that despite agreeing that for this campaign we're all playing characters that are willing to flex their personality and goals a little bit so we can get things done in a limited amount of playtime, but they still insisted on building and playing characters that had their own entire subplots not-related to the game or the rest of the group at-all... and they insisted on following those plots and goals exclusively. Stuff like that is rude.

It's not that different from player elimination in a board game. If the group likes that kinda game and can deal with it and someone goes and watches TV or something when they're out of the running, totally cool. Some other games a player "feels" effectively eliminated but is still an important part of the process... I kinda feel like they should take one for the team for a bit and still at least pay attention and try.

I guess at the end of the day all I care about is "does this action show at least proper respect to other people at the table and other people's time?" Then it's fine.

Remove ads