Poll of the Week: What's the best gift for your GM?

The holidays are coming up so it's time to start thinking about what to buy your fellow gamers, especially the critically underappreciated game master in your life. But what to buy? Take this poll and let us know!

The holidays are coming up so it's time to start thinking about what to buy your fellow gamers, especially the critically underappreciated game master in your life. But what to buy? Take this poll and let us know!

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
Best gift is of course their time. It's something they'll never get back, and it sure feels good knowing they'd prefer to spend some of it in your campaign.

Since we can't gift extra time to our favorite GMs, the next best thing is, in my opinion, the gift of rulebooks followed by the gift of RPG-themed clothing.

I once received an Order of the Stick themed t-shirt from a player, and boy did I ever wear that shirt with pride to many a game session.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Well, you have to know your DM. The age of the DM, how invested they already are in the hobby, how much of a collector the DM is, and other factors can make many of these suggestions be less than ideal. Obviously, any DM is going to graciously accept any of these suggestions with thanks, but if you don't know your DM that well, but you want to do something nice for her this Christmas, her is my annotated buying guide from the poll:

Dice

This is a good, safe option, especially if you are on a budget. While most DM's will have lots of dice, having a few more never hurts. But my recommendation is to find less common options. There are always kickstarters for dice, so you could back some and hold on to them for gifts as many of the kickstarted dice go out of production quickly. If your budget is not so tight and you are felling generous, get some nice precision metal dice. The good ones can cost $20 per die, so even just a d20 or a pair of d10s will be appreciated. Even if your DM has invested in high quality dice, he likely doesn't have a lot of them and will appreciate a few more.

Game Master's Screen

Unless the GM is absolutely new I would say no, this is not a good idea. First, even a new DM is likely to have bought one of the "official ones" and experienced DM have probably put a lot of thought into which screen they use--perhaps even creating their own custom screens. Also, if your DM does NOT use a screen, that is likely due to preference, and your DM may feel pressured to use a screen when she prefers not to if you give one to her as a gift.

Rulebooks

Again, probably not, unless your DM is just starting out. Generally the DM is going to have the books he needs to run the game he wants to run. I would only give a rule book as a DM if I really knew him well and knew he needed or wanted it and was unlikely to get it before the time I'm giving the gift. Some exceptions would be a student or someone with financial trouble that wants to DM but can afford the buy in--maybe a group of players can go in together and buy a core set for him. Another exception is a DM who likes to collect RPGs. If you know a system that he doesn't have, you can get that for him. Again, Kickstarter can be good for this, so long as you know he isn't backing it.

RPG-themed Clothing

Good, if you know the DMs tastes and size. Many of my players and I wear "gaming" shirts on game day. Just t-shirts with usually humorous art and text on them. I would love receiving these, but I am hesitant to gift them, mostly because I am awful with sizing. One thing I do though, is that some kickstarters include t-shirts as extra stretch goals. I'll often buy a couple extra at different sizes to give to one of my sons or a friend.

RPG-themed apps for phone/tablet/computer

You really need to know your DM's preferences well. A D&D Beyond subscription could be nice, if the DM doesn't already have one. But if he already has everything in Roll20, would he use it? If the DM likes pen and paper, and doesn't like electronics at the table, an app if probably not a great idea. DMs that use a lot of electronic aids at the table likely already spent a lot of time trying different options and may not need or want to use another app.

Theme Music

Depends on the DM. For myself, I would rather a player take the role of game DJ. I've tried Syrinscape and just using playlists from Youtube Music or Apple Music. It just became another thing I had to deal with. Of course, know your DM. But I would be hesitant to give music or game-sound subscriptions to DMs you don't know well.

Miniatures

I think this is one of the safest option. Even DMs that only do VTTs, they can still enjoy miniatures for the occasional game where digital options are not available. It is easy to know if a DM can use miniatures. If they play with miniatures at least some of the time, it is obvious they can use them. If you get them one they aready have, they can still use them.

Terrain & RPG Decor (lamps, tables, wall-hangings, etc.)

Again, unless you know that the DM only uses digital battlemaps, I think terrain is a good option. If you don't know the DM get setting agnostic terrain in easy-to-store formats. Battlemap spiral binders, felt 2D terrain and maps, tile sets, and arc knight style 2D stand up terrain are all pretty safe options.

I would not buy digital terrain and decor unless I am sure what system the DM uses.

Other (explain in the comments)

Some other items that most DMs can appreciate:

• measuring sticks for physical terrain & minis
  • laser pointers
  • game-themed swag like d20-shaped mugs
  • gift cards to a FLGS
  • Amazon gift cards

pogre

Legend
I love it when my players buy me calligraphy ink, parchment, or anything else I use to make props. I have a player that regularly brings me 3d terrain he has printed, which is an awesome gift too!

CM

Adventurer
Snacks to share if I'm lucky!

Everybody did pitch in with me to unlock all the books on D&D Beyond, so there's that.

Koloth

First Post
Are you getting the gift for the Person who is GM or the gaming group's position of GM? If the former, you get something you think the person would like/need. May not even be gaming related. If the later, whatever seems to be needed but not there during the sessions.

maceochaid

Explorer
We live in a golden age of cool accessories thanks to Kickstarter. Spell templates, spell effect markers, and flying stands for minis are some of those extras I don’t buy myself but would be thrilled to receive. Wooden deck/dice boxes are great, especially if you see them carting around ye olde velour dice bag. They can be pricey but if the whole group pitches in it will be something they will really use. (My friend Daniel Reiss at Elderwood Academy makes really nice ones!)

Bill Winski

First Post
Gift cards to FLGS... Even my wife doesn't know all the gaming goodies I have stashed away.
Not that I'm hiding them - we have LOTS of gaming stuff - she just doesn't really keep track.
I would expect my gaming group(s) would have even a less of an idea of all the stuff I own!
Bill

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads