D&D General Poll: Should a poster be expected to read (or at least skim) all posts before posting in a thread?

Should a poster be expected to read (or skim) all posts before posting in a thread?

• Yes

Votes: 42 25.9%
  • No

Votes: 120 74.1%

• Poll closed .

Yaarel

He Mage
Oh, that's good stuff man. Let's all talk more about angels and ether, yummy, yummy.
Ok for any others, here is the link to continue the conversation in a more topical thread:

Understanding how angels work, is surprisingly useful to understanding how the entire D&D multiverse works.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
A common motiff. You have your 15 page thread, and someone posts "so I skipped the first 15 pages, but here are my thoughts".

I personally consider this extremely arrogant. The person is effectively saying "other people's thoughts are not worthy of my time, but I think my thoughts should consume the time of others". Further, this often leads to duplicative posting, many times the poster writes something that has already been discussed at length in the 15+ pages prior.

On the flip side, as thread lengths get longer, the investment gets greater, and if posters are expected to read the whole thread, than the likelihood of new thoughts into the thread goes down substantially.

So what do you think is the better social convention: Posters should read (or at least skim) the entirety of a thread before posting, or should just post at their leisure?
I say no, especially as they're likely responding to the opening post. Considering drift in forum threads, by the time they post it might be the only post for a dozen or more pages that is on topic. Also, I haven't read any of the other posts in this thread.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Idea:

Whenever the mods post Redtext in a thread, perhaps they could edit the OP to provide a link to the Redtext so that new commenters are aware of what topics have already been addressed and should be avoided.
They often do that already in the sense that they'll stick a banner in the source post (if there's a single one).

Bolares

Hero
Idea:

Whenever the mods post Redtext in a thread, perhaps they could edit the OP to provide a link to the Redtext so that new commenters are aware of what topics have already been addressed and should be avoided.
Or at least a notification to thread watchers, so you don't miss the red text on posts that are flying quickly

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Expected? Yes.

Required? No.

I expect anyone who joins a discussion to read what others have wrote to some degree and understand the topic. But if they haven't I don't have an issue with getting them caught up, so long as they're in good faith.

Remove ads