D&D 5E Poll: What D&D setting do you want to have an official 5E book?

What would you want in an official D&D setting book?

• Greyhawk

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • Mystara

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Pelinore

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Kara-Tur

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 23 18.9%
  • Al-Qadim

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Birthright

• Council of Wyrms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Planescape

Votes: 23 18.9%
  • Jakandor

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Rokugan

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Dragon Fist

• Maharsapa

• Ghostwalk

• Nentir Vale

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • A Magic the Gathering Setting

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Other 3rd-Party Settings (please comment with your choice)

Just one vote???
I've notied the poll creation system is a bit limited. A "rank in order of preference" would probably be more useful, but it can't do that. Top "1" Top "3" Top "5" polls would yield almost completely different results. Single Transferable Vote would be cool to do. You take the results from this poll and eliminate the last place (and any with no votes), then do it again. Keep doing that until you have a winner.

Stormonu

Legend
All of them, except Rokugan (I prefer the L5R system to it being done in D&D).

If I had to choose one, I would have to go with Dragonlance. From there, Spelljammer, Dark Sun and Birthright would be my next choices.

I would have put Greyhawk, but Ghosts of Saltmarsh has me fulfilled for the moment. Same goes for Ravenloft - Curse of Strahd has all I need for now.

Coroc

Hero
Dark Sun is going to get the most votes because it needs the most crunch—not just races and (sub)classes, but full psionics rules and essentially its own Monster Manual since 90%+ D&D monsters aren’t found there (although there can be some reskinning suggestions like the MtG setting UAs).

You simply can’t do Dark Sun without a ton of personal design work put into it. None of the other settings need quite as much work done, though there are some that still need plenty.

Dark Sun is also, lore wise, a fairly easy one to do because they already figured out that people prefer the classic original setting date (as indicated by the positive reaction to the 4e presentation), so they can stick with that and make most fans happy. The other settings often have tough choices to be made about what date to set it at to make the most people happy. (The right answer is to pick the most iconic one and then have sidebars and a good sized appendix covering how to have a campaign in other time periods. That’s what the failed to do with FR, making most of their setting material useless to me, because I don’t play with the ridiculous “we advanced the timeline way ahead and totally changed the Realms for 4e and people weren’t generally happy about that, so we did it again for 5e, but this time we made it mostly look like the pre-4e Realms people loved (with all your favorite characters from before inexplicable back from the dead) except with odd 4e stuff incongruously still present, so nobody who actually cared about the old lore or a continuing campaign would be happy, so you can’t say we’re playing favorites, but new players who don’t know about the old lore can hopefully be just as delighted by it, since it was popular in the day, and they don’t realize the ridiculously contrived way we’re now presenting it!”)

Greyhawk will get votes just because of popularity, but frankly (and I say this as a fan) it doesn’t need an update since its crunch is almost entirely covered by core D&D stuff presented in 5e already.
Agreed, still voted PS since I am very far with my rule conversion already and so not in need anymore of what they could do better or worse.

Bitbrain

ORC (Open RPG) horde ally
Dark Sun. Hopefully WOTC titles it either The Wanderer’s Guide to Athas, or Athas: World of the Dark Sun.

Give me official stats for Athasian Halflings, Elves, Thri-Kreen, and half-dwarf Muls!

If they aren’t gonna do that, then just give me Dragonlance, please.

Voted Planescape because OP inexplicably skipped Taladas and made the "other" option third-party only. It doesn't fit under Dragonlance any more Al Qadim fits under Forgotten Realms. Anyway Taladas would be top of my list. Planescape, done properly, would be next, and Dark Sun after that, but we need Psionics first.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases