Poly Self and Outsider: worth it?

Veldrane

First Post
The Polymorph Self spell doesn't allow you to Poly into an outsider unless you are outsider youself. Now, here is the question...

Is it worth for a Sorcerer to take Aasimar (or Tiefling for Wizards)as race in order to be able to Polymorph into Outsiders, assuming IMHO the fact that Outsiders are very powerful creatures (I know you can't use their Sp Ex and Su abilities, but almost all of them fly, have very good physical stats, and have hands and voice in order to cast spells), even if you have to take the ECL +1?

Note that I adventure nearly always Polymorphed, so I'd benefit a lot of better creatures to Poly in...

Thnx in advance...

kreynolds

First Post
Veldrane said:
The Polymorph Self spell doesn't allow you to Poly into an outsider unless you are outsider youself.

Where does it say that? As far as I understand the spell...and I'm reading it right now...you are not restricted from outsiders. So, you should be fine. Unless I'm missing something.

pontus

First Post
Re: Re: Poly Self and Outsider: worth it?

kreynolds said:
Where does it say that? As far as I understand the spell...and I'm reading it right now...you are not restricted from outsiders. So, you should be fine. Unless I'm missing something.
You're missing the errata. It's in Tome and Blood, and in the errata for the Psionics HB.

pontus

First Post
Veldrane said:
Is it worth for a Sorcerer to take Aasimar (or Tiefling for Wizards)as race in order to be able to Polymorph into Outsiders, assuming IMHO the fact that Outsiders are very powerful creatures
If you were a native outsider then I would only let you poly into another native. Turning from aasimar to genasi isn't that good.

ruleslawyer

If you were a native outsider then I would only let you poly into another native. Turning from aasimar to genasi isn't that good.

I think that's a bit harsh. Native outsiders are clearly distinguished from outsiders only with respect to which plane they consider their home plane; they are not so distinguished for purposes of monster type. I'd definitely allow an aasimar, tiefling or genasi, native or not, to polymorph into an outsider.

As for whether it's worth the +1 ECL simply for the polymorph benefit: IMHO, no. Taking any ECL race for an arcane spellcasting class is generally a big disadvantage. Granted, you get the ability score bonus, but you could buy this by using your human bonus feat for Spellcasting Prodigy. Still, the polymorph-into-outsider bit is a nice perk, and if you wanted to be an aasimar or tiefling
anyway, then consider it an added bonus.

Veldrane

First Post
ruleslawyer said:

I think that's a bit harsh. Native outsiders are clearly distinguished from outsiders only with respect to which plane they consider their home plane; they are not so distinguished for purposes of monster type. I'd definitely allow an aasimar, tiefling or genasi, native or not, to polymorph into an outsider.

Absolutely right, a DM who rules that native outsiders can poly just into other native outsiders, is just trying to limit the players IMO.
Pontus, plz, read the MotP...

Xarlen

First Post
I like Tieflings. Just stating that. :)

Tieflings get nice resistances (Even if it's just 5), and the darkness. An NPC Tiefling Monk really did a number on the party (Giving him a 19 Wis, Blindsight, and Darkness are nasty, nasty combos).

But, I think that's a pretty good trick. Go for a tiefling or, even a Gensai, then go for the outsiders. Though, I think there may be some problems if there's a paladin in the party.

"You're a DEMON!"

Remove ads