• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Polyhedral Dice in Everyday Life

Yhsrock

First Post
I've been playing random numbers and dice for the last 20 years. A few years back, I bought a few d&d dice (100, 60,40). I use them for selecting which movies to watch and for random stuff. I find it fun and found a lot of unique results. For example, I'll watch a movie with a certain actor and a week or 2 later, another dice number will pop up with the same actor. I don't own alot of movies with the same cast. So it's funny how I watch something on Netflix and the number gives me one with the same actor. In all, it's a fun game of fun.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Random number generators on the web have the advantage that you are not limited by physical dice--you can roll 1d13 if you have to pick 1 of 13 options.

I did actually roll an 8-sided die when I had to pick which of 8 people was going first and needed the appearance of absolute unbiased randomness.

I've used 6- and 8-sided dice in more...intimate settings for the appearance of randomness. I am not sure how much more detail the rules allow me to go into...

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Polyhedral dice would have help me understand Statistics in high school much better. At the time it was like trying to memorize Vancian Magic formulas and I'm a First Principals guy, not a memorizer.

Remove ads