Polymorph Effects return!

Nymrohd

First Post
On a recent AP spoiler on rpg.net Gilthanas Galanodel revealed nothing less than the 4E version of Dragonform:

Wyrm Form (Sorcerer Attack 29)
Daily, Arcane, Implement, Polymorph, Varies
Minor Action, Personal
Requirement: Must not be bloodied
Effect: Until the end of the encounter or until you are bloodied, you take the form of a huge black, blue, green, red or white dragon (your choice when you use this power). you retain your statistics, hitpoints and defenses but have a speed of 8, fly 10 (hover). you can use your arcane powers in this form, and you gain the following melee basic attack, breath weapon attack and reactive attack.

Melee Basic Bite Attack: Standard action; reach 2; your level +7 vs AC; 3d10+ Cha mod damage. This is not an implement attack.

Breath Weapon Attack: Standard action; close blast 5 once per encounter; Cha vs Fort; 5d8 + cha mod acid, lightning, poison, fire or cold (based on form you choose).

Reactive Attack: Immediate reaction, when an enemy flanks you; make a melee basic bite attack. On a hit you also slide the target a number of squares equal to your cha mod.

Dragon Magic: You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls on attacks granted by this power

Seems that slowly but surely all the different archetypes of the arcane are returning to 4E. Polymorph effects were one of the greatest offenders in 3E and until late in 3.5 remained an interesting balance conundrum. How does everyone feel about this latest iteration of the polymorph mechanic?

Starbuck_II

First Post
On a recent AP spoiler on rpg.net Gilthanas Galanodel revealed nothing less than the 4E version of Dragonform:
---
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: Until the end of the encounter or until you are bloodied, you take the form of a huge black, blue, green, red or white dragon (your choice when you use this power). you retain your statistics, hitpoints and defenses but have a speed of 8, fly 10 (hover). you can use your arcane powers in this form, and you gain the following melee basic attack, breath weapon attack and reactive attack.

Melee Basic Bite Attack: Standard action; reach 2; your level +7 vs AC; 3d10+ Cha mod damage. This is not an implement attack.

Breath Weapon Attack: Standard action; close blast 5 once per encounter; Cha vs Fort; 5d8 + cha mod acid, lightning, poison, fire or cold (based on form you choose).

Reactive Attack: Immediate reaction, when an enemy flanks you; make a melee basic bite attack. On a hit you also slide the target a number of squares equal to your cha mod.

Dragon Magic: You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls on attacks granted by this power
---
Seems that slowly but surely all the different archetypes of the arcane are returning to 4E. Polymorph effects were one of the greatest offenders in 3E and until late in 3.5 remained an interesting balance conundrum. How does everyone feel about this latest iteration of the polymorph mechanic?

I like the idea: a Daily that grants good bonuses, but the basic attack seems weak as you can't add implement bonuses.

All though, you can fly all day (which is cool).

I'd perfer Breath Weapon was a rechaqrge 4, 5, 6 or 5, 6 instead of encounter though. That way you could use it again instead of 1/encounter breath like a dragon.

Maybe they will bring in Trollform, etc soon?

Byronic

First Post
All though, you can fly all day (which is cool).

Actually since it's till end of Encounter or bloodied it's not all day.

Although I am thinking of making an Encounter like a Scene in oWoD. Basically until the fight is over or an event. So if someone wanted to turn into a Dragon to fly for 2-3 hours it would be allowed, although it would stop if a fight was in progress.

This is great news, I love polymorph effects, thematically. I want more, I want an arcane/primal/divine/whatever striker based on polymorph, or mostly on polymorph.

Obviously it is really really hard to get good balance and polymorph, but that is what WotC pays game designers for!

Starbuck_II

First Post
Actually since it's till end of Encounter or bloodied it's not all day.

Although I am thinking of making an Encounter like a Scene in oWoD. Basically until the fight is over or an event. So if someone wanted to turn into a Dragon to fly for 2-3 hours it would be allowed, although it would stop if a fight was in progress.

I missed that that makes less useful.

I'd houserule that to until just bloodied. I mean, it is a daily of epic level.

Hereticus

First Post

Minor Action, Personal

While it's nice to have Polymorph back, I would've hoped it would be available before 29th level.

Nymrohd

First Post
Indeed it is the only power of its type that I can find on AP, though dragonform-type spells should be epic anyhow. Still interesting to see what mechanic they are planning for polymorph effects. I do wonder if we will eventually see a class built on this principle (maybe elemental classes will use these?).

Treebore

First Post
Having Polymorphs that only assume a specific form is something I have been doing for several years. Its the ability to assume numerous forms with just one spell casting that really made the old spells a pain, so going with 1 spell=specific form with specifically given abilities should alleviate most, if not all, the problems these spells can cause. Its worked for me, at least.

Remove ads