D&D 5E Polymorph: T-Rex and Giant Ape

Are players allowed to polymorph into T-rexes and Giant Apes in your game(s)?

• Yes, T-rexes and Giant Apes are fine

Votes: 42 79.2%
  • No, one or both of these options are restricted

Votes: 11 20.8%

Elon Tusk

Explorer
I don't think the spell mentions that the caster must have seen/observed the beast so we play that any 5e beast that the caster has read about is valid - kind of like a player becoming a dragonborn or aarakocra after reading about them in the PHB or EEPC.

Staccat0

First Post
My players battled a 4 eyed (two were blind and vestigial) creamcicle colored giant ape named Copper Tooth at level 4 so... yeah, as long as he gets to come back for a cameo.

Uller

Adventurer
Yes. Because last session the paladin was surrounded by 6 vampire spawn and going down fast. A giant ape on the side of the towers above Castle Ravenloft battling a small horde of vampire spawn is friggin epic.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Next time your PCs have to take down a Mad Wizard(TM), afterwards let them into his library and peruse the tomes on the shelves.

"Strange Creatures of Monster Island", daily diary complete with sketches (but he can't draw very well !) and a page or so each of what it did during the fight before he / his party killed it.
MW had the character trait "Most people run away from monsters. I duck into a safe place and take notes." While researching him to find his weakness,* somebody who knew him should tell the PCs so, with repetition for emphasis. By coincidence, the Strange Creatures just happen to be a Giant Ape, T-Rex, Mammoth, &c.

* Are your PCs that organized and forethoughtful?

Scary

Explorer
In my own campaign, players can only polymorph others into beasts they have seen. As such, most exotic creatures, such as T-rexes, giant apes, and mammoths, are off the table.

This is for two reasons: (1) Balance. These beasts are VERY powerful. (2) Genre. I play traditional fantasy, and these beasts don't really exist in my world.

I'm curious, though, how other tables handle polymorph and exotic creatures.
I would handle it the same way if it ever comes up. Good to hear there is other people with common sense and understand how to keep things in control for the games fun.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using EN World mobile app

Corwin

Explorer
I would handle it the same way if it ever comes up. Good to hear there is other people with common sense and understand how to keep things in control for the games fun.
You have an appropriate moniker, IMO. Yikes.

Because lemme axe you something. Who's "common sense" are we talking about? What exactly needs to kept in "control"?

And while we're at it, here's another one: Who's "fun"? Games don't have fun. The people playing them do.

Scary

Explorer
You have an appropriate moniker, IMO. Yikes.

Because lemme axe you something. Who's "common sense" are we talking about? What exactly needs to kept in "control"?

And while we're at it, here's another one: Who's "fun"? Games don't have fun. The people playing them do.
Sorry, I made the comment here, should of been in a couple facebook groups.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads