OD&D Pop culture references in early editions?

Sprattoo

Fehu Games (Formerly Fail Squad Games)
The most pop culture thing I recall about Old School D&D is the 70's haircuts and fashion sprinkled into the art that was representing medieval fantasy. The clothes being some mash up of KISS, Bowie, and Queen costumes, feathered hair, and Heavy Metal artwork simulations.

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was great... but I knew that 70s hair and style didn't quite fit. The later editions featured solidly 80s perms and post-disco clothes.

Aldarc

Legend
Not D&D, but Michael Moorcock made several pop culture references in the Hawkmoon series, most notably Aral Vilsson as one of the gods of Granbretan ( Harold Wilson, Prime Minister of the late 60s/ early 70s for non-Brits)
The Granbretan gods before the Tragic Milennium included "Johne, Jhorg, Phowl, and Rhunga."

There are a lot of inside references (Vecna = Vance) and my favorite is probably the Vacuous Grimoire, which was a slam on the contemporaneous Arduin Grimoire. My favorite detail wasn't the loss of intelligence, it was that the book changed appearance to conform to the other books it was with. ;)
Which is admittedly a bit weird since basis for the Eye and Hand of Vecna were Moorcock's Corum books rather than Vance.

Turgenev

Hero
In the Dungeons & Dragons Monster & Treasure Assortment book (1977, 1978, 1980), Magneto's helmet shows up in treasure in the back cover image by Jeff Dee.

D&D-M&TA_Back.jpg

Cheers,
Tim

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
There are a lot of inside references (Vecna = Vance) and my favorite is probably the Vacuous Grimoire, which was a slam on the contemporaneous Arduin Grimoire. My favorite detail wasn't the loss of intelligence, it was that the book changed appearance to conform to the other books it was with. ;)

I think that the best way to show that ... maybe Gygax didn't have his finger on the pulse of pop culture in order to reference it was in Heward's Mystical Organ, which includes references to such "with it" songs from 1979 like ... Fly Me to the Moon and The Monster Mash.

Since those were released 1954 and 1962, that gives us some useful coordinates to, for example, check the Billboard hits.
I believe one of the early editions' boots of dancing (cursed item) says the wearer may heel and toe or shuffle off to Buffalo, which is from 1933.

Remove ads