• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PoPP: Souls For Smuggler's Shiv [01]

Rhun

First Post
Abraxis nods. "I agree. We should gather the gear and head south to the stream. Once we have fresh water, we can work on finding food and shelter."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Leaf just grunts as he will once again have to "gear up". After he loads as much as he can carry he just nods. "Ready," he says.

[sblock=OOC] Don't know if we need a marching order but those loaded down should be in the middle I think.[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Leaf shoulders the bulk of the gear found on the Jenivere, Abraxis rounds up the other castaways, and Lerissa and Auron consult the map found in the Captain's papers. Once you've established a basic direction, the group sets out wearily in search of the nearest marked river and, hopefully, a sheltered place to establish a base camp. The afternoon sun beats down mercilessly on the canopy, quickly heating the muggy air underneath to near unbearable temperatures. The terrain is very rugged, limiting your progress to about a mile every two hours and making it difficult to keep your bearings. To top it all off, biting flies and gnats are making a merry feast of your blood.

About mid-afternoon, a torrential rain begins thundering down, bringing the heat down to a more bearable level but making it quite difficult to see and hear.

The other castaways are quickly broken down by the heat, slowing your progress even further - only Gelik and Sasha are able to press on even at your crawling pace.

[sblock=OOC (All)]I'll need you each to make a Fortitude Save (everyone except Abraxis will be at -4) to resist becoming fatigued from traveling in the heat.

It will take you about 5 hours to find the river, putting you there early evening. I'll need Survival checks once you're there to locate a suitable site for a base camp and to get it set up. (One check for each of you will serve for both finding the site and setting up the camp - let me know which one of you is actually making the check; the others' Survival rolls will be 'Aid Anothers.'[/sblock]

[sblock=Leaf]As you trudge through the heat and the subsequent rain, your mind falls into the endless routing of placing one foot in front of the other. Outside distractions are tuned out, and you recall a bit of sailor's lore about the island that the map indicates you've landed on:

Smuggler’s Shiv is a notorious island north of Eleder. It’s not shown on most maps, but is rightfully feared by those who ply the waters of Desperation Bay. The island is named not only for the knife-like shape of its coastline, but for its uncanny habit of wrecking ships that draw too near—mostly smugglers eager to avoid detection by Sargava’s navy.[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
As they walk Leaf seems unaffected by the heat of the jungle like island. Perhaps it's because he is ignoring it to work something out in his head. The bugs truly pain him like everyone else, but when they are washed away by the rain he again can concentrate on the glimpse off the map he saw and the name listed for the island.

Hours go by and the group starts looking more for a good place to set a base came and are concerned less for moving much further. While looking Leaf suddenly cries out. "Aha! I remember!" he says aloud to anyone who will listen.

"Smuggler's Shiv it is in Desperation Bay,"
Leaf says and catching a few perplexed looks he adds. "Desperation Bay is were Eleder makes it's port o' call. We were bound for Eleder and if we can find a way off this island we can still complete are mission." Leaf says a small smile on his face as he realizes the fact that the group is not in as dire straits as they could be.

[sblock=OOC]I say who every has the highest total roll the Survival the rest aid. And in case of a tie use higher stat.[/sblock]

Leaf

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
Abraxis marches along quietly, keenly feeling the effects of the heat and oppressive mugginess in the air. And his knowledge of the jungle wasn't enough to help his companions, either. So the aasimar struggles along, quietly enduring the trials of their hike.

mleibrock

First Post
Lerissa

Leaf shoulders the bulk of the gear found on the Jenivere, Abraxis rounds up the other castaways, and Lerissa and Auron consult the map found in the Captain's papers. Once you've established a basic direction, the group sets out wearily in search of the nearest marked river and, hopefully, a sheltered place to establish a base camp. The afternoon sun beats down mercilessly on the canopy, quickly heating the muggy air underneath to near unbearable temperatures. The terrain is very rugged, limiting your progress to about a mile every two hours and making it difficult to keep your bearings. To top it all off, biting flies and gnats are making a merry feast of your blood.

About mid-afternoon, a torrential rain begins thundering down, bringing the heat down to a more bearable level but making it quite difficult to see and hear.

The other castaways are quickly broken down by the heat, slowing your progress even further - only Gelik and Sasha are able to press on even at your crawling pace.

[sblock=OOC (All)]I'll need you each to make a Fortitude Save (everyone except Abraxis will be at -4) to resist becoming fatigued from traveling in the heat.

It will take you about 5 hours to find the river, putting you there early evening. I'll need Survival checks once you're there to locate a suitable site for a base camp and to get it set up. (One check for each of you will serve for both finding the site and setting up the camp - let me know which one of you is actually making the check; the others' Survival rolls will be 'Aid Anothers.'[/sblock]

[sblock=Leaf]As you trudge through the heat and the subsequent rain, your mind falls into the endless routing of placing one foot in front of the other. Outside distractions are tuned out, and you recall a bit of sailor's lore about the island that the map indicates you've landed on:

Smuggler’s Shiv is a notorious island north of Eleder. It’s not shown on most maps, but is rightfully feared by those who ply the waters of Desperation Bay. The island is named not only for the knife-like shape of its coastline, but for its uncanny habit of wrecking ships that draw too near—mostly smugglers eager to avoid detection by Sargava’s navy.[/sblock]

Displaying surprising sympathy, Lerissa calls for a break when those of the group that are having a tough time keeping up begin to falter. She takes some mud and smears it on exposed skin of those that are not able to go on any further. If they need further rest, she will offer to stay while the others move on to the river (if the others want to press on). As she smears the mud onto their skin she says, "I know this is hard and not what any of us envisioned when we boarded but we will need all of your talents if we are to get through this. This mud should help keep the biting bugs off our skin and once we make it to the river, we can take a nice freshwater bath. I don't think we have much further to go."

[sblock=Mike]Lerissa is working hard to keep the other's spirits up and hopefully have them begin to trust us. She should be pretty good at faking such things as this is what she does. :) [/sblock]

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
OOC: He is. I just PM'd him this morning - somehow this thread slipped off his subscription list. He's probably catching up on the reading before making a post.

renau1g

First Post
Auron has not said a word in some time, his stare blank as he follows the others orders and suggestions with little comment other than a grunt in the affirmative, or nod of acknowledgment. The large man bears his share of the gear, and moves with the others. Whatever is affecting the man also seems to be protecting him from the heat and other hazards of the jungle. Sweat pours down. even into his unblinking eyes, but Auron marches on without showing and signs of distress.

At the sight of the river ahead Auron stops abruptly, he shakes his head and the large man blinks quickly a few times. He looks at his allies "Uh...sorry about that. I was attempting to contact the spirits to see if there was any friendly locals, but I was stuck for longer in their world than I would have liked. This place is a dangerous place. Ok, so have any of you spent time out in the wilds? If not, follow my lead. My people spend much time on the hunt and I'll see what I can do to help find the best location" Auron says.

[sblock=ooc]
fort. survival (1d20+4-4=15, 1d20+6=18) [/sblock]

Remove ads