Populating a Monastery

dcas

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
Agriculturally, the Cistercians in particular are reknown for beers, wines, liquors, and cheeses. A jolly, rosy-cheeked brewmeister would not be out of place.
Indeedy, it is Cistercians of the Strict Observance (Trappists) who have brought us Chimay and Orval, among others.

I would imagine that a monastery would be populated mostly by . . . monks. Some will be lay brothers and some will be priests. I would not expect to see experts, warriors, or commoners on the monastery grounds unless perhaps the monastery is known for hospitality and the experts, warriors, and commoners are on retreat or are passing through on their way somewhere else. In other words, they would be transients and not permanent residents. English monasteries would be notable for their hospitality . . . in pre-Reformation England inns were unknown because travelers could lodge at monasteries instead.

Of course the monks themselves could be experts on any number of topics, even if they are not necessarily related to the work they do in the cloister.

There is a fascinating portrait of a monastery in Walter Miller's A Canticle for Leibowitz in which the monks' main task is to preserve scientific knowledge.

Conaill

First Post
Tamlyn said:
Then the idiot doesn't have to be mentally slow. Maybe just suffered some accident and has his/her full mental accuity but has no way to communicate effectively.
Idiots are also good candidates for rambling insane prophecies, of course. ;)

Dannyalcatraz said:
Viva la Chimay!
Try some Westmalle triple, if you can find it. Chimay is so mainstream.

- Belgian expatriat

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, I like my Chimay...and I also drink things like Dragon Stout (Jamaican) when I can find it...so I'm up for adventure!

Tell me, Mon Ami Belgique...how do you describe Westmalle triple as compared to others from the region? Is it another darkish beer like Chimay, or is it lighter like Maredsous 10?

hagor

First Post
First of all, I'll second the suggestions to look more closely into "the Name of the Rose (see Kid Charlemagne's post) and especially into the Cadfael mysteries (see Templetroll's post). The latter will give you some information about the area around the monastery and the interaction between the monastery and the town as well.

Secondly, as a Belgian, I am pleased to see that the ENWorlders know and appreciate a good beer, and (what's more important) are aware that some of the best brands come from Belgium! (You may also want to try one of the Rochefort Trappists, if you can find them of when you're coming to Belgium).

Here you'll find more info on the Westmalle Tripel (and some more searching at the site will give more info on monasteries as well).

Hagor

dcas

First Post
I've had Roquefort (just the 10° I think), Chimay, Orval, Westmalle, and La Trappe (which I understand isn't a Trappist beer any more). Chimay Triple is probably my favorite, but I can't make a fair comparison as I haven't had any of the others on tap! Roquefort and Orval are also very good; I didn't like La Trappe at all and I didn't think Westmalle was anything special (sorry - perhaps I should try it again). I haven't had Achel or Westvleteren (which is hard to get in the U.S.) yet.

I believe the Trappists (Cistercians of the Strict Observance -- they are called "Trappists" because this branch of the order was founded at La Trappe!) are also vegetarians. They drink their own beer (the monks at Scourmont, where Chimay is brewed, drink a variety lower in alcohol than the stuff sold here in the U.S.), but I don't believe they eat their own cheese (they don't at Gesthemani here in the U.S., unless they're in the infirmary!). The reason that monasteries produce things like beer, chocolate, fruitcake, and cheese is that -- according to the rule of St. Benedict -- they should be self-supporting, unlike the mendicant orders (like the Franciscans) which are dependent on alms.

Conaill

First Post
Just to clarify - most trappist brands these day come in a "dubbel" and "tripel". The dubbel is typically a dark ale or stout, whereas the tripel is typically an amber ale (and stronger than the dubbel).

In my younger days in Belgium, I worked my way through the entire trappist menu in my favorite 400+ beer pub, and eventually settled on the Westmalle Tripel as my favorite. I'm an amber ale kinda guy though. If you're into the dark beers, you'll have to do your own experimenting. Yeah, I know - hard job! ;)

dcas

First Post
Conaill said:
Just to clarify - most trappist brands these day come in a "dubbel" and "tripel". The dubbel is typically a dark ale or stout, whereas the tripel is typically an amber ale (and stronger than the dubbel).

Doesn't La Trappe have a "quadrupel"?

Conaill

First Post
There's a couple of quadrupels out there, actually. I think they are a fairly recent development though. Heck, the "tripel" name stems from the 30's, although the abbeys have always had specialty beers for festive occasions.

By the way, Wikipedia has a nice set of pages on trappist beer.

Remove ads