Possible broken class/PrC combination

nute

Explorer
Being that it's INSANELY easy to qualify for, the Forsaker class is horribly powerful, especially given that the only requirement to maintain it is the denial of all magic and magical items, magical healing, etc.

However - does this cover psionics? Would a Psion/Forsaker class not be horrendously vicious, especially with that +1 attribute boost PER LEVEL that the Forsaker gets? Boost that psion key ability, and vanquish ANYTHING that gets in your way!

~M.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Psionics are spell-like abilities. Even if you're using the "psionics are different" option, psionics are barred from the class as well.

A lot of folks seem to think that forsakers make better NPCs than PCs. I tend to agree; in high-level campaigns, they can really hamstring a party's flexibility for long-range travel.

I'll slide this over to Rules!

takyris

First Post
Plus, if you're the DM and the player seems to be intent on messing up the experience of the game by going Forsaker despite the protests of the rest of the high-magic party, feel free to have the Forsaker get attacked by wraiths.

Permanent Con damage, baby. And no Restoration to get rid of it.

They're astonishingly vulnerable as PCs. They don't get to fly, they don't get to teleport, and they don't get a lot of lifesaving stuff or repairing stuff. As NPCs, they're a great way to scare the snot out of spellcasters, but as PCs, anything that can fly can kill them without too much trouble.

-Tacky

reapersaurus

First Post
The Forsaker is one of the most perceived-as-strong (but in reality weak) classes in the game.

People don't realize how many ways to mess with a Forsaker can get around it's only benefit: the SR.

I formly believe it's so weak, it's veritably unplayable.
Especially after being nerfed (AFAIK) recently.

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Forsakers are a cruddy and stupid class.

They're basically NPC only, because there's no way that a player would be able to continue to be one.

He'd be constantly losing all his class abilities, because he has no way of identifying magical items before he picks them up and uses them.

He can't keep up with the rest of the party in even the slightest manner.

His fast healing is pathetic when compared with something as simple as a wand of cure light wounds.

Don't bother with them. Play someone who distrusts magic, but sure as hell never play a forsaker.

Dash Dannigan

First Post
I feel the need to comment with a quick question: What would a high-level PC spend all that money on?

Perhaps a stronghold? Coupled with a leadership feat or two, you quickly find yourself at the head of a rather large band of followers that worship the forsaker's philosophies, or at least the forsaker. Nothing says he can't have a caster as a follower, though the relationship would be unusual but entirely possible.

Besides, the PrC states that the Forsaker PC could have made war only against evil magics, disbdaining magic use for themselves to focus on their own natural abilities. The PrC does not force a philosophy onto the PC, it says just the opposite. That any philosophy may be employed here.

Spending all the loot on a powerbase instead of magic enhancements sounds like an interesting PC to play, cool. I may try that for my next character now that I think about it hmm...

In FACT why do I get the distinct image in my head of B.A. Baracus (Mr T!) as a barbarian forsaker and the party needs to teleport to a distant city....

"Hey fool, whatcha doin' there!"
"Nothing BA just ...."
-THUMP-
"There he's out, that sleep potion in his mug of ale worked like a charm."
"Heh, always does."

:D

Crothian

First Post
The Forsaker's a fine class, just not fit for all campaigns. I think it would make a great PC but the DM and other PCs have to be aware of what it is and it's abilities. A good group can work out the problems of this class and make it work.

Remove ads