• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Post-Campaign Exhaustion

AngryMojo

First Post
So, I finished a fairly long-running campaign tonight, and I'm noticing something that I haven't before.

I, personally, am exhausted. We wrapped up a long story, the good guys won (barely) and saved the world. I can barely think straight and feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders, and look forward to taking a break from GMing for a little.

My players, on the other hand, are completely psyched. About halfway through the last encounter with the big bad, they were hovering around each other and watching every dice roll, cheering when they went in favor of the PC's. None of them want to take a break at all, and one has even volunteered to run a game for a bit.

In retrospect, this is usually what happens when I finish a game. I had never noticed it before, but now that I think about it, it's usually how it goes.

Have any of you had the same experiences? How does the ending of a campaign usually go in your groups?

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
"..and so the fireball blasts the warlord into ashes. The princess turns to you, and.."
"Right, that's it."
"Can I sleep on your couch? It's really late, and I'm beat."
"Me too."
"I'm getting a beer."
"You both want to sleep on our couch?"
"No."
"No."
"Wait, how much experience does that make?"
"Was it your house next week?"
"You're out of beer!"
"The princess does what? What's for loot?"
"We haven't decided yet. I'll call you."
"Besides, I said it first. I'm on the couch."
"There's more beer in the upstairs fridge."
"Roll you for it."
"It's two in the morning. What are they doing?"
"Gambling for our couch."
"Let's sort out the loot for the start of the next campaign. Ok?"
"I'm off, see you next week."
"Did you say they can sleep here?"
"Bye, bye!"
"We're going to catch the last bus!"
"No. I didn't."
"Bye!"
"I rolled three fours."
"There's no beer upstairs either! Hey, goodbye you guys!"
"Yeah, see ya! Really, nothing?"
"Is someone going to help me clear this stuff away?"
"I got six twice, and a one."
"Just leave it, we'll take care of it."
"Has anyone seen my lucky dice?"
"Two times six wins. My couch."
"Wake up! I think my dice were on that lounger!"
"Uhh..What?"
"No they don't. Three fours are clearly superior."
"Did we really drink all of the beer? Anyway, I better start going too."
"How long have I been sleeping?"
"Ok, next week?"
"But I got a one too. That's thirteen against twelve."
"Two minutes? I don't know. I wasn't paying attention. Move, please."
"I'll try. Busy week."
"Fine. I'll take the futon."
"They're not listening, are they?"
"I'm going upstairs. You coming?"
"I knew the dice were there. I'm off. Might still make it to that bus."
"Well, hurry. And remember your shoes."
"Oh, right."
"Bye!"
"'Till tomorrow!"
"Roll for the tv remote?"

Yeah, you know, I'm not really sure if we have the time to be tired. The next morning, though.. :blush:

arthurhoneyhill

First Post
At the end of our last campaign (I was the DM), which was also the first campaign that had a "real" ending, we were so rushed. We had already been talking about what we were going to do next, so the players' minds were already set on the future. We rushed through the final dungeon and they just teleported up to the top and killed the BBEG no sweat, and rushed me through my dramatic explosion description. We were all so sick and tired of the demon drama that we just wanted to take a nap.

Nagol

Unimportant
"You know I've been running this D&D game for over 6 years???"

"Yeah, it's been a lot of fun! It's getting bogged down now though. It's going to take a lot of effort to dig through that last avalanche of consequences that caught up to us."

"Hey I know! I've been thinking of running a Traveler-esque game for a while now. It would give the DM a chance to recharge. I'll put together some starting rules for next session if everybody wants to try it."

"Great!"

Qualidar

First Post
I'll know tomorrow: we'll be finishing up our Shackled City campaign.

I can report on how I feel 24 hours in advance, however: at this point I'm looking forward to starting the next campaign (Legacy of Fire) and looking forward to leaving the Spell Compendium, action points and high-level 3.5 behind. Aside from this final adventure, high-level D&D's been a bit of a slog, unfortunately. I expect that my players will feel a sense of accomplishment, but as much as from enduring the adventure path as completing it. Lessons learned: the next one will be far better.

It's completely normal for someone(s) involved in a creative endeavor to feel exhausted and spent when the endeavor ends.

Google post-performance depression.

scourger

Explorer
It depends on the game for me. The last time I ran D&D, I developed a protocol. My preparation work had to be done the weekend beforehand. The night before, I had to go to bed early. A nap after work (5) & before the game (7:30) really helped. I had to eat a good meal before and remember to drink plenty of water during the game. I even set a timer to sound every 15 minutes in game to remind me to drink water. And we quit realtive early--around 10. If I didn't do those things, especially the water, I felt bad the next day. Another player/DM in our group recently described it as the "D&D hangover." So, I can compeltely understand the exhaustion at the end of a campaign.

Other games don't have that same level of intensity. Savage Worlds never gives me a hangover. I am also running a D&D minis skirmish campaign that doesn't have the same effect. I expect that I will finish that campaign this coming week without exhaustion. I think it is because it so much easier to run those game mechanically, and there is much (much) less preparation work.

coyote6

Adventurer
I was burned out on D&D when I finished the campaign last year.

I just started running Pathfinder today, so apparently I got over it.

Qualidar

First Post
Well, I finished tonight, and I'm not sure I feel a sense of accomplishment or a sense of disappointment. I'm definitely glad that the final opponent was an entertaining and challenging battle that was only bested through the player's being smart and competent. I think we ended on a high note, which was nice. :)

I definitely feel lucky to have my players: in honor of finishing the campaign they all chipped in and got me a t-shirt with the names of all the characters, cohorts, animal companions, major NPCs and places in the campaign, and "Shackled City; 2005 - 2010" on it. I have great players. :D

Remove ads