D&D 5E Post some pictures that say D&D to you

Libramarian

Adventurer
Art Director Jon Schindehette is asking for visual representations of the "essence" of D&D over here: http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dreye/20121212

I am a big fan of Justin Sweet, who did some of the character portraits for the Icewind Dale I/II computer games, as well as the cover for the 3e book Magic of Faerun.

007_WHTDRAGN.jpg

I like how it's grimy and bloody, but also kind of smudgy and dreamlike. Most D&D art is too clean and bright. I want more darkness, more chiaroscuro. I want some scenes that actually look like they're lit by torch or candlelight.
Wright_of_Derby%2C_The_Orrery.jpg

I also really like this cover of Gene Wolfe's Shadow & Claw.
Wolfe_shadow_%26_claw.jpg

If I had my way the AD&D reprints would look more like that, black with a streak of red, rather than brown faux-leather, which doesn't really feel like AD&D at all. Although I can see how someone would think it would.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I tried to do what Jon suggested in the article...the whole "going back in my mind and time to that place that was the essence ofD&D [to me]."

Somehow, this is what I got...
ah02.jpg

page45_2.png
minoan-snake-goddess.jpg
DP118991.jpg

tumblr_m71kr7HwjK1qfcn4bo1_500.jpg
dulac_fairyland.jpg
003.jpg
edward-robert-hughes-midsummer-eve.jpg

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
You can now Copy/Paste!!! Woohoo! At least, that's what I did and it let me.

Right click on the image you want (won't work with Ctl C). Click "Copy Image". Then come to the thread/post and Ctl. V (which does work!). That's how mine got in here. MUCH more convenient.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Lucifer and his followers being cast out of heaven. Falling from grace is a recurring theme in every D&D campaign I've ever read about or been involved in.

RH-LuciferCastOut1.jpg

The pilgrims landing at Plymouth Rock. The challenge to survive and prosper in semi-hospitable environments. Exploration of new lands.

ART114213.jpg

Solomon & Sheba. Pomp, royalty, and rulership are the third strand that defines D&D for me. Responsibility for realm-changing outcomes. Choosing wisely vs. choosing unwisely.

sheba.jpg

Last edited:

Remove ads