Post Your House Rules

Eldragon

First Post
I love these kinds of threads. Gives me a chance to refine my own house rules sheet. That rule about the bonus XP for item creation feats is great.

(Uses 3.5)

1 - Use the 3.0 rules for the following spells: Shield (+ minor changes), Sleep, Jump, Keen Edge.

2 - Instant Travel spells (e.g. Teleport, Dimensional Door) allow the teleportation of unwilling creatures. The caster must succeed at a grappel check, THEN cast the spell in order to teleport an unwilling creature. Hilarious Results will certainly ensure.

3 - Victims of Hold Person and Hold Monster cannot be damaged and cannot be the target of spells while held (Dispel Magic is an exception). Held creatures get saving throws every round after being held for 5 rounds.

4 - Buff spells last 10 Min/Lvl

5 - Toughness adds 2x Con bonus to Hit points, minimum of 5 HP.

6 - Darkness lasts 1 Min/lvl, The covered area is pitch black.

7 - Rangers get favored terrain (a la Unearthed Arcana).

8 - Many, MANY banned books, spells, and feats.

A lot of my house rules are setting-specific things, like alternate spellcasting classes to represent different traditions, and revisions of a few of the races. But I do have some generic house rules that I would probably suggest regardless of setting.

Hit Points and Wound Points
Hit Points heal at a rate of 1 per level per hour. In addition to your hit points (HP), you have Wound Points (WP) equal to your Constitution, or 3/4 your Con for small races. If you are out of HP, further damage goes to your WP. If you have any damage to WP, you take a -4 penalty to Strength and Dexterity, and each round you need to make a Fort save (DC 20) to avoid taking a point of damage from bleeding and such. If you beat DC 25 (or receive a Heal check DC 15, or get at least 1 WP of magical healing) you stabilize.

When you hit 0 WP, you pass out, and take 1 point of damage per round, with no save, and no chance to stabilize naturally. At -10 WP, you die.

WP heal at a rate of 1 per day. Magical healing cures 1 WP for each die of healing, so cure moderate heals 2 WP, in addition to 2d8+level HP.

For larger creatures, I've got it all figured out how to deal with it, but it's usually only an issue for PCs, since most badguys die, and it doesn't matter what their WP is. Note that most people, when they run out of WP, fall down and try not to bleed to death, rather than keeping on fighting. Thus, cleaving pretty much works the same way. Sure, a Goblin has an extra 5 WP beyond its HP, but it'll be 'dropped' for the sake of Cleave when it runs out of HP.

This does make PCs a bit tougher, while also making a dying speech possible, if there's no healing magic available.

Languages
I like languages, and I think just handwaving them away with tongues ruins a lot of potential for mystery and the exotic appeal of travel. Everyone starts with 3 ranks in their native language. Each rank in a language costs 1 skill point, regardless of class.

0 ranks - Practically a non-speaker. You might know one or two expressions if your character has expressed interest (e.g., one PC learned how to say, "Don't eat me," in draconic). Takes a -15 penalty to language-based skill checks.
1 ranks - Beginning student. Takes a -10 penalty to language-based skill checks. Simple sentences only, fluent enough to get around.
2 ranks - Fluent enough to hold normal conversations, but not a firm grasp on colloquialisms, idioms, poetry, etc. Takes -5 penalty to language-based skill checks.
3 ranks - Fluency of a normal person in that society.
4 ranks - Scholar-level knowledge. No bonuses, just props for being a cunning linguist.

Skills
Pick two skills that fit your character's backstory or personality. These are always class skills.

At first level, you get a number of bonus skill points equal to 6 + your intelligence modifier. These can only be spent on flavor skills, like Craft, Profession, and languages.

Classes
Multiclass all you want. I don't care for the favored multiclass rule.

Armor Proficiencies - You do not get medium or heavy armor proficiency automatically at 1st level. You must have at least two levels of a class that would normally provide medium armor to get that proficiency, and three levels of an appropriate class for heavy armor proficiency. This helps discourage dipping into Fighter for armor feats, and lets me have this next house rule. Of course, you can always just spend feats to get armor proficiency, if you're in a rush.

Armored Casting - Armor does not interfere with spellcasting at all.

Light Fighter - The light fighter is for folks who want a more nimble, duelisty kinda warrior. He gives up medium and heavy armor proficiency, but gets 4 skill points per level, and has Bluff, Sense Motive, and Tumble as extra class skill. You can't multiclass between normal and light fighter. Just pick one and stick to it.

Druids - Not all druids are Celtic-esque moon-worshippers, nor are they metal haters. They're just nature priests. They get light armor proficiency and simple weapon proficiency.

Stat Generation
Roll 2d46, drop the six lowest and assign three to each stat, in any order.

Action Points
At each level you get (5 + 1/2 your level) action points. You can spend an action point to add +1d6 to any d20 roll, after you roll the die, but before you know whether you succeed.

Ibram

First Post
Lets see... working backwards from the front of my D&D folder

1) variant forms of all the PC races, Orcs are allowed as a PC race.
2) class changes: every class gets to chose their class skills, in addition to getting two extra class skills (these skills are chosen when the first level of a class is taken and can never be changed).
3) Clerics are banned from the game, replaces with my own class called the Mystic, Sorcerers are flat out banned. Rangers no longer get spells, but instead have a list of bonus feats.
4) No Pokemounts (one of the stupidist things in 3.5) and Palidans lose immunity to fear (but gain +4 to all saves vs. fear)
5) PHB Barbarian is renamed the Berserkter, the Barbarian class from Conan d20 has been added.
6) armor acts as damage reduction, characters have a level based AC.
7) Weapons Finesse is a rule, not a feat (any character with a finesse weapon can use their dex to attack)
7) a massive list of custom made feats, encluding one that allows the quarterstaff to be used as a reach weapon.
8) banned the spells: Summon Monster, Plane Shift, Rase Dead/Resurection/True Resurection.

shoes

First Post
Ibram said:
Lets see... working backwards from the front of my D&D folder

1) variant forms of all the PC races, Orcs are allowed as a PC race.
2) class changes: every class gets to chose their class skills, in addition to getting two extra class skills (these skills are chosen when the first level of a class is taken and can never be changed).
3) Clerics are banned from the game, replaces with my own class called the Mystic, Sorcerers are flat out banned. Rangers no longer get spells, but instead have a list of bonus feats.

I would like to see some the changes you did to your classes and races, if you don't mind. Sounds a little cool seeing I'm adding my own variant races and classes as such.

4) No Pokemounts (one of the stupidist things in 3.5) and Palidans lose immunity to fear (but gain +4 to all saves vs. fear)
5) PHB Barbarian is renamed the Berserkter, the Barbarian class from Conan d20 has been added.
6) armor acts as damage reduction, characters have a level based AC.
7) Weapons Finesse is a rule, not a feat (any character with a finesse weapon can use their dex to attack)
7) a massive list of custom made feats, encluding one that allows the quarterstaff to be used as a reach weapon.

I see you too have the Conan the Rpg d20 sourcebook too! :D

8) banned the spells: Summon Monster, Plane Shift, Rase Dead/Resurection/True Resurection.

Why is that?

Ibram

First Post
shoes said:
I would like to see some the changes you did to your classes and races, if you don't mind. Sounds a little cool seeing I'm adding my own variant races and classes as such.

See below

shoes said:
I see you too have the Conan the Rpg d20 sourcebook too! :D

and the Scrolls of Skellos, perhapse the best d20 books out today

shoes said:
Why is that?

summon monster wasn't originaly banned, my regular players and i have an agreement not to use them (both because it makes combat more complicated, and it doest quite fit the feel of my home-brew world)

Planeshift was also banned for setting reasons (the magic to cross the barrier between worlds can only be accomplished with terrible magics that are far beyond the mortal races (read PC races)

Rase Dead and its ilk were banned for a wide variety of reasons, but basicly if you saw the episode of Buffy: the vampire slayer where she comes back from the dead then you will understand why.

CombatWombat51

First Post
For my campaign with my advanced players we use a good sized book of my creation, and the 3 core books. Nothing else.

In a campaign that didn't use my standard players, I'd just play with the RAW to avoid confusion and hurting the feelings of people that have spent their money on various supplements. It's a game after all, and they spent that cash to have fun.

My own little book is 63 pages with a table of contents, index, the whole shabang :D I'd share it, but it's not a valid file type :( Anyhow, it's pretty beafy. Here's a bit:

Table of Contents

Ability Scores 2
Races 3-4
Classes 5-10
Skills 11
Feats 12-18
Equipment 19-20
Combat 21-22
Gods 23-24
Domains 25-28
Spells 29-40
Prestige Classes 41-63

Index

Acrobat 41-42
Ability Scores 2
Archer 42-43
Armor 20
Barbarian 5
Bard 5
Battle Mage 44
Berserker 44-45
Cavalier 45-46
Centaur 3
Classes 5
Cleric 5
Combat 21
Commander 46-47
Critical Fumbles 21
Damage Reduction 20
Defense 21
Deities 23-24
Domains 25-28
Druid 5
Dual Wielder 47-48
Duelist 48-49
Elf 3-6
Equipment 19
Exceptional Clothing 20
Falling 21
Favored Classes 3
Feats 12-18
Female characters 2
Fighter 5-6
Fighting Defensively 21
Full Defense 21
Fumbles 21
Gallant 49-51
Gambling 21
Gods 23-24
Grim 51-52
Grizzled Veteran 52
Healing 22
Helmets 20
Hit Points 21
Human 3
Juggernaut 52-53
Kneeling 22
Knight 53-55
Language 17
Man Hunter 55
Masterwork Items 20
Medium Progression 21
Monk 6-8
Paladin 8, 56-57
Priest 5-6
Races 3
Recovering Damage 22
Religion 23-24
Seductress 57-58
Shields 20
Silken Dancer 58-60
Sitting 22
Size 22
Skills 11
Sniper 60-61
Sorcerer 8
Spells 29-40
Street Fighter 61-62
Tiefling 4
Wealth 19
Weapons 19-20
Wizard 8-10
Wrestler 62-63

Eye Tyrant

First Post
Again, I am seeing some pretty cools ideas...

For the record, I am currently only allowing published 3.5 material, of which I only own the core books. I did just pick up Underdark, but that is primarily a DM tool for me to use in crafting my own version of The Night Below. I have looked over the Complete Warrior and will probably pick this up as well.

My short list of house rules/variants is:

A VERY generous stat generation of 5d6, re-roll all 1's, take the highest 3 (to keep my whining players happy. Surprisingly the scores aren't as out of control as you might think. Plus we started this group at 10th level).

DM rolls all pertinent skill checks (Bluff, Diplomacy, Search, Hide, Move Silently, Use Rope, Spot, and Listen). Failed Searches do not automatically set off traps unless logic dictates otherwise (ie. pit traps).

No multiclass penalties (I've always disagreed with that).

Variant: Automatic hits/misses - a 1 always fails/misses and a 20 always succeeds/hits.

Debating the Clobbered variant.

HR/Variant: Critical Misses (Fumbles) - Currently a Fumble results in normal damage to the fumbler AND dropping the weapon.

Off the top of my head that's all I can remember right now.

Ibram

First Post
the mystic class (aka the fixed cleric)
Mystic
Description: The Mystic is one who calls on powerful beings to perform wondrous actions. Some Mystics are rewarded for their faith with holy or unholy power. Others make bargains with ancient entities. Some seek out such power and others have such power thrust upon them. Regardless of the source or reason behind their power Mystics are feared and respected across the land.
Alignment: Any
Abilities: Wisdom is the most important (it influence spells), Charisma is also important.
Hit Dice: d8
Class skills: 16
Skill Points at first level: (8+Int) x4
Skill Points at each additional level: 8+Int

BaB and Saves as cleric

Class Features
Weapons and Armor Proficiency: Proficient with all simple weapons and light armor
Spells: Mystics must learn the spells they are to cast, once a spell is learned then the mystic may prepare the spell during their daily meditations. In order to learn a spell a mystic must have a wisdom score equal to 10 + the level of the spell to be learned. A mystic automatically learns his or her domain spells when he reaches the appropriate level (assuming that he has a high enough wisdom score).
Spontaneous Casting: As Cleric
Domains: At first level Mystics have access to one domain, determined by their deity and alignment. Upon reaching 12th level they gain a second domain.
Turn/Rebuke Undead: As cleric
Bonus Feats: Any item creation, meta-magic, and spell focus at levels 5, 10, 15, 20.

basaipete

Explorer
CombatWombat51 said:
For my campaign with my advanced players we use a good sized book of my creation, and the 3 core books. Nothing else.
<snip>
My own little book is 63 pages with a table of contents, index, the whole shabang :D I'd share it, but it's not a valid file type :( Anyhow, it's pretty beafy. Here's a bit:

CombatWombat51,
I would love to see what you have done. I am working on something similar and am currently up around 75 pages but I am always interested in seeing what others have done. What is the file type?

Before anyone comments on 75 pages being way to many house rules, I agree. The vast majority of the book is setting information, history, and home brew gods. The actual house rules only take up couple of pages.

Needless to say, I would be happy to share mine with anyone who asks (and promises not to turn me in for the rampant plagarism and copywrite infringment as I have stolen from so many other settings and stories that it gets silly some times ;-) ).

Pete

CombatWombat51

First Post
basaipete said:
CombatWombat51,
I would love to see what you have done. I am working on something similar and am currently up around 75 pages but I am always interested in seeing what others have done. What is the file type?

Before anyone comments on 75 pages being way to many house rules, I agree. The vast majority of the book is setting information, history, and home brew gods. The actual house rules only take up couple of pages.

Needless to say, I would be happy to share mine with anyone who asks (and promises not to turn me in for the rampant plagarism and copywrite infringment as I have stolen from so many other settings and stories that it gets silly some times ;-) ).

Pete

My copy is a .wps, that's a MS Word Processor, not a good ol' Word file. If you want me to email it, I can. Oh, and if you can't read that format, I can put into WordPad, although the formatting will be a teeny bit off, and the ToC and index won't be right.

Thanks for the interest! I'll email it to anyone else interested, too. Just drop me an email at combatwombat51@hotmail.com, and specify which format you'd like.

Remove ads