• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [PotA] Cult symbols in Halls of the Hunting Axe

ymd.fallen

First Post
!!Spoiler alert for players of Princes of the Apocalypse!!

I'm running a table of Princes of the Apocalypse and my players are now close to being intoduced to the side trek "Halls of the Hunting Axe". While its overall story sounds quite interesting and fits well into the general story arch, there is one thing that I don't understand: in the Ancient Hall (X4, page 184) there are the symbols of the four elemental cults carved into the ceiling.
But why? Why would the Besilmer dwarves put them there? And even if they were added later on, why would they be necessary to get the dwarven machinery working? I don't find any answers in the book and google only gave me one other DM with the same problem and also no answers (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/3s1qyh/pota_whats_up_with_the_halls_of_the_hunting_axe/)...
Any ideas?

How about: the designer thought it was a cool thing to add to his adventure and didn't really think about the context and realmslore involved? It's no different from the whole concept of the "Adventurer's League" - just why would a group like the Emerald Enclave involve itself in the affairs of the North? Exactly.

-- George Krashos

ymd.fallen

First Post
Yeah, you're right, but I still need some idea about how to solve this problem... Maybe I just change the symbols to some dwarven writings or so...

ryan92084

Explorer
I don't recall the Howling hall lore (we haven't made it that far) but you could make the carvings relatively recent additions from when the hall was used as a neutral meeting ground for the cults at some point in the past.

jrowland

First Post
The dwarves were aware of the elemental nodes. This is the way the dwarves entered the "temple" levels (they didn't think of them as temple levels). The tunnels to the surface sites (monastery/rivergard keep, etc) were added later, post Belsimer.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads