Power question: Everywhere and Nowhere

ZickZak

Explorer
Hi, I have a question to this power. When do I use the teleport? Seems like when the target makes an attack, I ll tepeort using free action, which can be taken on anothers turn, making me immune to being hit by that target if I am invisible, unless the enemy knows what square I port to.

Everywhere and Nowhere
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, whenever the target makes an attack while you are invisible to it, it takes 5 psychic damage and you may teleport 5 squares as a free action.

MwaO

Adventurer
RC page 195. It behaves as an immediate reaction in terms of timing - after the attack resolves. So enemy rolls to hit, sees if it hits or not, you take the effects, then it takes 5 psychic and you can then teleport.

RedSiegfried

First Post
And even if you teleport away while invisible, the target is still going to know which square you teleport to unless you do something to become hidden.

MwaO

Adventurer
And even if you teleport away while invisible, the target is still going to know which square you teleport to unless you do something to become hidden.

He could make a stealth check, but if he's only invisible to the target and there's someone else able to point out the square as a free action...

ZickZak

Explorer
Thanks for the answers.
I know he would know where I was, but that doesnt matter, if I teleport when he attacks, but before it lands.
If its timing is same as IR, then it doesnt work that way and is much less powerful.

MwaO

Adventurer
I think you teleport before the attack lands, since it's a free action teleport. Which makes this power incredibly powerful.

The only time that happens with free actions is when it would be required to function. As an example, if you have a free action +3 to hit from a power when you don't like the roll, it has to happen then, not after the trigger is resolved.

Aenghus

Explorer
The text suggests the power is triggered by the target making an attack, any attack. It doesn't specify "an attack on the caster" for instance. My interpretation would be that the caster can teleport in response to any attack by the target before it resolves, and would suffer the 5 psychic damage. If the target can discern the new location of the caster and their attack can reach they could still attack (typically with the standard -5 penalty for invisible target).

My interpretation is that the effect triggers on every attack by the victim, who may well be tempted to attack PCs who are not invisible. Once they make their save the effect no longer applies unless the sorceror has other invisibility powers.

4e Sorcerors are kinda squishy unless con secondary, I don't see an issue with a daily power with some built in defence.

MwaO

Adventurer
The text suggests the power is triggered by the target making an attack, any attack. It doesn't specify "an attack on the caster" for instance. My interpretation would be that the caster can teleport in response to any attack by the target before it resolves, and would suffer the 5 psychic damage.

Please read rules compendium page 197 under 'Other Triggered Effects'...This is not an area really open to interpretation unless you think an immediate reaction can do the same thing. Which basically makes most immediate reactions into immediate interrupts.

Aenghus

Explorer
Please read rules compendium page 197 under 'Other Triggered Effects'...This is not an area really open to interpretation unless you think an immediate reaction can do the same thing. Which basically makes most immediate reactions into immediate interrupts.

I'm interpreting it as intending to allow the caster to avoid attacks, and in this specific case working before the resolution of the attack. If it makes you feel better assume I'm using the named exception in that paragraph for my game. YMMV.

Remove ads