• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Power Sources

fnwc

Explorer
I've read a bit about Power Sources and seen them mentioned in the DDXP materials. Other than the nomenclature, has anyone seen any particular mechanical differences between the revealed Power Sources?

I can see how it's nice to have the distinction -- I can see some DM's putting in traps like:

Anti-Magic Field
Arcane powers cannot be used in this area of effect. Any ongoing effects from Arcane sources immediately end.

From the (very limited) information I've seen they only differ in flavor.

_sheepy_

First Post
No I haven't seen or heard of any mechanical differences.

I think such a trap will renders arcane caster useless for the encounter and, if so, goes against 4e philosophy. But, as usual, DM can rule whatever they want.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
fnwc said:
I've read a bit about Power Sources and seen them mentioned in the DDXP materials. Other than the nomenclature, has anyone seen any particular mechanical differences between the revealed Power Sources?

The main difference I've noticed so far is the implements. Martial Powers tend to use weapons, divine powers use holy symbols and arcane powers use wands. Other than that, the different power sources differ mostly in theme and the types of abilities they grant. Martial powers are all physical abilities, while arcane powers are supernatural.

fnwc said:
I can see how it's nice to have the distinction -- I can see some DM's putting in traps like:

Anti-Magic Field
Arcane powers cannot be used in this area of effect. Any ongoing effects from Arcane sources immediately end.

From the (very limited) information I've seen they only differ in flavor.

I really dislike this idea. Anti-magic fields existed in previous editions because magic was flat-out more powerful than anything else, so the counters against magic also were very powerful. Now, spells are no more powerful than martial abilities, so there's no good reason to screw over arcane casters like that. I don't see anyone suggesting that there should be anti-martial fields, so why should there be anti-arcane fields?

fnwc

Explorer
Falling Icicle said:
I don't see anyone suggesting that there should be anti-martial fields, so why should there be anti-arcane fields?
I'm not suggesting they should exist, despite my post. I'm merely showing an example of how the categorization of power sources might be used in a mechanical sense. I didn't really notice the other game mechanical difference between them, other than the implement/weapon/symbol type that you pointed out.

I knew as soon as I typed it up I would get responses about the anti-magic field, but oh well. :]

Nymrohd

First Post
Well any spell or effect that immobilizes a character but still lets him take mental actions restricts martial more than divine or arcane (and likely does not restrict psionic or shadow at all). While a null-magic field would certainly be against the design philosophy, we can still have dampening fields.

fnwc

Explorer
Falling Icicle said:
The main difference I've noticed so far is the implements. Martial Powers tend to use weapons, divine powers use holy symbols and arcane powers use wands. Other than that, the different power sources differ mostly in theme and the types of abilities they grant. Martial powers are all physical abilities, while arcane powers are supernatural.

The implements are different, that's true.

I'm looking to see if there are any baseline power differences in the future regarding power sources. Here's an off-the-cuff example (forgive the syntax):

Necrotic [Power Source]
Powers with Necrotic power sources can only be activated on the round or the round immediately after where a PC, NPC or monster dies within a burst of 3 of the activator.

hong

WotC's bitch
AFAICT, power sources are purely flavour right now. Although I could see something like a "mage hunter" feat chain that gives you bonuses against arcane characters, for example.

Danzauker

Adventurer
Falling Icicle said:
I really dislike this idea. Anti-magic fields existed in previous editions because magic was flat-out more powerful than anything else, so the counters against magic also were very powerful. Now, spells are no more powerful than martial abilities, so there's no good reason to screw over arcane casters like that. I don't see anyone suggesting that there should be anti-martial fields, so why should there be anti-arcane fields?

Well, I can easily imagine monsters and situations where martial powers will be partially or totally ineffective, such as ghosts and other incorporeal creatures (of course, just speculating, I don't actually know how they are handled in 4e).

And I can't imagine how teleport, plane traveling and such things to be achievable through "martial" powers.

So I think it is *possible* to have effects or conditions that make one particular power source ineffective.

Remove ads