Powered by Apocalypse

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
My D&D campaign has come to a satisfying end and now I'm in the market for a new game to run. Tell me about your favorite game using the Apocalypse Engine. I'm thinking about giving it a whirl.
Why are you thinking about giving it a whirl? What draws you to it? Why PbtA instead of say, Fate or Cortex or Fria Liga, or some other system?

hawkeyefan

Legend
I'm backing Galaxies in Peril too. I'm not familiar with the Blades system, so play testing has been an issue. The mentioned that they were going to add some content on the core rules to the play test documents, for those of us new to the system. Last I checked, they weren't there. What I've read sounds really interesting. I recommend taking WiP out for a spin while you wait. Both games look really well thought out. I'm excited to try Galaxies based on my love of Worlds.

FYI There is a free SRD of the Blades in the Dark rules, which may help. Here’s a link:

If you don’t know how play is meant to go, the Galaxies playtest material would be incomplete, at best. As much as it draws on the PbtA principles, the game plays pretty differently.

I wanted to give Worlds in Peril a try and then the Galaxies Kickstarter went live and my group has been playing a lot of Blades lately, so it seemed like the logical choice. We may try Worlds in Peril at some point. I’m glad to hear that it’s a solid game.

manduck

Explorer
FYI There is a free SRD of the Blades in the Dark rules, which may help. Here’s a link:

If you don’t know how play is meant to go, the Galaxies playtest material would be incomplete, at best. As much as it draws on the PbtA principles, the game plays pretty differently.

I wanted to give Worlds in Peril a try and then the Galaxies Kickstarter went live and my group has been playing a lot of Blades lately, so it seemed like the logical choice. We may try Worlds in Peril at some point. I’m glad to hear that it’s a solid game.
Awesome! Thanks for the link! My group has been really looking forward to this one. So we're all excited to try it out.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Thank you all, there's a hecka lot of good suggestions here, with enough detail to get into them. This has been a really informative thread so hat's off to you all.

MGibster

Legend
Why are you thinking about giving it a whirl? What draws you to it? Why PbtA instead of say, Fate or Cortex or Fria Liga, or some other system?
My gaming has moved to online only and it looks like it'll remain that way for many, many months to come. I am looking for a system that is relatively simple, doesn't require heavy use of tactical maps, and is inexpensive. Pendragon is another game I'm considering.

Aldarc

Legend
My gaming has moved to online only and it looks like it'll remain that way for many, many months to come. I am looking for a system that is relatively simple, doesn't require heavy use of tactical maps, and is inexpensive. Pendragon is another game I'm considering.
What genre would you prefer? Would you prefer D&D-esque fantasy?

manduck

Explorer
I'm open to genre. Right now I'm leaning towards Monster of the Week and The Sprawl.
Both are great games. The nice thing about both is that if your group needs something more episodic, both games can do it. It's built into Monster, of course. With The Sprawl, you can do different jobs. It's easy to lay an overarching story on top of the different jobs/monster hunts. So they are pretty versatile. Just depends on what type of story you're in the mood for.

Remove ads