• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Powers and Retraining

valeren

First Post
A question here regarding retraining powers.

Under Gaining Powers in p27 of the PHB, when gaining higher level encounter, daily or utility powers, the character can opt to learn a new encounter, daily or utility power of his level or lower.

Moreso, in p28 of the PHB it states that the character can replace a power with another power of the same type, of the same level or lower, and from the same class (not bringing into account multi-classing).

So my question is this: Does this mean that if my character picked a level 1 encounter power (lower than the available level 3 power) when he reaches level 3, he can only replace this power with a level 1 encounter power if he wants to retrain it at higher levels?

How would you guys treat this?

Thanks

Gloombunny

First Post
A tight-assed reading of the rules might prevent you from retraining the level 1 power you picked at level 3 into a level 3 power, but I certainly would let you retrain into the highest level of power you could have picked originally. The whole point of retraining is that making a bad decision doesn't mean you're stuck with it forever.

fba827

Adventurer
A tight-assed reading of the rules might prevent you from retraining the level 1 power you picked at level 3 into a level 3 power, but I certainly would let you retrain into the highest level of power you could have picked originally. The whole point of retraining is that making a bad decision doesn't mean you're stuck with it forever.

To save myself typing, I'll just say "what Gloombunny said" and leave it at that :)

Jhaelen

First Post
So my question is this: Does this mean that if my character picked a level 1 encounter power (lower than the available level 3 power) when he reaches level 3, he can only replace this power with a level 1 encounter power if he wants to retrain it at higher levels?
No. See gloombunny's explanation, IOW: thirded!

thundershot

Adventurer
I think the intention is to replace powers with better ones as you go up in level. So if you're in Paragon levels, you can start replacing your 1st or 3rd level powers with ones from the higher levels. Heck, the example with feats is that you can eventually replace all of your feats with Epic feats as long as you still qualify for them all.

Gloombunny

First Post
I think the intention is to replace powers with better ones as you go up in level. So if you're in Paragon levels, you can start replacing your 1st or 3rd level powers with ones from the higher levels. Heck, the example with feats is that you can eventually replace all of your feats with Epic feats as long as you still qualify for them all.
You can replace low-level powers with higher-level powers at a few specific levels, but this is actually a separate thing from retraining. Retraining powers just lets you change your mind about which one to pick, it doesn't let you make your character stronger by retraining to higher-level powers.

But you're right about feats - for some reason you can retrain feat selections into higher-tier feats. I dunno why they decided that.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Gloombunny's right - it was pointed out to me just now that I was misreading "the same level or lower" as "your same level or lower" -- the example however clarifies that they mean "the power's level," and not your level. So no swapping a 2nd level utility for a 22nd level, or such.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads