• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[PR] Sovereign Press to produce Dragonlance

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Sovereign Press: Margaret Weis & March 20, 2002 Don Perrin
Sovereign Press
c/o The Lazear Agency
612-332-8640
Wizards of the Coast: Don Williams
425-917-6122

Sovereign Press, owned by authors Margaret Weis and her husband, Don Perrin, is pleased to announce that it has acquired the rights to publish the Dragonlance campaign setting using the d20 rules published by Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Dragonlance mainstream campaign product, based on the Dungeons & Dragons rules, has not been published for over a decade. Fans have been eager for the game's return, and Sovereign Press is pleased to be able to accommodate them. Well-known in the industry as the publisher of the critically acclaimed Sovereign Stone d20 campaign world and the publisher of miniature historical wargaming rules, Sovereign Press plans to take Dragonlance into the future, the basis of which has been laid in the best-selling War of Souls novels by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. In addition, Sovereign Press also plans to delve back into Krynn's exciting past. The Dragonlance campaign world will use the d20 rules and be fully compatible with the latest edition of the Dungeons and Dragons game.
“I am so excited to be able to fulfill a dream that I have long held, which is to bring the Dragonlance game back to the fans who have been so loyal and supported the novel line so strongly over the years,” said Margaret Weis, CEO of Sovereign Press.
“With our experience and knowledge from d20 Sovereign Stone roleplaying products, we are positioned well to make excellent d20 Dragonlance products,” said Don Perrin, President of Sovereign Press. “Gamers everywhere will love this!”
”In the mid-80’s, Dragonlance launched the wonderful synergy between storytelling and roleplaying adventure,” states Mary Kirchoff, Vice President of Publishing for Wizards of the Coast. “Sovereign Press is uniquely suited to bring us back to our roots by publishing high-quality roleplaying materials for our loyal fans.”
The Dragonlance Core Rulebook is scheduled for a Fall 2002 release, with supplements starting thereafter.
Sovereign Press, Inc., a company privately owned by authors Margaret Weis and Don Perrin, publishes both roleplaying products and miniature historical wargaming rules. Sovereign Press is best known as the publisher of the Sovereign Stone campaign setting utilizing the d20 System, a product line closely tied to the best-selling Sovereign Stone novels by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Sovereign Press maintains its production facilities in Williams Bay, Wisconsin.
Wizards of the Coast Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. (NYSE:HAS), is the worldwide market share leader in the trading card game and tabletop role-playing game categories. Wizards of the Coast is a leading developer and publisher of game-based entertainment products as well as the owner and operator of one of the nation's largest specialty game retail chains. Wizards of the Coast is also one of the world's leading fantasy and science fiction book publishers and is a publisher of adventure games such as the classic Dungeons & Dragons games, family card and board games, and electronic media products. Headquartered near Seattle, Washington, Wizards of the Coast has international offices in Antwerp, Paris, Milan, London and Beijing.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Hmmm...

Dark Sun from AEG. Now, Dragonlance from Sovereign Press. I guess the classics never really do go out of style. Now if I can only get somebody to do Al-Quadim.

Lady Dragon

First Post
This is fantastic news just yesterday I said it would never happen i'm so glad i'm wrong.

The best news is that Margaret Weis is going to be the caretaker of this who better to leave it to.

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
Well hopefully they will go with whatever they feel best simulates the magic as it is in the books. No idea exactly what would do that, but it will be interesting to see.

Dahak

Explorer
kenjib said:
So, do you think they are going to use the Sovereign Stone magic system, the D&D magic system, or something new?

There's no reason that they couldn't use the standard magic system up through the end of the fourth age, and then use a variation of the Sovereign Stone system for magic of the fifth age/war of souls period (where magic is somewhat more freeform).

Ranger REG

Explorer
Lady Dragon said:
The best news is that Margaret Weis is going to be the caretaker of this who better to leave it to.
Tracy Hickman and his Dragonlance Nexus staff.

All in all, it's a win-win ... unless Ms. Weis has something against Tracy Hickman being involved in the project. That would be a bad business and PR move on Sovereign Press' part.

Dahak

Explorer
Ranger REG said:

Tracy Hickman and his Dragonlance Nexus staff.

Yes, another wonderful fan site that moved at a snails pace to decide on an official set of rules.

Bleh. Thank goodness it's in the hands of an established publisher now.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, AFAIK, Weis & Hickman are still writing novels together (including the Sov. Stone novels), so I don't see why they wouldn't work on Dragonlance together.

My guess is, it's likely that most the game design work will be done by game designers - probably the same bunch that does Sov. Stone, plus various free-lancers. Given that they've very very fan friendly people (and Sovereign Press is a very fan friendly company), they'll likely work with the DL Nexus.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads