[PR] Wild Spellcraft now available!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Woohoo! We're into the RPGNow bestsellers list already after just one day. Of course, we have to complete with BoEM2 which comes out today...

RPGNow

Most of our sales don't actually come from RPGNow, though.

However, let me take this opportunity to say that I think RPGNow is a very cool site and there's lots of good stuff there. While (to be totally honest) I get more if you buy directly through me, if you're also going to be picking up some of the great stuff that's there RPGNow is a great way to get a bunch of good game material at once.

I've reviewed the adventure that you'll find there called Toad God's Treasure on my site--it's not bad. I've also looked at Darwin's World, Librum Equitis, THEE COMPLEAT LIBRUM OV GAR’UDOK’S NECROMANTIC ARTES and a few others. They are all worth exploring, I think.

For that matter, to bring this around to the topic at hand, Wild Spellcraft, upon first glance, looks pretty cool. I'll hopefully soon have more time to peruse it at length.

Great Job!

Ranger & Morrus:

Just wanted to let you know that I purchased the book a few minutes ago, and upon first glance -- its very impressive indeed!

The biggest gripe that I have at this point, would be the severe mistake of not using columns throughout the work (this will probably be the book's biggest issue, if not the only).

Formatting aside, congrats to everyone that contributed and great job!

Note to self, everyone wants columns. :)

But despite what some people suggest, I don't want to release books that don't have art. I think the art of Todd Lockwood and Sam Wood, in those Dragon magazine teaser articles, sold me on 3e before I even saw any of the rules, so I think illustrations are vitally important. But then again, my girlfriend is an artist, so she probably biased me.

You've lost me.

RangerWickett said:
But despite what some people suggest, I don't want to release books that don't have art. I think the art of Todd Lockwood and Sam Wood, in those Dragon magazine teaser articles, sold me on 3e before I even saw any of the rules, so I think illustrations are vitally important. But then again, my girlfriend is an artist, so she probably biased me.

Um, who is suggesting this? (Sorry, I haven't heard anyone state that art should have been axed.)

One can have columns and still have artwork.

?

Oh, in one of the reviews, it was suggested that the art really pushed up the file size of the pdf, which might turn off some buyers who have slow connections. Also, printing out the book with pictures is a drain on ink. We tried to mitigate that problem by including the rtf file (note to self: do a Google search in a couple days to make sure no one's posted the file online. ;)), so I'm going to suggest to Russ that we continue to promote the inclusion of good art.

What was your opinion of the art, by the way? The text and layout seems to be getting a lot of attention, but we have two very talented artists who I'm sure want feedback too.

RangerWickett said:
Oh, in one of the reviews, it was suggested that the art really pushed up the file size of the pdf, which might turn off some buyers who have slow connections.

Bah!

The zip file is only 4.79 megs in size, which mirrors the file sizes of some of the more prominent .pdf publishers. (It sounds as if someone was nit-picking.)

Originally posted by RangerWickett
Also, printing out the book with pictures is a drain on ink.

Bah -- another lame complaint!

1. The artwork offered in WS is all in B&W and there is very little shading (which causes massive black printing).

2. You've offered an .rtf file to compensate for the inclusion of artwork, if people have a problem.

3. Where are the complaints regarding other d20 companies and printing? If it is good for some (a few of whom, force color), then it should be good for N20P.

RangerWickett said:
We tried to mitigate that problem by including the rtf file (note to self: do a Google search in a couple days to make sure no one's posted the file online. ;)), so I'm going to suggest to Russ that we continue to promote the inclusion of good art.

Well, in case you couldn't already tell, I would second that motion.

Originally posted by RangerWickett
What was your opinion of the art, by the way? The text and layout seems to be getting a lot of attention, but we have two very talented artists who I'm sure want feedback too.

I really enjoyed the artwork in WS -- it is a nice change of pace (very 1st edition-ish, but with a lighter feel).

1. I love the cover, but wish it had a 'crisper' feel.

2. Is there any way for you to include the artist name next to the art in the future? (Sorry, I like knowing who is doing what art.)

All in all, the artwork is very nice.

Oh, that's another error that will have to be fixed in future products. For the record, though, it's fairly easy to tell what is whose art.

Any picture of Anna, the human cleric, is by J Ryan Machan.

Any picture of Meece, the gnomish sorcerer/pandaemonicist with giant hummingbird wings, is by JL Jones.

Any picture of Nadia, the dwarvish wizard/sculptor of chaos, is drawn by me, and inked by JL Jones (except for the last one in the book, which is poorly inked, and done entirely be me).

Remove ads