D&D 3E/3.5 [PrC Revision for 3.5e] Shadowthorne

Buddha the DM

Explorer
Shadowthorne Prestige Class

The shadowthorne are the elven blooded experts of reconnaissance, stealth, search & rescue, and disposal (the ugly task of assassination) should they be called upon to fulfill that last roll. The shadowthorne have for centuries been the eyes, and ears for those with elven blood. They quietly observe everything, gathering information which they report back to their superiors who then tell them what to do, and when to act. Shadowthorne are only spoken of in hushed tones, and in darkened corners, for they are feared for their efficiency in relaying information back to their masters, and in carrying out their masters orders.

Hit Die: 1d6

Class Skills: The shadowthorne’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex)
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

Requirements: To qualify to become a shadowthorne, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Race: Elven Blood
Sneak Attack: +3d6
Class Features: Evasion
Feats: Weapon Focus (Longsword and Composite Longbow or Composite Shortbow), Far Shot

Shadowthorne Progression:
BAB: Full
Fort/Ref/Will: Poor/Good/Poor

Special
01. Sudden Strike
02. Ranged Sneak +30 ft, Invisibility 1/day
03. Weapon Bond
04. -
05. Ranged Sneak +60 ft, Nondetection 1/day
06. Ghost in the Wind (+3)
07. Improved Evasion
08. Ranged Sneak +90 ft, Invisibility 2/day
09. Ghost in the Wind (+6)
10. Critical Strike, Nondetection 2/day

Sudden Strike: A shadowthorne grows more skilled at striking without warning; as such the character gains a +2 bonus to initiative. This bonus stacks with the bonus that is gained from the Improved Initiative feat.

Ranged Sneak: The range at which the extra damage from a sneak attack can be applied is increased by 30 feet at level 2. The range is further increased by another 30 feet at levels 5 and 8.

Weapon Bond: The character’s attack bonus with a Longsword and the Bow (in which the character had Weapon Focus for when entering the PrC) increases by +1.

Critical Strike: A shadowthorne’s skill at delivering crippling blows grows stronger. The character’s critical threat range when using a Longsword, Composite Longbow, or Composite Shortbow increased by 1. Thus a Composite Long Bow would be 19-20, and not 20. This bonus is applied before factoring in the Improved Critical feat or a weapons keen enhancement if it has it.

Ghost in the Wind: The shadowthorne adds the ghost in the wind modifier to their hide and move silently checks.

Invisibility (Sp): Gains the ability to cast invisibility 1/day at level 2, and a second use of invisibility at Level 8. Invisibility is cast as a sorcerer of a level equal to the shadowthorne’s character level.

Nondetection (Sp): Gains the ability to cast nondetection 1/day at level 5, and a second use of nondetection at Level 8. Nondetection is cast as a sorcerer of a level equal to the shadowthorne’s character level.

Jai Kel

Lurker Extraordinaire
Just a note... Weapon Focus (Longbow) and Weapon Focus (Shortbow) cover the composite versions in 3.5e.

Reference the descriptions of the weapons in the PHB (p.119/120).

Mordane76

First Post
You have a typo in the Nondetection ability (Level 5 and 10, not 8).

I think the Ranged Sneak Bonus might be too much. Being able to sneak attack someone at a distance of 24 squares (120 ft) would impose a -12 to the Spot check (unless I missed a change in the Spot rules in 3.5) to find the attacker if the attacker drops down to hide, and the Shadowthorne gets a bonus to Hide from Ghost in the Wind.

I think it would be better to go up in increments of 15 feet, so that a 10th level Shadowthorne could sneak attack at a range of 15 squares (75 feet), which is still incredibly respectable, and only imposes a -7 on the Spot check (before the Shadowthorne's Ghost in the Wind bonuses).

Jai Kel

Lurker Extraordinaire
I really like the idea of this class. But I agree that the ranged sneak attack should be less... 15 ft. increments seem weird to me though. How about something like a 20 ft. boost and then two 10 ft. boosts at the later levels?

Remove ads