• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(PrC) Thug Type Prestige Class

harmyn

First Post
Another class that I had come up with. A mashing of odd thoughts, this one came about just this morning. Please look it over and let me know what you think. I could really use some help in getting these things down pat.

Just as a frame of reference, this would be for the Lankhmar Campaign Setting (a low magic game). Please let me know what you think. The Slayers' Brotherhood is a guild of thugs hired to act as bruisers and bouncers by the city's population.

Attack Bonus: Like Fighter
Saves: Fortitude is Primary

REQUIREMENTSREQUIREMENTS
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Skills: Intimidate 6 ranks, Sense Motive 3 ranks
Feats: Alertness, Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack
Special: Must be a member of the Slayers’ Brotherhood

CLASS SKILLSCLASS SKILLS
Str: Climb, Jump, Swim
Dex: Use Rope
Con:
Int: Craft (any), Knowledge (local)
Wis: Listen, Sense Motive, Spot
Chr: Bluff, Intimidate

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier

CLASS FEATURESCLASS FEATURES
Hit Dice: 1d10 per level + Con modifier
Weapons and Armor Proficiency: All simple and martial weapons.

1st level - Precise Strike: A Journeyman Slayer learns how to aim blows for maximum desired effect. When they attempt to deal subdual damage with a weapon that deals lethal damage, or when attempting to deal lethal damage with their fist, the Journeyman receives only a -2 penalty. At 4th level the penalty is completely removed.
2nd level - Power Strike: At 2nd level the Journeyman has become an expert at unarmed combat; increasing the damage they deal from 1d3 to 1d4 points of damage.
3rd level - Subdual Damage Reduction: As the Journeyman advances, he gains the ability to shrug off some subdual damage. The Journeyman ignores subdual damage equal to their Constitution bonus (minimum of 1 point).
4th level - Stunning Fist: At 4th level the Journeyman receives the Stunning Fist feat, even if he doesn’t meet the requirements for it.
5th level - Staggering Blow: At 5th level, the Journeyman has become such an expert at rendering opponents unconscious they deal 1d6 points of stun damage with each blow they successfully land.

Please give me help and guidance, all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

harmyn

First Post
So, this other one. Does it seem reasonable? Good,bad, just too off for words?
All help and critiquing would be greatly appreciated.

Kroax

Explorer
Just a couple of thoughts at first sight:

Precise Strike: Nice idea, but what's the point of reducing the penalty to deal lethal damage when unarmed when the Improved Unarmed Strike feat completely removes it? How about removing the whole penalty to dealing nonlethal damage whit normal weapons instead? In BoED there's a feat doing just this.

Maybe an idea would be to give it a "nonlethal sneak attack" and/or the option to use it's normal sneak attack to deal nonlethal damage with?

Just my two pieces of copper.

harmyn

First Post
Precise Strike: Nice idea, but what's the point of reducing the penalty to deal lethal damage when unarmed when the Improved Unarmed Strike feat completely removes it? How about removing the whole penalty to dealing nonlethal damage whit normal weapons instead? In BoED there's a feat doing just this.

Maybe an idea would be to give it a "nonlethal sneak attack" and/or the option to use it's normal sneak attack to deal nonlethal damage with?

I didn't even think about that point. How about making lethal dealing damage weapons have no penalty when used to subdue (per your suggestion) at level 1. Then at level 4, they gain the ability to convert Sneak Attack dice into subdual damage attacks.

That might be able to work.

Kroax

Explorer
Sounds great!

Hmm... I think one of my players mught be interested in this prestige class, but I might not let him. At least not yet. I might got an idea on how to incorporate them into my campaign...

*Evil grin*

Remove ads