Pre-order D&D 3.5 books for $17.61

TalonComics

First Post
Agnostic Paladin said:
Sorry Derek, but I can't afford the cross-border shipping fees, so I'll be preordering from whatever canadian online retailer can give me a decent price. Right now, that looks to be Amazon.ca. If I buy them locally, I'll pay 20% over cover, and I'd rather see the only local gaming store go under rather than be gouged that badly.

I can understand that. Being gouged is a different story. Shipping to Canada is pretty cheap actually from the US. I guess it's the exchange rate that is the worst.

~D

techno

Explorer
Many people are saying that they can't afford $90 to upgrade to D&D 3.5. This simply gives them an option to do so for much less. I really don't see anything wrong with this.

While I understand the arguement against it...this is great for the consumer. That's what capitalism is all about. If people can't keep up with other companies, then they fail...that's how it works, even if we don't like it. That kind of competition helps me as a consumer because I can find low prices like this. :)

Wormwood

Adventurer
I really understand Talon's point. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool capitalist, but I also derive *tangible* rewards from visiting my FLGS, higher prices or not (in the form of better service and selection).

Yet when I saw the Wal-Mart prices I leapt at the opportunity to pre-order. Didn't even stop to think, my Scottish ancestry took one look at the price and clicked away.

I guess my conscience is assuaged by the knowledge that I've bought my entire 3e line from my FLGS (Emerald City in Largo), and I'll be buying a TON of the WotC miniatures there.

Free Market Darwinism be damned, these stores do more than just supply the hobby---they drive it.

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
TalonComics said:
Okay, that's it. Wal Mart selling D&D books online for 41% off is the last straw. My pet peeve has now been mangled.

[

I can't find a delicate way to put this, but the horror stories on this board about many online stores have made me very leery of doing business online with small gaming stores. Luckily I have an excellent FLGS nearby where I don't mind paying the slightly higher price in return for the excellent service and personal friendship with the owner. But if a store both fails to deliver excellent service AND has a higher price, then I see no reason why they shouldn't fail.

Aristotle

First Post
It is really one of thost sticky situations isn't it?

I have been a faithful customer to a number of different gaming stores through the years. My current store rocks. I get good service, a huge selection, and a place to meet others who game.

...but...

M wallet has been hit hard by the economy, and my need to pay for a home and other necesities leaves me with very little "hobby money".

So, I (and others like me) understand the plight of the FLGS, bust also have to deal with my (our) own plight. That of the consumer.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
TalonComics said:
Okay, that's it. Wal Mart selling D&D books online for 41% off is the last straw. My pet peeve has now been mangled.

Wal Mart, which has one of the worst reputations for destroying locally owned businesses, couldn't care a less whether the gaming market thrives much less even exists. Their only goal is make you buy products from them. Period. End of story.

Any of the big chains destroy local businesses, since no local business can take advantage of the bulk buying the chains can, or the ability to shift inventory based on region. Even normal chains see a loss in business when a discounter moves in.

For example: we used to have three used book stores here, and two independent book stores (one of which carried games), and one outlet of Chain X. Then Books-A-Million moved in. Within the year, both indep book stores were out of business, one of the used books stores was gone, and Chain X saw a 25% drop in their sales. So, it's not just Wal-mart.

As far as the gaming store promoting gaming? I patronized the bookstore/gaming store for many years. Several of us bought things there on a regular basis. The guy who ran the gaming section told us that, in fact, the gaming section paid for most of the rest of the store. We also went to the FLGS, and spent quite a bit there as well.

Then the card game phenomenon happened. Now, a store only has so much cash to spread around. Both the FGLS and the bookstore decided to spend the majority of that on cards. They did a tremendous business, but only with the card people. The RPG people, who had built the business, found that we'd see only the largest of the releases from the big companies. Anything else, we'd have to special order.

It's over 100 miles to the next nearest place to buy games. Both of those stores there converted almost entirely to card games; they'd have one small rack of D&D, Hero and the next biggest seller, and some backstock.

Then the card game market began to contract. Suddenly, the FLGS found that many of their old customers were not around anymore. They would buy through the mail (those who would buy a release sight-unseen) or go to Atlanta, to Oxford (which itself eventually folded due to BAM and other factors). The bookstore went under due to BAM, but the game store section of it could have survived if they'd kept the old customers.

Only in the last three-four years has the FLGS built back it's customer base, and that was only with a change of management. Only with the release of d20 has wall space moved away from Warhammer.

So, the FLGS is not there to 'promote gaming', it's there to make cash the same as any other business, and will do what it needs to to make that cash (be that a good or bad decision). It'll 'promote' whatever facet of gaming happens to be the big seller.

A'koss

Explorer
I find that I'm in much the same boat as Aristotle, I've always faithfully supported our local hobby shop but now that I'm a homeowner and in this tough economy... The fact I can buy the 3 core books at Amazon.ca and save about $40 CDN & free shipping, that's a whole other hardback.

A'koss.

maddman75

First Post
Do they never learn? Gamers jumping *again* to pre-order from Amazon. Yeah, and you'll see them on your FLGS and bookstore shelves for a month before your 'preorder' arrives. Happens with every big release.

Modern America seems to hate heterogeneity. I live in a small town area, and have seen almost all of the family owned local shops fall before the might of wal-mart. Gas stations, restraunts, grocery stores - they all fall before the chains. Even ten years ago this area had nice little places to eat all over the place. Nowadays - well there's an Applebees up the road, same as everywhere else.

Remove ads