Pre-order D&D 3.5 books for $17.61

TalonComics

First Post
MeepoTheMighty said:

I can't find a delicate way to put this, but the horror stories on this board about many online stores have made me very leery of doing business online with small gaming stores. Luckily I have an excellent FLGS nearby where I don't mind paying the slightly higher price in return for the excellent service and personal friendship with the owner. But if a store both fails to deliver excellent service AND has a higher price, then I see no reason why they shouldn't fail.

But what you're saying is you're supporting what I'm saying gamers should support. I totally agree with you! As a small retailer I've made a ton of mistakes and paid the price. Heck, I'm still paying the price.

techno said:
Many people are saying that they can't afford $90 to upgrade to D&D 3.5. This simply gives them an option to do so for much less. I really don't see anything wrong with this.

I'm not saying don't buy from discounters, heck, I'm discounting the books, however, supporting massive discounters like Wal Mart and Amazon *will* kill this hobby. I'm not making it up, I'm not speculating, it's a fact Wal Mart kills small businesses. My point is tabletop gaming won't exist without speciality stores selling gaming publishers product.

~D

David Argall

First Post
History lesson

In loads of industries the little guy got/gets squeezed out, and to our benefit. We can sympathize with the ones seeing their business vanish, but the basic point is that they are/were high prices for less service and we correctly made other choices and would not think of going back.
That it is now the turn of game stores is rough for the game store, but still beneficial to the game. And the more they talk of other unpaid for benefits, the more one can figure the alternative is better.

Fenes 2

First Post
I have seen my favorite bookstore and my favorite LGS go out of business in the last years. Both were a place not only to shop, but to hang out, chat, and - in the case of the LGS - game on the weekends.
Nowadays I order both novels and game books online, since the big chains in my hometown have less of a selection than online companies, and still charge more.

Numion

First Post
If I had the chance to order those book at that price, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But, living in northern europe, that is not to be. I'm forced to support the FLGS that has crappy service and high prices. I'm usually more familiar with d20 release schedules than the stores employees are ;)

Derek is arguing that the gaming shop holds some value to the hobby other than selling the products. For the people who hang there and such this probably is true. For me it isn't. I don't hang at any stores. I buy gaming products and carry them home and play with my friends. I don't need the 'scene' any more than I need a 'scene' for monopoly. But thats just me.

This internet community is another thing, though... :)

jasper

Rotten DM
please buy from my local hobby shop or I will go out of business. Walmart will kill me and feed my organs to orcs.
TOUGH
Does walmart sell minis? No
Does walmart sell modules? No
Does walmart sell mini paints? Yes testors for the few models they have on the shelves.
Does walmart sell dice? yes but only d6

please my city has went throught 4 game shops over the years. Market share, thieves, bad market choices etc has reduce it to one at any one time. And the only time we had two, the owner got shot in a robbery.
As customer when I walk in I would like a hello or just wave. I know you don't control the price or how many issues the company fails to ship but please after coming up empty so many times I will take my money else where. And please remind your babies that they need to make a hole for the customers.

herald

First Post
Wormwood said:
I guess my conscience is assuaged by the knowledge that I've bought my entire 3e line from my FLGS (Emerald City in Largo), and I'll be buying a TON of the WotC miniatures there.

I thought that Emerald City was in Seminole, not Largo.

RigaMortus

Explorer
The day walmart puts up gaming tables is the day I'll stop going to my local gaming store... Even then, it would seem a little weird playing DnD at a walmart while people walk by shopping for clothes... heh

The point is, gaming stores have more to offer than just "books". They have things to offer that walmart can't or wouldn't offer, and they need to captialize on that fact if they fear going out of business...

Harlock

First Post
Rant!

MeepoTheMighty said:
But if a store both fails to deliver excellent service AND has a higher price, then I see no reason why they shouldn't fail.

That's a snipped quote, but it sums up my feelings about my LGS completely. Since 3e came out up until December of 2002 I spent $1200 US on d20 product alone. Let's not forget Warhammer, paints, other minis, a few chainmail box sets, Warlord TCG, dice, etc. ad naseum. In the 2 years that d20 had been out I dropped full price for everything I bought from my LGS and sepnt over two grand for gaming stuff. Normally i would not mind. George is a nice owner. I like him personally. I hang out there just to visit with him. Now, flashback to May of 2002. I have been letting George know from day one I have wanted the Farscape d20 RPG. It's only one book. I even give him updates as AEG releases expected date after expected date... Not George's fault the darn book is delayed time and again. But, I've talked to him about it quite a bit, he's getting the book too as he is a fan of the show etc. He forgets to order it when it comes out. My book goes on "backorder" with the distributor. I know who his distributor is, and it seems other people are getting it around here etc. but hey, I give him the benefit of the doubt. So one day I am at the LGS, picking up a couple of items. I ask about the Farscape book while I'm checking out and George says, "Oh, you didn't get one?" I of course do not, why would I ask... "We got those in last week, I got one, and one sold while I was out of the store, I assumed you picked it up." Oh, of course, I mean no one else would dare buy my book that you never called me about and set on the new arrivals shelf, now would they? "Well, we should have one left, let me check." Sure enough, still on the new arrival shelf behind two other books is the very last Farscape book in this town. Needless to say, I am a little miffed that not only did I get the book about 2 months late, even having asked George to get it in ASAP, but I almost don't even get it then. Still, everyone makes a mistake and I am willing to overlook this one. Now, still in the past, but flash forward to December.

I am just getting into Scarred Lands at this time. Rabidly at that. I want to order the SL Campaign Setting Ghelspad book. I drop in George's place, he says he's placing an order soon, I'll get the book Friday if I want to come in and pick it up. He asks for the name again, but he goes over to the register and writes it down on a sheet of scrap paper. Already I have visions of not getting my book. Sure enough, come friday I go in and 'lo, George says he has my book probably in one of the boxes he is going through. He digs around a bit and he pulls out... wait for it... Ravenloft. I say nope, wrong book, you wrote down SL CS Ghelspad, I saw you. He apologizes, forgot he wrote it down, proceeds to pull out a formal special order slip from a folder and asks for the name again. Then, and get this, this is important, I pay full price, I expect full service with little hassle: He asks me for the ISBN. I don't know the ISBN is my reply. He says, "go home, look it up on the internet and call me. That way I know exactly what you want." Oh, is my surprised and shocked reply. So now, let me get this straight, not only am I a regular customer (the best kind) I occasionally get a windfall (tax return, christmas money etc.) and blow most of it in your store, I pay FULL price and Texas' outrageous sales tax (we don't have a state income tax, it is all generated through sales tax) and now I get to do ALL of the legwork for you. No thanks. I walked right across the street to the local Hastings Books Music an Video store, told the lady at the book counter what I wanted, she said they'd get it in 2 weeks and I'd get a 20% discount on it. Guess what? I don;t waste my money at George's store anymore. When I have been a great customer for a long time and only bothered you twice for a special order and you have screwed both of them up and then asked ME to fix it, I shop somewhere else.

Derek, I understand your situation. Truly I do. If it wasn't a 4 and a half hour drive to your store, I'd probably shop there. If Texas didn't have this stupid over 8% sales tax, I'd probably order from you. As it stands now, I am ordering from places outside of Texas or from the local Big Chain Bookstore, Hastings, to at least support a local group of workers. Going to talk to them about a gaming bulletin board or something as well so folks can find games, etc. I really struggled with this issue. I want to support local gaming, but this is outrageous. Full price = full service. Sorry for the rant, but I wanted to add to Meepo's quote and just show Derek (who I happen to like actually) that sometimes people try to support an LGS, but the frelling owner screws it up. Thank you, good night. /Rant

Airwolf

First Post
Well, being the true American capitalist that I am, I will be ordering from who ever gives me the best price.

As I recall Amazon was selling 3e books when they came out and the hobby has not died yet. I doubt that Wal-Mart will kill it when 3.5 hits the stands.

Last edited:

KDLadage

Explorer
FLGS (Friendly Local Game Store). I got out of the Navy in 1997 and returned to Iowa. In this time, I have seen:
  • A local comic shop/game store turn to nothing but comics and card games despite my begging to give him my money if he would just special order the stuff I wanted. He responded "If I special order it for you, I would have to special order it for everybody." He went out of business in 1998.
  • A local game shop in a local mall where the owner would verbally abuse anyone that was not playing the games he liked. For example, I wanted to get In Nomine from him and he berated me for a half hour about how Steve Jackson Games was just trying to create some World of Darkness want-to-be... he refused to carry or special order many of the lines of games I wanted to buy -- again, despite my begging to give him my money. The partnership there split, and the store starved as they guy who owned it wondered why nobody wanted to come in. Go figure. Went out of business in early 1999 after only a year and a half of doing business.
  • A local game store that had been a staple of the area (M&M Games) go up in flames -- literally -- in 2000. The owner had decided he did not want to own a store any more and torched the place. He had recently upgraded his insurance and managed to nearly kill three people next door in a tanning salon. He was arrested for arson and is still doing time.
  • After M&M was gone, some local kids started a special order only joint called Charging Rhino. They built some great gametables and invited people to come down, order stuff, play and have a good time. This was not a business, it was a hoby for these guys. As such, they were in business for all of six months.
  • Excalibur games was started by one of the employees of M&M Games in 2001. It is holding its Going out of Buisiness sale now. The guy that owned it was a great salesman -- but a terrible business man. I once got the run arround for six months over some books I wanted. Litterally, once again, begging to give a FLGS my money. I ended up ordering it on te Net and he was pissed that I found alternate routes to getting my stuff. I had several people, because of me, order over $6000 in material from him only to have him refuse to order it.

Right now, we have no FLGSs.

In other words, I have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth for FLGSs...

Last edited:

Remove ads