Pre-Order The Altered Carbon RPG!

Renegade Game Studios has announced pre-orders for its Altered Carbon RPG, as well as a deluxe edition and GM screen. The game is slated for a September release. You get a free PDF with your order, but not until September. "In this transhumanist neo-noir vision of the future, the human mind is nothing more than digital code -Digital Human Freight - saved and stored in a Cortical Stack...

Renegade Game Studios has announced pre-orders for its Altered Carbon RPG, as well as a deluxe edition and GM screen. The game is slated for a September release. You get a free PDF with your order, but not until September.

"In this transhumanist neo-noir vision of the future, the human mind is nothing more than digital code -Digital Human Freight - saved and stored in a Cortical Stack, advanced technology that allows you to "re-sleeve" your entire consciousness into a new body.

In the Official Altered Carbon Role Playing Game, wear any body you can afford, transmit your mind across the cosmos in an instant, and, if you've got the credits and political cachet, you can re-sleeve time and again for centuries, accumulating enough wealth and power over the millennia to become the societal equivalent of an immortal god."

AC_CR_NoShadow_800x800.png

The limited edition version has a a different cover, plus a slip case. It comes in at $90 (as opposed to $50 for the regular edition).

Altered+Carbon+Deluxe+Edition+3D.png

The GM screen is $20 and features a futurist skyline, with various tables on the back.

AC_GM_Screen.png

Mercador

Adventurer
So I don't really understand the hate. Because it's not crime / noir? It did not want to be that. Because the protagonist is played by a different actor? It's supposed to be like that.

If you want my point of view...

I really dig those books a few years back (a decade?), I recommend the first one often to friends and colleagues because I think Morgan got some new clever ideas. When I watched the first season, I thought it was well made and really loved the CGI, so I was eager to watch the second season. Started the first episode, not even finished it and never came back.

It feels different? It's not the same series anymore, it's not the same soul. I'm not quite sure how to write it down in English but it's not the same DNA at all. It's like both series were completely on a different director / budget. It's not even similar to the story (from what I watched).

Since there's people like you that liked the second season, I guess I should try again. But that's not the only series that I have difficulties to watch the followup; haven't watch Lost in Space #2, haven't watch Westworld #3 yet, had difficulties to finish even Ghost in the Shell (though I'm #1 fan of that anime). I'm not too sure why but with the pandemic, I'm not entertained anymore by tv shows.

stadi

Explorer
If you want my point of view...

I really dig those books a few years back (a decade?), I recommend the first one often to friends and colleagues because I think Morgan got some new clever ideas. When I watched the first season, I thought it was well made and really loved the CGI, so I was eager to watch the second season. Started the first episode, not even finished it and never came back.

It feels different? It's not the same series anymore, it's not the same soul. I'm not quite sure how to write it down in English but it's not the same DNA at all. It's like both series were completely on a different director / budget. It's not even similar to the story (from what I watched).

Since there's people like you that liked the second season, I guess I should try again. But that's not the only series that I have difficulties to watch the followup; haven't watch Lost in Space #2, haven't watch Westworld #3 yet, had difficulties to finish even Ghost in the Shell (though I'm #1 fan of that anime). I'm not too sure why but with the pandemic, I'm not entertained anymore by tv shows.

Don't get me wrong please, this is not meant to be an insult: one needs to appreciate change (or for something to be different than expected) to appreciate some things.

We are used to for serieses (be it books, movies or TV shows) to be more of the same. Like The Wheel of Time. It's the same style and same kind of story (well, the same story) through all the books.

But then you have something like the Expanse. I'm talking about the novels, not the tv show. The first one was detective noir, the second was a political thriller, the third military sci-fi, then you had survival later and so on. If you were expecting and only accepting detective noir for all the books, then you got dissapointed.

It's the same here. Intentionally different style of story. Intentionaly different actor.

Mercador

Adventurer
But then you have something like the Expanse. I'm talking about the novels, not the tv show. The first one was detective noir, the second was a political thriller, the third military sci-fi, then you had survival later and so on. If you were expecting and only accepting detective noir for all the books, then you got dissapointed.

It's the same here. Intentionally different style of story. Intentionaly different actor.

I get it, but while reading Expanse, each book was excellent. I like different styles, I don't think it's the issue here, it's more deeper than the style, the story is just too different? It feels like a B series as the first one had a bigger budget I guess? I don't mind the change of style, really. It just don't feel the same way the first season was.

And I, too, prefer the books much more.

JCS

Explorer
I certainly prefer the books over the Netflix series, and think they'd provide a richer universe for the RPG.

That said, Season One was far better than Season Two, but those looking for additional stories based in this universe should check out the Netflix anime Altered Carbon: Resleeved. Personally I thought it was better than Season Two, and I wish they used this animation studio for Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 instead of the CGI they adopted.

CapnZapp

Legend
Well, the second book was intentionally written in a different genre than the first.

But at least Richard Morgan changed the name. The second book is named Broken Angels, not Altered Carbon part 2.

Plus - even though the genre is different, the writer is the same, and the "budget" didn't change. (Writing about spaceship battles sure is cheaper than filming them! :) )

Altered Carbon season 2 looks cheap as naughty word, while season 1 to me came across as spectacularly luxurious, which certainly did them no favors.

Diehl

Villager
I think season two was ok.
The problem was that when they changed to action, they failed to do that. The action scenes were terrible with horrible performances.
I enjoyed the Resleeved animation.

Remove ads

Remove ads