D&D 4E Presentation vs design... vs philosophy

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sorry. You are so much fun.

Mod Note:
Your sarcasm has probably rendered your entire post here rather non-constructive.

If that wasn't your goal, now you know. If it was your goal to not be constructive... next time, if that's your goal, just leave off posting please.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Can't speak to THAC0 and Non-Weapon Proficiencies, never having used either, but the other two are to me features rather than bugs: they're good examples of using appropriate tools for different jobs rather than trying to shoehorn everything into one mechanic.

Thief skills being d%? Absolutely - allows for far more granularity than a simple d20. (ditto for various other things that use d% e.g. system shock rolls)

Saving throws? Absolutely - along with what class and level you are and what stats you have, what you're specifically saving against makes a difference in such a system - it's an added variable. One of these days I'd like to expand this further - maybe go to 8 or 10 different types of save rather than just 5 (e.g. split out Poison, Paralyzation and Death into their own charts rather than have them all the same).

I think, if I remember the original point after so long, that part of the issue is consistency.

If you like % rolls because of granularity, then use them. But, then it is better to be consistent in how things are rolled. To make up an example with fake mechanics...

If you are picking a pocket roll 1d100 and subtract the targets perception. If you are rolling stealth roll 1d100 and add your dex. If you are swinging and axe roll 1d20 and add attack bonus which is based off of level.

Learning a system like that, where many skills and checks that are arguably similar in terms of resolution but use different rules and require different types of thinking (whether it matters more if you are skilled or if the target is skilled or well-made), is far more difficult and confusing than learning a system with a single resolution mechanic.

So, if you like percentiles, roll 1d100 add your mod, subtract opponents counter skill. But do that for everything, do not mix and match.

My 2 cents at least.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Why was this thread that has drifted into jokes and been dormant for ten days resurrected after the other thread was closed?
Great question.

Mod note:
I don't know if it is a great question.

Ask yourself this question - Why do you give a hoot? Why do you give a hoot enough to be repetitive about bringing this up in a bout of passive-aggressive finger-pointing at an individual person? Given why you care, was this at all a good way of addressing your concerns?

Next time, if you think there's an issue with how someone is posting, use the reporting function. If you'd brought it up that way, we could have cleanly dealt with it as "continuing a closed discussion". But now, you've made your own behavior the focus. Smooth.

So, the ruling:
Lowkey13 - stop the finger pointing nonsense.
Everyone else - make this about something other than the same topic of a recently closed thread.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases